Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

If I die squatting today I would like it on record it's @Titus and Chris duffins fault. Off practising the breathing and bracing it's already made me need me have two shites in 15 minutes! Sweating doing body weight practices in the house might sack this off :lol: (really well explained and thanks really!)

:lol::lol:

It's one of the first things I try to teach. People are used to hearing cues which are really just desired outcomes rather than how to achieve the outcome. Shouting "Chest up, knees out!" at somebody is useless, unless they know how to do it. If they don't, it's about as much use as a manager just standing there shouting "score!" and "defend!". When they learn to brace properly they realise how many other smaller technique issues just fix themselves, but it takes good cueing and a bit of time to master it, especially under load.

It's one of the first things I try to teach. People are used to hearing cues which are really just desired outcomes rather than how to achieve the outcome. Shouting "Chest up, knees out!" at somebody is useless, unless they know how to do it. If they don't, it's about as much use as a manager just standing there shouting "score!" and "defend!". When they learn to brace properly they realise how many other smaller technique issues just fix themselves, but it takes good cueing and a bit of time to master it, especially under load.
I seemed to get much deeper it might be the first time I've ever hit. Best I've felt going up not a massive weight about 80% . Anar what I'm watching on night shift break time tonight lol

I seemed to get much deeper it might be the first time I've ever hit. Best I've felt going up not a massive weight about 80% . Anar what I'm watching on night shift break time tonight lol

Quality. Once you learn to bring it all together and engage the core and the lats properly together, the hips find it so much easier to work.

Quality. Once you learn to bring it all together and engage the core and the lats properly together, the hips find it so much easier to work.
Might sound daft but the love handles or sore felt convinced that's of depth. Got lazy with me lifting big changes coming this year

Evening everyone, felt a pull on left side of lower back while deadlifting, was only lifting 80kg as trying to perfect form. In hindsight was probably still to heavy while only trying to get correct form. Any advice on recovery time etc as defo doesn’t feel to clever?

If I could have double liked this post I would have! Now that I'm working with a coach I've realised that the bench cue of the bar coming down to your solar plexus doesn't work for me because of my body proportions - the desired outcome is having my elbows under my wrists and wrists stacked, what focusing on that cue has done for me has led to flared elbows and cocked wrists. Now have to unlearn in order to relearn. The perils of teaching yourself!

If I could have double liked this post I would have! Now that I'm working with a coach I've realised that the bench cue of the bar coming down to your solar plexus doesn't work for me because of my body proportions - the desired outcome is having my elbows under my wrists and wrists stacked, what focusing on that cue has done for me has led to flared elbows and cocked wrists. Now have to unlearn in order to relearn. The perils of teaching yourself!

Bang on. It's staggering how many decent strength lifters don't know about the elbow relative to the wrist and how it changes muscle activation, joint stress etc.

See almost every body builder in commercial gyms doing close grip bench press as an extreme example. The ultra close grip with the elbow, thus the angle of the humerus relative to the torso, still flaring out and exacerbated by the ultra close grip. Forearms angled diagonally inwards towards the wrist position. Could bring their grip out by about a full fist length length and work their triceps better by having less potential wrist snappage going on and actually being able to bring the elbows closer to the torso by having them stacked.

Anybody reading who doesn't know what I mean can see by simply extending both arms out in front of them with the wrists inside shoulder width, similar to how many do close grip bench in gyms and lowering your hands to your chest whilst maintaining the same distance between hands. The elbows will have to flare quite a bit. Take each hand out by 6 inches and repeat and you'll see that a wider grip actually allows for better tuck of the elbows, closing the angle between the humerus and torso (thus reducing the amount of horizontal shoulder adduction and as a result, pec activation).

Evening everyone, felt a pull on left side of lower back while deadlifting, was only lifting 80kg as trying to perfect form. In hindsight was probably still to heavy while only trying to get correct form. Any advice on recovery time etc as defo doesn’t feel to clever?
Hard to say really but it'll most probably be a twist and tightening of the muscle rather than anything serious, warmth, and blood flow will help it, personally stretching has never done anything for me if I've had an injury and didn't really help prevent anything either.

I normally go 5*5 benching only worked up to 110kg nosey old wanker in the gym says I bet you a tenner you can't do ten, told him 'ive got fuck all to prove to any c**t in here :lol:' training a youngun just the basics don't want him getting caught up in all that shite!

Hard to say really but it'll most probably be a twist and tightening of the muscle rather than anything serious, warmth, and blood flow will help it, personally stretching has never done anything for me if I've had an injury and didn't really help prevent anything either.
Cheers mate, been struggling with it a few times as was lifting heavy deadlifts but realised form wasn’t quite there, think started overthinking it and problems occured, hopefully few weeks without deadlift and go again. Debating paying for a coach for one session just to check form over

Cheers mate, been struggling with it a few times as was lifting heavy deadlifts but realised form wasn’t quite there, think started overthinking it and problems occured, hopefully few weeks without deadlift and go again. Debating paying for a coach for one session just to check form over
Do you HAVE to lift heavy weights? Unless you want to enter competitions then I don’t understand the fixation of amateur lifters risking injury in order to lift more weight.

Once you are happy with your form then why not increase reps for a bigger overall volume?

For most people the aim must be:

Correct form
Avoid injury
Linear progression —> until form is compromised?
*** maintain strength ***

If you do want to be serious then it’s a different ballgame?
Edit:

It sometimes happens to me if I use a mixed grip, so I just do as much as I can with a normal grip, and I’m working on grip strength, or I go the deadlift as the first lift in a session.

Last edited:
She posted celebrating being able to touch her toes within the last couple of weeks, yesterday she won her class at the Irish pro, amazing achievement:

After a dalliance with running I’m trying to get back into lifting being my main form of exercise with running/exercise bike being supplementary in cutting some fat. Forgot how much leg DOMS suck.

2300 cals, 190g protein, following bill starr/madcow 5x5 which I’ve had success with in the past with some extra assistance movements thrown in

Unfortunately my wife and I are now unable to make the Arnold's strongman show in Birmingham (NEC) on 3 October. Paid £50 a ticket, looking for around £30 a ticket. If anyone's interested, or knows of anyone who is, please drop me a DM. Cheers.

3 sessions down and can confirm it’s gonna be a long road back. Legs are wrecked from the sudden workload of squatting 3 times a week.

Got to say the facilities at ultraflex are ridiculously good, machines I’ve never seen before for my assistance work. Discovered the pullover machine today, brutal.

Back