Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

John haack just totaled 927kg using only a belt and sleeves at 90kg bodyweight.

Really wish I'd got into powerlifting at school or as a teenager c'est la vie.
I was the fat kid at school who was always shit at sports. I’d have been great at it.

I ended up lifting weights properly in my late 20s, at 5 stone lighter than I was at school.

I gave away some home brewing gear last week via Facey marketplace and the guy who took it is a U.K. over 50s bodybuilding champion, personal trainer with a PHD in sports nutrition/sports science. He’s sent me over a load of info as a thank you and I’ll get going on that after the school holidays.

Last edited:
I'm getting massive cramps in my lats after chest, back even shoulders is it likely to be related to creatine? Taking 5mg only on training days

Anyone ever trained with their partner? My wife is showing some interest in coming to the gym. I’ve just started back at lifting weights and doing a 2 day a week StrongLifts program and I’ve said I can show her the ropes.
She’s shitting herself at showing herself up though

Anyone ever trained with their partner? My wife is showing some interest in coming to the gym. I’ve just started back at lifting weights and doing a 2 day a week StrongLifts program and I’ve said I can show her the ropes.

Do you work well together on DIY and things like that? My wife and I are the very best of friends, but there's no way we could work together and I imagine that would transfer to the gym...

Spoilers:

Luke Stoltman breaks the British log press record with 221kg. Fails at the world (230kg though), Big Z's record of 228kg still stands, from 2015.

Rob Kearney has torn his tricep attempting to break his own American log press record.

Personally, things are going well. 95kg bench Thursday, 97.5kg today, confident I'll hit 100kg Tuesday, which I've been working towards for almost two years now. Then I'm going to lower the weight, up the volume and lose some weight before looking to build strength again.

Do you go to Puregym? Seen loads of couples/pairs of mates being told they can't train together (even if from the same household)

First session back today post-plague. Strength down very very slightly - don't feel like I have a smidgen of explosiveness. New niggles have emerged though at elbow and RC. Hopefully goes over the course of the week. Overall pleasantly surprised with the strength maintenance. Work capacity just evaporated as the session went on though, so if it's a lingering effect of covid I will have to re-evaluate my training approach as it's dependent on having very good work capacity, otherwise I'm not potentiating any future goals, just grinding through for the sake of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aye, quite a bit. Typically fine, she listens quite well.

She amuses me because she's remarkably strong with squats but struggles like fuck with an empty bar on bench :lol:

Nah wouldn't be touching that with a barge pole.

The 20 year old office hotty on the other hand ...

Is she worried about embarrassment like?
We haven’t been yet, probably tomorrow but she tried an empty bar bench last night and struggled. Hopefully there’s 15kg bars at the gym
Get her an weightlifting practice bar they're very light and used for technical stuff, my 6 year old wanted to try so I started him squatting with a broom handle.

Last edited:
She was alright, weak as piss but alright. There’s a lot to learn.

She did very well with the BORs. Squats weren’t to depth but that’ll come in time with flexibility and confidence. She struggled with bench the most, it was just too heavy. Gonna try a machine or light dumbbells next time I think

Back