Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
3 sessions down and can confirm it’s gonna be a long road back. Legs are wrecked from the sudden workload of squatting 3 times a week.

Got to say the facilities at ultraflex are ridiculously good, machines I’ve never seen before for my assistance work. Discovered the pullover machine today, brutal.
The Durham one? It’s near to our offices, loads of meat head boy racers revving their engines around the business park from there. Some nice flap seems to head that way.

The Durham one? It’s near to our offices, loads of meat head boy racers revving their engines around the business park from there. Some nice flap seems to head that way.
Yer that’s the one, some absolute monsters in there like, then there’s the fitness models, the geordie shore lot. The facilities for the price can’t be beat mind.

I’d like some advice, please.

I currently train 3 times a week, full body. 2 exercises per muscle group e.g.

Push: Bench
Pull: Chin-ups
Push: OHP
Pull: dumb bell curls/row
Legs: squat/deadlift
Farmers walks

I swap bench and ohp on alternative days, and sometimes do deadlift first while my grip is decent.

My question:

Is it better to do the x2 push/pull movements consecutively? I.e.

Push: Bench
Push: OHP
Pull: Chin-ups
Pull: dumb bell curls/row
Legs: squat/deadlift
Farmers walks

I would obviously not be able to lift as much on OHP after the bench press, but in the next session I’d do OHP first.

Or doesn’t it really matter?

Last edited:
Few weeks into starting 5x5 Stronglifts. Up to about 65kg squats now and it's starting to get heavy & reckon I'll start to fail reps soon. Is it good practice to fail and just keep trying each session, or better to deload and take a few kg off and try working up again?

Few weeks into starting 5x5 Stronglifts. Up to about 65kg squats now and it's starting to get heavy & reckon I'll start to fail reps soon. Is it good practice to fail and just keep trying each session, or better to deload and take a few kg off and try working up again?
Form first for definite, no point in doing heavy if your form isn’t right. Get comfortable at a weight making sure you’re form is right then move up.

If you're using the app then it makes the adjustments for you I think?

3 sessions down and can confirm it’s gonna be a long road back. Legs are wrecked from the sudden workload of squatting 3 times a week.

Got to say the facilities at ultraflex are ridiculously good, machines I’ve never seen before for my assistance work. Discovered the pullover machine today, brutal.

Ultraflex was originally Iron Athlete before being bought out I believe. The main one in Rotherham looks absolutely ridiculous like. They've got a load of IFBB pros who just relocate from other parts of the country just for all of the machines.

Ultraflex was originally Iron Athlete before being bought out I believe. The main one in Rotherham looks absolutely ridiculous like. They've got a load of IFBB pros who just relocate from other parts of the country just for all of the machines.
Went to the one in Leeds whilst I was studying there, fantastic gym with all sorts of machines that I’ve only ever seen on YouTube videos in the states.

I’ve been failing deadlifts at 3x140kg for weeks now. Moved back to 90%, so 125kg (give or take 1kg) and will stay here till I can get 8 sets of 5 then increase to 95%, then do the same. 140 has been the sticking point for me for ages

I’ve been failing deadlifts at 3x140kg for weeks now. Moved back to 90%, so 125kg (give or take 1kg) and will stay here till I can get 8 sets of 5 then increase to 95%, then do the same. 140 has been the sticking point for me for ages
Are you struggling to get it off the floor or lock it out?
Sometimes even going back down in weight doesn’t get past the higher sticking point if your body has got used to the movement itself

Sorry for unsolicited advice but some slightly lighter deficits will get them 140’s right off the floor / some proper proper heavy rack pulls will get you locking out the 140s with ease

Anyone have much experience of the Wendler 531 stuff?

Specifically Boring But Big with the 13 week challenge.

Hit a git massive brick wall with a couple of PPL splits and started to go backwards now.

Logon or register to see this image

Finished this a bit earlier than scheduled after skipping a deload week and pretty pleased with the results, definitely bigger and stronger anyway. Also thought the estimated 1rm would be bollocks but tested them all and just about managed.

The 5x10 deadlifts at 70% are minging like but here's the plan if anyone's interested - Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge

Not sure what to try next, have a charity MMA fight in November so 8 weeks training for that plus trying to get a 50 minute 10k down. Think I'll definitely come back to it again after all that then move on to the Building The Monolith programme which looks interesting.

Are you struggling to get it off the floor or lock it out?
Sometimes even going back down in weight doesn’t get past the higher sticking point if your body has got used to the movement itself

Sorry for unsolicited advice but some slightly lighter deficits will get them 140’s right off the floor / some proper proper heavy rack pulls will get you locking out the 140s with ease
I can get it up, but on rep 3, my grip comes loose. I use the traditional overhand grip, not hooked, and my fingers just unfurl. If I used straps I’d lash out sets of 5 easily, but I’d rather improve my grip

I can get it up, but on rep 3, my grip comes loose. I use the traditional overhand grip, not hooked, and my fingers just unfurl. If I used straps I’d lash out sets of 5 easily, but I’d rather improve my grip
You tried Liquid chalk? I have issues with my hands on deads and bought Bear Grips which really help. If I forget my grips I use the chalk.

Used to have all sorts of problems with grip until I moved to hook, recommend it if you can be bothered! What grip do you use for 1rm?

Never got a notification for this. Yer it’s by far the best kitted out gym I’ve ever been to, must have spent a fortune. Not sure of the ins and outs of ownership but charlie mardon was up in the gym on Wednesday and anth bailes runs/co-owns it

Never got a notification for this. Yer it’s by far the best kitted out gym I’ve ever been to, must have spent a fortune. Not sure of the ins and outs of ownership but charlie mardon was up in the gym on Wednesday and anth bailes runs/co-owns it

Does he not have a gym in Hetton anymore? Or was that somebody else?

Used to have all sorts of problems with grip until I moved to hook, recommend it if you can be bothered! What grip do you use for 1rm?
A few year ago I got a 170kg 1RM- I used chalk. It also nearly killed me, I did a soviet peaking method program and it was hideously hard

Back