Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
I’m pretty much following his generalised intermediate programme to the letter, save for occasionally having to bunch days up due to work schedule/midweek matches.

The only thing I’m not doing is pushing as hard on the load drop sets as he recommends. Reason being I’m progressing fairly rapidly without following that bit and I want a ‘where do I go next’ if things start sticking.

Which basically means that I’m directing a similar amount of work to the squat, but only deadlifting once a week with any great intensity, as the variations the general programme incorporates can’t be done with a similar weight to my conventional deadlift by me. With bench I think I kind of fuck it up because my close grip is about as good as my wide grip, and I can’t get as much out of touch and go sets as I can with paused reps (believe it or not).

Regarding bench, I can believe that because it's same here. You've became efficient at pausing. I feel like I get a power loss just off the chest on touch and go, rather than getting any help from the momentum.

What percentage difference is there between your close and wider grip and how close and wide are they on a Texas bar? All of my work at the minute is safety bar or close grip.

Regarding bench, I can believe that because it's same here. You've became efficient at pausing. I feel like I get a power loss just off the chest on touch and go, rather than getting any help from the momentum.

What percentage difference is there between your close and wider grip and how close and wide are they on a Texas bar? All of my work at the minute is safety bar or close grip.

I struggle to maintain back tightness or properly drive off my feet with touch and go.

For close grip, my index fingers are two inches inside the rings on a Texas bar. With wide grip my ring fingers are on the ring.

Probably about 5% difference. Actually thinking about it that’s probably normal. Especially as I never go for a very close grip.

I've not lifted in the ipf before and I don't really have any intention to at the minute while they are quite obviously allowing drug users to lift on the sly, but what i don't understand is that they charge people to compete, but if for arguments sake the best few lifters get injured and can't make it to national comps, they basically refuse to crown a national champion because the real drug free lifters can't lift according to their strength standards.

It's absolutely backward, it means someone could be the best lifter but they will not get a medal or be crowned the champion, ipf will still take their money though ......

Had a pretty terrible 2 months with life getting in the way of training, back to it properly the last 2 weeks and getting back to where I used to be.

Currently at -

Bench - 70kg - never got higuer than 75kg so determined to be at around 85/90kg by the end of the year.

BB squat - 110kg - very happy with this, but I know some of the weight I’ve put on recently has probably helped this be where it’s at.

Deadlift - 100kg
OHP - 30kg - never really trainer this before and struggle to do many reps on this weight so making it a focus area.
Leg press - 300kg

Really enjoying following a basic routine of PPL focusing on the compound lifts mainly with a few added secondary exercises included in each workout.

Currently around 15st7lbs, want to be somewhere around the 13st I was in November!

I've not lifted in the ipf before and I don't really have any intention to at the minute while they are quite obviously allowing drug users to lift on the sly, but what i don't understand is that they charge people to compete, but if for arguments sake the best few lifters get injured and can't make it to national comps, they basically refuse to crown a national champion because the real drug free lifters can't lift according to their strength standards.

It's absolutely backward, it means someone could be the best lifter but they will not get a medal or be crowned the champion, ipf will still take their money though ......

You do compete though don't you? Which federation if you don't mind me asking? Just I had a look at the YNEPF website (I believe it's ultimately affiliated to the IPF) and I wouldn't have finished bottom of my weight class in any of the last three competitions, I'm considering giving it a go. But I'd like to know I was only competing against clean athletes (if that's possible). That also sounds really odd about not crowning a champion!

Training going well for me at the minute. I've just finished the training for the six week bench programme I was doing, going to test all of my one rep max's next Saturday. Went a bit heavier on the squat than I have been today and got 130 for two for my last set, felt like I may pop an eyeball on the second but ground it out, so hoping I may at least maintain on the squat (145 currently). Then I've broken my PB for reps, and beltless, in my last two deadlift sessions, so hoping I may hit that 160 for a single. Still not sure where my bench is going to land, hoping for 90 but think I'd be satisfied with 85 (+10kg from previous PB).

Whilst reading about gumsheilds I came across something saying gripping the bar really hard can improve your lifting too, tried it in my last bench session and think I probably squeezed out an extra rep, small differences but every little helps!

You do compete though don't you? Which federation if you don't mind me asking? Just I had a look at the YNEPF website (I believe it's ultimately affiliated to the IPF) and I wouldn't have finished bottom of my weight class in any of the last three competitions, I'm considering giving it a go. But I'd like to know I was only competing against clean athletes (if that's possible). That also sounds really odd about not crowning a champion!

Training going well for me at the minute. I've just finished the training for the six week bench programme I was doing, going to test all of my one rep max's next Saturday. Went a bit heavier on the squat than I have been today and got 130 for two for my last set, felt like I may pop an eyeball on the second but ground it out, so hoping I may at least maintain on the squat (145 currently). Then I've broken my PB for reps, and beltless, in my last two deadlift sessions, so hoping I may hit that 160 for a single. Still not sure where my bench is going to land, hoping for 90 but think I'd be satisfied with 85 (+10kg from previous PB).

Whilst reading about gumsheilds I came across something saying gripping the bar really hard can improve your lifting too, tried it in my last bench session and think I probably squeezed out an extra rep, small differences but every little helps!
I compete in the abpu alongside the bpu, abpu is drug free, its usually the weakest federation out of all of the drug free feds, the untested bpu is much more competitive as you'd imagine but I just don't see why I should compete against people in the ipf, there's another fed associated with the army I can't remember what it's called which is also supposed to be canny.

Bpu and abpu is the boyo though, people who run it lift themselves and don't take the piss out of lifters. Last year I saw a lad completely fuck his squats up, he opened with too high a lift, got red lighted 3 times and they let him then change his reg to bench and deadlift only, which was nice and meant he hadn't wasted his whole day.

@Charmless Man have you tried squatting with knee wraps or sleeves on? Just I know you are f***ing shit so this might help you from being a total and utter failure, not just in the gym but in every other aspect of your life too.

Something to think about anyway :lol:

Competing on Friday and this might be the first time in my life my best deadlift exceeds my best squat:p

Last edited:
I compete in the abpu alongside the bpu, abpu is drug free, its usually the weakest federation out of all of the drug free feds, the untested bpu is much more competitive as you'd imagine but I just don't see why I should compete against people in the ipf, there's another fed associated with the army I can't remember what it's called which is also supposed to be canny.

Bpu and abpu is the boyo though, people who run it lift themselves and don't take the piss out of lifters. Last year I saw a lad completely fuck his squats up, he opened with too high a lift, got red lighted 3 times and they let him then change his reg to bench and deadlift only, which was nice and meant he hadn't wasted his whole day.

@Charmless Man have you tried squatting with knee wraps or sleeves on? Just I know you are f***ing shit so this might help you from being a total and utter failure, not just in the gym but in every other aspect of your life too.

Something to think about anyway :lol:

Competing on Friday and this might be the first time in my life my best deadlift exceeds my best squat:p

I’ve never used wraps but yes I do tend to squat in sleeves.

I’m going to ignore the rest of this obvious fishing trip.

Do you get anything from them do ya think?

Yeah quite a lot. Even just keeping your knee joints warm if it’s cold is a benefit.

I only use them for top sets when I’m doing ‘competition style’ squats though. Any assistance stuff and I tend not to bother.

All I’d say is I don’t get the maximum benefit as my legs are between a L and XL size in SBD sleeves. I wear XL and they’re just a touch loose.

Recently bought some liquid chalk, and also worked on my grip strength by doing one arm hangs from the pull up bar as it was always my grip that went first.
Added 10kg to my deads, managed 150kg for 2 reps

Recently bought some liquid chalk, and also worked on my grip strength by doing one arm hangs from the pull up bar as it was always my grip that went first.
Added 10kg to my deads, managed 150kg for 2 reps

Good work sir! I'm about to go out now to test my 1rm's - think it may be the grip that lets me down on the deadlift. Don't know until you've tried though!

Going to be back benching three plates in the next 3-4 weeks if all goes according to plan. Hallelujah.

And when I say ‘back’. Naturally I mean I did it once for a single about 3 years ago :lol:
You should come to the abpu you'd do well and you won't believe how much a bit of adrenaline gives you a lift

Back