Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

I'd throw Alan Aragon in there aswell in regards to nutrition. I've spoke to a few of them and they're genuinely class people.

Bret Contreras gave Lyle McDonald a virtual beatdown the other day :lol:

I was watching one of this bloke's videos earlier and his brother that did the 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster' documentary walked in on the video, wasn't expecting it :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

recognise the name from articles and such, have you got a link to the lyle arguing with brett

Not sure I'd be able to link the person's profile but here's the comments:

"If you would like to be notified via a tag of when my interview with Bret Contreras is fully uploaded, you must COMMENT on this status with your #1 reason for why Bret is the man!"

Lyle - "Because he had the f***ing audacity to write a 600 pages on the ass based on a 4 person sample size using EMG when he had no f***ing clue how to properly use the technique (hint: you don't put the electrodes wherever you want and call it correct).

Wait, that doesn't make him #1 at all. #1 jackass maybe."

Bret - "Lyle - now that I have you her (please don't ignore this like you do my other posts), please tell me where you place the electrodes when conducting EMG on the gluteus maximus? Let's start there."

Bret - "Lyle, I'm waiting. Please tell me where the electrodes go. Furthermore, have you ever conducted EMG analyses? I hope you're not acting like an expert on something in which you have no experience. Furthermore, you have no glutes yourself, so it's hard to take you seriously about glutes when you've been training for half your life and my girlfriend has bigger glutes than you. Third, would you like to compare before/after pics of clients? Or, would you like to go on a podcast and discuss glute research, EMG, or torque production? I'd LOVE to do this. My guess is that you'll be a chicken-shit and ignore these just like you have in the past. You're a small, jealous man, which is why you have to live in a cave because you have zero friends in the S&C industry."

:lol:

That's GOLD! :)

Lewberry you should check put the series of Dave Tate articles that he done about his life and life in lifting, very very good stuff, some of the best and most insightful stuff I've read.

I've posted the link to Part 1 below and under that is a link to everything he's written for TNation where you'll find the remaining 8 parts and a lot of other cool stuff.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...on_evolution_phase_1_progressive_overload&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Dave Tate

Last edited:
The best comment was:

"Furthermore, if I'm right about my findings, will you be a big enough man to say, "you were right and I was wrong?" I doubt it. Based on what I've heard about you, you're too small of a man. And if you called me a jackass to my face, since I'd never hit a girl, I'd have my girlfriend bitch-slap you until you started crying. You're a tiny man physically and mentally. I imagine you'll ignore this like the last posts." :lol:

For those who've never watched, here is footage from how they do things at westside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwdv37u_9FU

Powerlifting?

You used liquid chalk? Tried some today and it helped me hold onto the weight for a couple more reps. Got to be a good thing!

Yep, with the WDFPA.

I've had it on my hands and the grip on the bar felt better, but I haven't actually used it for lifting anything. A lad in the gym had it with him and I just put a bit on my hands to feel the grip. How much did you pay mate?

Yep, with the WDFPA.

I've had it on my hands and the grip on the bar felt better, but I haven't actually used it for lifting anything. A lad in the gym had it with him and I just put a bit on my hands to feel the grip. How much did you pay mate?

I didn't same thing someone at the gym had some and offered me some. Felt pretty good think il give it a go.

Should be good out of interest what are your lifts?

I didn't same thing someone at the gym had some and offered me some. Felt pretty good think il give it a go.

Should be good out of interest what are your lifts?

Testing my max lifts in a few weeks, I rarely max out but I'll post them when I do. I may post videos too.

Aiming for the world's next year :)

aye been thinking about some competition lifts when my back is better, I think I'm just about at qualification for nationals, what's the qualification for the worlds.

what routine you running atm?

broz has lifted everything for me, although I think that's in technical ability more than anything else, but its maxing out every day even if that's a low weight its still the max you can do.

aye been thinking about some competition lifts when my back is better, I think I'm just about at qualification for nationals, what's the qualification for the worlds.

what routine you running atm?

broz has lifted everything for me, although I think that's in technical ability more than anything else, but its maxing out every day even if that's a low weight its still the max you can do.

What weight class?

Atm I'm not doing an exclusive powerlifting routine. I'm doing:

Upper strength
Lower strength
Off
Upper hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Off
Off

It's my go-to for all-round progress.

When it comes to July though, I'm going to jump on to something that is just purely centered around the goal of increasing my lifts.

Still undecided as to what routine/training style I'll adopt though.

What weight class?

Atm I'm not doing an exclusive powerlifting routine. I'm doing:

Upper strength
Lower strength
Off
Upper hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Off
Off

It's my go-to for all-round progress.

When it comes to July though, I'm going to jump on to something that is just purely centered around the goal of increasing my lifts.

Still undecided as to what routine/training style I'll adopt though.

yeah I like that routine if i can't decide what to do or need a break, I'm 85kg atm so either 90 or 82.5 would probably be my best weight.

my best gym lifts are 190 squat and dl, bench is 112.5 which I'm sure is because of my shoulder weakness, I can't press overhead without dislocating it but it doesn't happen on the lift its during the night after I do an overhead press.

I think the qualifications for worlds via open class is 1144 (520kg) so you'd be able to qualify I think mate.

It's a shame PL isn't as popular over here as it is in the States, seem to be meets all the time with a load of different organisations etc. Depth of competitors will be much greater.

Back