Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Been slowly getting strength back since the gyms open.

Did 3x8 110kg deadlift and 3x8 65kg back squat, nothing to write home about but heaviest I’ve done this year, and feel like I can lift a fair bit heavier.

Aiming for 180kg dead and 90kg squat before the summer is out.

Got to take it slow when you’re over 40!

I was expecting jokes about Trabants and other dilapidated machinery!

What’s made a difference to me is to lift lighter weights with high volume and intensity.

I have learned a lot from this forum. Adapt and adjust accordingly, I am carrying minor injuries that I don’t want to aggravate.
Aye I’m not really bothered about 1 rep max, think it takes a lot more to do more over more reps. My aim is to squat 95kg for 15 reps by end of year, if I can do that I know my core strength is back.

Been slowly getting strength back since the gyms open.

Did 3x8 110kg deadlift and 3x8 65kg back squat, nothing to write home about but heaviest I’ve done this year, and feel like I can lift a fair bit heavier.

Aiming for 180kg dead and 90kg squat before the summer is out.

Got to take it slow when you’re over 40!
If you can do 3x8 on a back squat at 65kg, then you’ll be able to do 90kg comfortably. Your deadlift will conservatively be around 150-160 kg.

If I was a betting man, then I’d say that you will hit your goals by the end of summer.

Rather than type it all out again here's a summary of my day Friday:

Had a cracking day. One major rookie mistake and one challenging time with my diabetes but surpassed the total I'd set for myself, met some great people and felt extremely supported and encouraged, and showed myself I can do it on the platform as well as in my garage - chuffed!

Had a cracking day. One major rookie mistake and one challenging time with my diabetes but surpassed the total I'd set for myself, met some great people and felt extremely supported and encouraged, and showed myself I can do it on the platform as well as in my garage - chuffed!
Well done and thanks for posting the video.

You have always been a polite, humble and supportive poster on this forum and it wasn’t a surprise to me that this is a true reflection of your ‘real life’ personality.

Was ‘Steve’ your helper our one and own Mr Titus?

Awesome
If you can do 3x8 on a back squat at 65kg, then you’ll be able to do 90kg comfortably. Your deadlift will conservatively be around 150-160 kg.

If I was a betting man, then I’d say that you will hit your goals by the end of summer.
You think? Still feel a long way off that but I’m in no hurry, I’m adding 5kg a week at the minute with deadlifts but will be slowing that down soon.

Feel much better about myself having a bit a strength back, and my bad back has eased up loads too, which is a benefit I wasn’t expecting.

Last edited:
Awesome

You think? Still feel a long way off that but I’m in no hurry, I’m adding 5kg a week at the minute with deadlifts but will be slowing that down soon.

Feel much better about myself having a bit a strength back, and my bad back has eased up loads too, which is a benefit I wasn’t expecting.
Yeah, I’d certainly think so.

From my own experience, I always like to do some warm up sets with a weight I can comfortably do 8-12 times (and you sound like you’re very comfortable at that weight) and then pyramid up from there. And the way I look at it, jumping from 65 kg to 90kg is just a 10kg plate and a 2.5kg baby plate on each side. It might just be me psychologically tricking myself, but that kind of jump always feels pretty easy.

What you’re doing sounds good though, so like you, I would be inclined to just keep gradually increasing the number of reps you’re doing and/or the weight depending on what feels right. There’s a lot to be said for listening to your body.

Good stuff!

Class, well done mate
In answer to your question yeah a deadlift bar is much easier for me it takes a bit of practice though so you don't get whipped out of position and you'll find that the more your lift you need to lift the slack with your back then use leg drive to actually pick it up.

Last edited:
Decided to have a bit of a light weeks training last week as I've been going some decent weight about, thought take it easy and go from there.
Was benching using chains and light weights I've managed to do something to my bicep hurts when I grip or put any load on it pressing or pushing even turning my steering wheel, anyone had out simlair? Will struggle resting it as I have a very physical job bought some compression sleeves had the rest of the week off training. I'm honestly sick as a chip

Decided to have a bit of a light weeks training last week as I've been going some decent weight about, thought take it easy and go from there.
Was benching using chains and light weights I've managed to do something to my bicep hurts when I grip or put any load on it pressing or pushing even turning my steering wheel, anyone had out simlair? Will struggle resting it as I have a very physical job bought some compression sleeves had the rest of the week off training. I'm honestly sick as a chip
Is it the side of your bicep, just below the shoulder? If so, I currently have the same issue with my tendon.

I’m still training but avoiding any heavy pressing at the moment.

Is it the side of your bicep, just below the shoulder? If so, I currently have the same issue with my tendon.

I’m still training but avoiding any heavy pressing at the moment.
Seems to be the front going into the forearm? How did you do yours mate? Was just saying to my mate how I'd never had an injury yet :lol:

Seems to be the front going into the forearm? How did you do yours mate? Was just saying to my mate how I'd never had an injury yet :lol:
Ouch.

I’ve been doing a lot of heavy pressing over the past few months, so wear and tear from massively ramping up the intensity, especially since the gyms reopened.

I think it’s fair to say that the lower the reps, the more chance of injury.

I can still do pulling movements for the most part as it literally only causes me any bother when I’m pressing, but aside from deadlifts, I’ve pretty much scaled right back.
Interesting interview with Dave Tate covering a wide range of topics. I’ve been a fan of his for a number of years, since first reading his articles on T-Nation.

Last edited:
Well done and thanks for posting the video.

You have always been a polite, humble and supportive poster on this forum and it wasn’t a surprise to me that this is a true reflection of your ‘real life’ personality.

Was ‘Steve’ your helper our one and own Mr Titus?
Thanks for the congratulations Stevie and thanks also for the kind words. Right back at ya - always found you to be encouraging and respectful of everyone.

Stephen is a friend of the family - he'd actually trained quite a bit in the gym the competition was held in, so knew quite a few people there, which helped me feel at ease. I'm yet to meet Titus yet, hopefully one day soon!
Class, well done mate
In answer to your question yeah a deadlift bar is much easier for me it takes a bit of practice though so you don't get whipped out of position and you'll find that the more your lift you need to lift the slack with your back then use leg drive to actually pick it up.
Cheers Lewberry, I know you'd mentioned before it would be easier. I'll be a bit less prudent when choosing my deadlifts (certainly the third) next time and see how far I can push it with a deadlift bar.

Last edited:
3 pb’s today, added 5kg to my deadlift and 2.5kg to back squat, and only just recorded chest press, only 45kg but not really done it much before, felt a bit wobbly even at that. All at 3x8 with warm up sets before. Slowly does it!

Literally taken the skin off my hands with the deadlifts tho how do people lift
Much heavier without f***ing their hands up? I did forget to apply the liquid chalk until final set tho.

3 pb’s today, added 5kg to my deadlift and 2.5kg to back squat, and only just recorded chest press, only 45kg but not really done it much before, felt a bit wobbly even at that. All at 3x8 with warm up sets before. Slowly does it!

Literally taken the skin off my hands with the deadlifts tho how do people lift
Much heavier without f***ing their hands up? I did forget to apply the liquid chalk until final set tho.
Wear gloves until your hands toughen up

More praise for Jim Wendler: since I started reincorporating deadlifts, my squat which hit a plateau a while back, has suddenly shot up — no joke— by 20kg virtually overnight, (I’ve also been doing a lot of front squats, heavy jerk drives, static holds etc regularly, but I’m convinced the deadlift has played a huge part in this), while I’m now doing my previous 1rpm for eight reps.

I have no doubt there will be objectively better programs, but this is working for me, plus I like Wendler because I find his attitude relatable.

Wear gloves until your hands toughen up
I’d recommend those figure 8 lifting straps, personally, I find that they protect my largely hands and massively overcompensate for my gimpy grip strength.

Back