Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Just go on here lads for ANYTHING at all powerlifting related.

http://www.elitefts.net/

If you can't learn from Tate, Wendler, Schwaub, Kroc, McMillan, Bryant, Darden and especially the king of Westside Barbell himself Louie Simmons well just give up!

I've been using the broz method modified for powerlifting and if I lift big 1 day I lift very light the next etc but after a month I've smashed all my previous bests by roughly 15kg. routines like this might not last forever with the workload but what it does teach you is how to handle your biggest weight with much more confidence, and if you don't break a record today you have tomorrow so you never overeach like when you only have 1 or less goes at a pr per week

Just go on here lads for ANYTHING at all powerlifting related.

http://www.elitefts.net/

If you can't learn from Tate, Wendler, Schwaub, Kroc, McMillan, Bryant, Darden and especially the king of Westside Barbell himself Louie Simmons well just give up!

Great site, I posted their dead, squat and bench videos a while back. I've read loads of Louie Simmons' stuff aswell but you need to change his conjugate method around if you aren't geared.

However, this isn't me trying to come off as some sort of powerlifting guru, more just a thread for people to post about powerlifting related topics. Same as bodybuilding, running etc in this section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a speed bench and grip session before a game of footy.

Bench 8x3
Static holds 3x30sec

I was just doing ~60% of that weeks 3RM on deads. My grip strength isn't great so I train with straps on my heavier sets and then train my grip seperately.

What do you do to train your grip? Mine is crap and I prefer to train without straps.

There are numerous things you can do to supplement your usual programme to add in grip work.

Stuff like plate pinching is a good finisher. Also incorporate farmers walks or Kroc rows into your regime, these will help your grip no end.

If you incorporate rack pulls, heavy barbell shrugs, speed shrugs on a barbell try swapping between using straps and not using straps. Your grip will invariably fail towards the end but you'll keep moving forwards with your improvements.

felt like I was going to black out when bench pressing today, I racked it ok but i was seeing stars and it could've been really nasty, where's best to buy some spottors as I train on me tod.

Is there nobody at the gym you could ask, or do you train at home? As much as I hate asking people to spot me at the gym because most of them fuck it up, sometimes it has to be done.

Or you could just floor press/bench press for a while in the powerrack and set the safety pins low enough that it wouldn't crush you if you missed the lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there nobody at the gym you could ask, or do you train at home? As much as I hate asking people to spot me at the gym because most of them fuck it up, sometimes it has to be done.

Or you could just floor press/bench press for a while in the powerrack and set the safety pins low enough that it wouldn't crush you if you missed the lift.

the squat rack isn't adjustable, i have to stand on plates when squatting.

i'll check to see how high it is with a bench in, i do get people to spot me now and then but they always try to help me even though i'm incredibly clear i only want help when i have sat the weight in my chest after failing, since no one really ever does that i just fail and ask the nearest person to lift it off me chest if i fail, but that won't help if i go limp and drop the bar on my chest obviously.

i took some beta alanine with taurine this morning and i've wanted to sleep ever since, do you think it something to do with that.

the squat rack isn't adjustable, i have to stand on plates when squatting.

i'll check to see how high it is with a bench in, i do get people to spot me now and then but they always try to help me even though i'm incredibly clear i only want help when i have sat the weight in my chest after failing, since no one really ever does that i just fail and ask the nearest person to lift it off me chest if i fail, but that won't help if i go limp and drop the bar on my chest obviously.

i took some beta alanine with taurine this morning and i've wanted to sleep ever since, do you think it something to do with that.

Same problem I have. I tell people quite clearly: "Let me get my grip and my arch and THEN step up to the bench". They never usually listen though, unless I'm training with a mate.

Could be because of the taurine

Same problem I have. I tell people quite clearly: "Let me get my grip and my arch and THEN step up to the bench". They never usually listen though, unless I'm training with a mate.

Could be because of the taurine

i once got 2 lads to spot me squatting and one lad held the weight for me and the other didn't :lol: oof that could've ended so badly

This site is fantastic spent a few days just trawling through it cheers.

I've spent the last 3 years going through that and a few others mate. :)

Knowledge is power but be careful not to get too engrossed in information from unreliable sources with your training. I would include forums in that ironically enough as some of the worst information you could possibly receive is on forums. :)

This forum tends to be the same group of lads who all seem sound and have great intentions which is very good but always research for yourself mate and see what works best for you and your goals.

Sites such as that one are the place to go if you are ever in doubt.

Best of luck.

God. Basically.

Last edited:

Back