Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Wonder if anyone could offer some advice. Been going to JD Gym at Washy since it opened. Trouble is I can’t seem to lift any heavier as time goes on. I haven’t got a spotter but I can only lift 20s on a flat dumbell chest press.

My form is good, in my opinion, but I see others lifting double the weight I can.
Am I going wrong somewhere?

Wonder if anyone could offer some advice. Been going to JD Gym at Washy since it opened. Trouble is I can’t seem to lift any heavier as time goes on. I haven’t got a spotter but I can only lift 20s on a flat dumbell chest press.

My form is good, in my opinion, but I see others lifting double the weight I can.

Give the lads on here some more info, how long have you been lifting 20kg on dumbbell chest press, what sets/reps, what other chest exercises do you do and what weight

Also don't worry about what anyone else is lifting

Give the lads on here some more info, how long have you been lifting 20kg on dumbbell chest press, what sets/reps, what other chest exercises do you do and what weight

Also don't worry about what anyone else is lifting
Cheers. You’re probably looking over a year. Tend to start with 18s (12 reps), then two sets with 20s (10 reps and 8 reps). It’s usually the first thing I do with chest. Also do incline barbell press (Smith machine), decline barbell press, then pec machine, incline press and normal chest press (on the gym machines), then cable flys (upper, middle and lower).

Cheers. You’re probably looking over a year. Tend to start with 18s (12 reps), then two sets with 20s (10 reps and 8 reps). It’s usually the first thing I do with chest. Also do incline barbell press (Smith machine), decline barbell press, then pec machine, incline press and normal chest press (on the gym machines), then cable flys (upper, middle and lower).
That’s a lot of volume for your chest imho. I’d change your template to a 5x5 routine, using the stronglifts method to increase weight for a flat barbell press. It’ll sharp increase
Fitness 2000
What’s the pricing for there?
Fitness 2000
What’s the pricing for there?

Had 2 weeks off over Christmas. Was going to get in today but I've caught a terrible cold off my little one so going to start fresh on Monday. Absolutely itching to get back in but kind of disappointed that my lifts will have taken a hit. Hoping that my tricep doesn't cause me to many problems as I can still feel it.

If there’s one thing this Terry Holland’s program has taught me it’s that I can’t do pull ups! After 3 sets of zero, I moved over to the assisted pull ups machine. Add my 15 second active hangs to that and it’s been a tough one (for my ego at least) today.

Last edited:
If there’s one thing this Terry Holland’s program has taught me it’s that I can’t do pull ups! After 3 sets of zero, I moved over to the assisted pull ups machine. Add my 15 second active hangs to that and it’s been a tough one (for my ego at least) today.
I got up to 4 sets of 10 with pull ups but started to get bored of them.

They are easier if you have a relatively low body weight. I read somewhere that it’s better not to use the assisted machines and to do as many as you can and then hang to failure.

I think that Jeff cavaliere has done some tutorials on his athlean-x YouTube channel.

I got up to 4 sets of 10 with pull ups but started to get bored of them.

They are easier if you have a relatively low body weight. I read somewhere that it’s better not to use the assisted machines and to do as many as you can and then hang to failure.

I think that Jeff cavaliere has done some tutorials on his athlean-x YouTube channel.
Cheers, I’ll have a look. Jeff Cavaliere is my new favourite, I’ve got Mrs Dundee watching his videos now too.

Thought it would be interesting to hear people's highs and lows of 2019 and ambitions for next year, I'll go first:

Highs

This morning's session - squatted 141kg (best of the year by 1kg) and pulled 175kg, a PB by 10kg.

Had a look and if (and it's a big if) I could repeat my best gym lifts in competition I would hit the total required to qualify for the Nationals in the ABPU (thanks for the pointer @Lewberry pie ), see below for plans for that.

Lows

Lack of progression in my bench. My aim is to hit 100kg by the end of next year but I feel as if I've still got a mountain to climb - currently still sat at 77.5kg. I've got a plan though - I'm compressing the six week bench press solution (linked to earlier in this thread) into four weeks (benching three times a week) and just going to do that until I hit 100kg. I'm maintaining on the other lifts, and as can be seen from the highs, the maintenance is working.

Ambitions

Maintain consistent training, even with the arrival of Simpsychild mk 2.

This time next year to be beginning to prep for my first powerlifting competition. I would have competed in 2020 were it not for the impending arrival but aiming for at least one competition in 2021.

Thanks for all of the advice and support on this thread over the past year and wishing you all an injury free 2020 where you see all of your amibitions achieved.
You will certainly pull a big deadlift PB in the abpu because they use a deadlift bar which flexes and will give you momentum in the pull, the ipf uses a very stiff bar like the one you'll probably be used to in a gym.

Definitely worth looking at some of the qualifiers now, they have one in Rotherham in a few months

You will certainly pull a big deadlift PB in the abpu because they use a deadlift bar which flexes and will give you momentum in the pull, the ipf uses a very stiff bar like the one you'll probably be used to in a gym.

Definitely worth looking at some of the qualifiers now, they have one in Rotherham in a few months

You have to know how to use the whip for the bar to beneficial in fairness. If you don't it will yank against you

I'd take a look but baby is due in April and if I were to qualify for the Nationals I'd want to go. I also want to nail that 100kg bench press this year, and show prep would be a distraction. Deadlift bar definitely sounds interesting.

Off to Britain's Strongest Man tonight - think it's the most open show for years. Seems most people think Tom Stoltman will win but I'm backing Bishop - I think his time has come.

Training is going well at the moment - I'm still compressing the six week bench press routine into four weeks (so benching three times a week). Benched 80kg (+2.5kg PB) before starting this cycle, although with no pause, so not sure if that counts? If I can add 2.5kg after each cycle I'll hit my goal of 100kg before the end of the calendar year.

I’ve had a sore hip since my circuits class at the weekend.

It’s meant to be lower body day on my Terry Holland’s programme tonight (squats, triple grip deadlifts, leg extensions, weighted lunges, weighted step up), should I switch my lower body and push days over to give me until Wednesday for my hip to recover or am I best to power through? I’m certain it’s muscular.
I’ve had a sore hip since my circuits class at the weekend.

It’s meant to be lower body day on my Terry Holland’s programme tonight (squats, triple grip deadlifts, leg extensions, weighted lunges, weighted step up), should I switch my lower body and push days over to give me until Wednesday for my hip to recover or am I best to power through? I’m certain it’s muscular.
Hip felt better tonight so just went with the lower body session and it was fine

Last edited:

I would happily help spot if your in when i am for dumbell chest press.

I train pretty much in JD everyday from about 5:30PM.

Back