Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
I did it! Nailed the 100kg bench on Wednesday this week and with it the 400kg total I've been searching for. Absolutely over the moon. Two years of solid graft has really paid off, did it just under two months in advance of my target.

Without wanting to go full Oscar speech thanks to everyone who's shared knowledge and encouragement on here, it has been much appreciated.

Now it's time for a cut and going to switch to a more bodybuilding style routine for a while, whilst setting my sites on my first powerlifting competition.
Well done mate!

Is it worth buying some kettle bells or will the gyms be open in three weeks and then I will be stuck with something to fall over when I'm drunk?

Inzer probably the best on the market but charge as much as the belt for delivery last time I looked.

I use a Titan Longhorn double prong and can't fault it Titan Longhorn Buckle Belt - Double Prong
Cheers for the reply mate.

Reckon these are any good?

I haven't used one but Strengthshop are perfectly reputable and that looks good value. Its cheaper because its artificial leather rather than the real deal, but honestly I'm not convinced that matters too much.

They're really good belts, if you can I would get a 13mm belt just purely because I prefer them, I've competed with a SS lever belt for a few years, I've got an sbd adjustable lever belt now which is going to probably outlast me and then whoever uses it after me it's that solid.

I have given a mate my SS belt and he's squatting and deadlifting 200kg + with it after around 4 years of use from me.

Second hand market is quite good especially for belts like titan or SBD because they're absolutely solid.

No squat racks available when I got to the gym. 25mins later there’s still none and I’ve just done the rest of my legs day workout. It’ll be an absolute disaster if I do squats now won’t it? Should I start tomorrow’s push session and do squats tomorrow?
No squat racks available when I got to the gym. 25mins later there’s still none and I’ve just done the rest of my legs day workout. It’ll be an absolute disaster if I do squats now won’t it? Should I start tomorrow’s push session and do squats tomorrow?
Decided to split my leg day in 2 this week and combine it with cardio day so I did my accessory exercises and cross trainer today and will do squat, deadlift and mini HIIT circuit on Wednesday.

Last edited:
I’ve had that 10mm strength shop belt and tried the 13mm (which I felt was too thick)

I use a schiek 3004 and it’s excellent.

I'm now a fully paid up, card carrying member of the ABPU. Unfortunately my vision of competing in 2021 may not be achieved, the only two competitions scheduled that I'd be up for doing are full and they aren't taking on a waiting list, it's a matter of seeing if they can release more places closer to the time (but both are February). So I may have to keep grafting for another year and look at my first comp in 2022.

I’ve spent the last month training at home, doing single leg variations for squat and DL, and dips on an internal corner but of my kitchen worktop. Now the gyms are open and it looks like I’ve pinged my left shoulder, possibly rotator cuff- from doing those f***ing dips with bad form
No upper body push work for a week, see how it goes

I’ve spent the last month training at home, doing single leg variations for squat and DL, and dips on an internal corner but of my kitchen worktop. Now the gyms are open and it looks like I’ve pinged my left shoulder, possibly rotator cuff- from doing those f***ing dips with bad form
No upper body push work for a week, see how it goes
Tricep dips will knack my shoulders if I do them too wide, they’re fine with a more narrow grip.

My tale of woe is that I seem to be allergic to the hand sanitiser/equipment wiping gel at the gym!

A good first weeks training in feel like most the cramps and pains are gone,only bother I've noticed is my bench press feel like my right side is flying up and left is sticking 2/3 the way to the top. Any reason why? No real pain a little stiff maybe but no worse than normal. Anyone had anything simlair? Not even trying decent weight going to build back up

My training has gone properly south- I’ve took a new job abroad with no facilities for my usual workouts 😫
Making do with pull ups around the site where possible, and some single leg squat and deadlift variations in my apartment a few times a week- devastated

I'm now a fully paid up, card carrying member of the ABPU. Unfortunately my vision of competing in 2021 may not be achieved, the only two competitions scheduled that I'd be up for doing are full and they aren't taking on a waiting list, it's a matter of seeing if they can release more places closer to the time (but both are February). So I may have to keep grafting for another year and look at my first comp in 2022.
I would email them and ask that they'll extend your membership as it's not clear when you'll be able to compete. They're absolutely sound the people who run it.

I wouldn't send anything for now but when the comps start running again if your membership has expired they'll definitely help you out.
My training has gone properly south- I’ve took a new job abroad with no facilities for my usual workouts 😫
Making do with pull ups around the site where possible, and some single leg squat and deadlift variations in my apartment a few times a week- devastated
Pistol squats and other single leg variations are good, can you do any farmers walks or loaded carries with anything?

Last edited:

Nice one mate!

I know a few involved with the fed. If you get sorted and end up at a comp with no handler, let me know and I'll try and get somebody from the fed to help out

I would email them and ask that they'll extend your membership as it's not clear when you'll be able to compete. They're absolutely sound the people who run it.

I wouldn't send anything for now but when the comps start running again if your membership has expired they'll definitely help you out.

Pistol squats and other single leg variations are good, can you do any farmers walks or loaded carries with anything?
Good suggestions, will look into it

Back