Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

One other thing - get someone who trains at a similar time as you to start giving you a lift out.

You'd he amazed at the energy you save for your heavy sets.

Unfortunately (for this purpose) I train alone at home, so no help forthcoming. Thanks for the advice though.

Finding my deadlift is now limited by my grip. I've only ever used an overhand grip so going to try a mixed grip for my top set. Then will look at straps if that doesn't help. Also looking into buying a rolling thunder to train grip specifically.

Mixed grip worked a treat for deadlift - went from 129kg x 2 and then three singles last week to 132kg for 5 as my top set this week, beltless (and probably all time) PB, happy days! Also chuffed it's 5 reps at over 2x body weight (currently sat at a touch under 65kg).
I am pleased for you as you seem to be putting in the training and you are now seeing the rewards.

You should be capable of a 150kg 1RM?

Strength Level - Weightlifting Calculator (Bench/Squat/Deadlift)

I am working my way back up in 2.5kg weekly increments, up to x5 reps @115kg (at 62kg body weight), my 1RM is 130kg which I’m happy with. I too use mixed grip for the final working set only.

Last edited:
8th week of my 2nd block using RTS GIP coming up.

Then a week to test maxes. Will then probably do shorter version of it heading into the September meet or depending many weeks I have to play with. Haven't actually planned it yet.

I am pleased for you as you seem to be putting in the training and you are now seeing the rewards.

You should be capable of a 150kg 1RM?

Strength Level - Weightlifting Calculator (Bench/Squat/Deadlift)

I am working my way back up in 2.5kg weekly increments, up to x5 reps @115kg (at 62kg body weight), my 1RM is 130kg which I’m happy with. I too use mixed grip for the final working set only.

Cheers mate, doing well yourself there!

Pulled 150 a few months ago. Got three weeks left on the current programme, culminating in 142.5 for 5 in the final week - going to try a 160 after that, which was my aim for the end of the year.

Feeling it this morning like, took a while to get the legs motoring when I took the hounds out first thing!

Cheers mate, doing well yourself there!

Pulled 150 a few months ago. Got three weeks left on the current programme, culminating in 142.5 for 5 in the final week - going to try a 160 after that, which was my aim for the end of the year.

Feeling it this morning like, took a while to get the legs motoring when I took the hounds out first thing!
You are doing well for your body weight, I am happy enough with 2x which isn’t much at the moment as I’m not carrying much fat.

I use the dog walking as a warmup for my running, I have somehow avoided any aches and pains even after a long run.

Have a good weekend, I need to get out for a callisthenics workout but I’m not very motivated.

After any advice you lot can give me.

I'm in the midst of losing a serious amount of weight and fat. 24 stone 10 down to 19 stone 10 as it stands. 16 stone the target. Now I'm down to under 20 stone I'm wanting to tone up as I go. I don't want to put on massive amounts of mass or look like an athlete, I just don't want to look "skinny fat". I'd like a bit definition when I eventually get to my target.

So far I've written down a training schedule for my 3 day per week gym cycle. Just wondering if I've done the right things and if not, any advice would be appreciated.

Day 1 Push any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Standing Military Press 3x12
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x12
Wide Grip Upright Rows 3x12
Cable Pushdowns 3x12
Tricep Extension 50lbs 3x12
Overhead Tricep Extension 7.5kg 3x12
Shoulder Press 3x12
Pec Fly 3x12

Day 2 Pull any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Dumbbell 7.5kg 3x12
Cable Row 50lbs 3x12
Deadlift 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x12
Lateral Raise 3x12
Rear Delt Fly 3x12

Day 3 Legs:
30 mins bike
Weighted Squats 40kg 3x12
Leg Extension 3x12
Reverse Leg Extension 3x12
Squat Rack 3x12
Dumbbell Lunges 4 lengths

Finish any day with tyre flips 6 lengths weather depending.

**note I don't know what some machines are called or what exercises are what so some will be named mad shit.

I'm in the midst of losing a serious amount of weight and fat. 24 stone 10 down to 19 stone 10 as it stands. 16 stone the target. Now I'm down to under 20 stone I'm wanting to tone up as I go. I don't want to put on massive amounts of mass or look like an athlete, I just don't want to look "skinny fat". I'd like a bit definition when I eventually get to my target.

So far I've written down a training schedule for my 3 day per week gym cycle. Just wondering if I've done the right things and if not, any advice would be appreciated.

Day 1 Push any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Cable Pushdowns 3x12
Shoulder Press 3x12
Pec Fly 3x12

Day 2 Pull any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Dumbbell 7.5kg 3x12
Cable Row 50lbs 3x12
Deadlift 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x12
Lateral Raise 3x12
Rear Delt Fly 3x12

Day 3 Legs:
30 mins bike
Leg Extension 3x12
Squat Rack 3x12

**note I don't know what some machines are called or what exercises are what so some will be named mad shit.
Just some random observations.

Day 1, never do upright rows, causes havoc for the shoulder girdle. That and flat barbell bench press is the fastest way to shoulder problems in my experience. Also weight training first then cardio. Personally I’d fuck off the treadmill (looks like steady state) for rowing sprints. Be easier on your joints.

Why is everything 3x12?

Day three, what does squat rack mean? Personally I’d get rid of lunges. I’ve never seen anyone do them right. Even when they are done right, I think they put too much stress on the knee joint.

There’s not too much pulling on pull day.

Just some random observations.

Day 1, never do upright rows, causes havoc for the shoulder girdle. That and flat barbell bench press is the fastest way to shoulder problems in my experience. Also weight training first then cardio. Personally I’d fuck off the treadmill (looks like steady state) for rowing sprints. Be easier on your joints.

Why is everything 3x12?

Day three, what does squat rack mean? Personally I’d get rid of lunges. I’ve never seen anyone do them right. Even when they are done right, I think they put too much stress on the knee joint.

There’s not too much pulling on pull day.

3x12 Just seems a simple parameter to start with while I'm just doing light workout. I'm not looking to add a load of muscle mass, just tone up. Still got about 4 stone to shed before I'm happy with my weight so the cardio is for that. I was told you're more likely to gain benefits from weights if you've done cardio first?

Squat Rack - the likely incorrect name for that machine where you push your legs at about a 45 degree angle. Like I say, absolute novice.

Any other suggestions for pull day then? I'll take any and all advice I can get. Not for putting on a load of mass but just to try and combat the inevitable loose skin and avoid becoming "skinny fat".

Cheers mate.

3x12 Just seems a simple parameter to start with while I'm just doing light workout. I'm not looking to add a load of muscle mass, just tone up. Still got about 4 stone to shed before I'm happy with my weight so the cardio is for that. I was told you're more likely to gain benefits from weights if you've done cardio first?

Squat Rack - the likely incorrect name for that machine where you push your legs at about a 45 degree angle. Like I say, absolute novice.

Any other suggestions for pull day then? I'll take any and all advice I can get. Not for putting on a load of mass but just to try and combat the inevitable loose skin and avoid becoming "skinny fat".

Cheers mate.

People don't just 'add a load of muscle mass' like that unless they're a teenager or on steroids so I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you're going to be in a calorie deficit anyway.

What you're referring to as 'squat rack' sounds like a leg press machine to me. Is there a reason you cant perform a bar bell squat? Would be far more beneficial for just about every practical purpose.

I'm not convinced cardio before weights will have any benefit for you.

If you're going to do push pull legs I'd look for a tried and tested template on a website like T-Nation and use that rather than trying to come up with your own as a novice.

Push should centre around barbell bench press for something in the region of 4 sets of 6 reps.

Pull should centre around deadlift which you might want to be a bit less intense with.

Legs should be based around squats. Again, 4x6 is a good starting point.

Then base your accessory movements around them.

People don't just 'add a load of muscle mass' like that unless they're a teenager or on steroids so I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you're going to be in a calorie deficit anyway.

What you're referring to as 'squat rack' sounds like a leg press machine to me. Is there a reason you cant perform a bar bell squat? Would be far more beneficial for just about every practical purpose.

I'm not convinced cardio before weights will have any benefit for you.

If you're going to do push pull legs I'd look for a tried and tested template on a website like T-Nation and use that rather than trying to come up with your own as a novice.

Push should centre around barbell bench press for something in the region of 4 sets of 6 reps.

Pull should centre around deadlift which you might want to be a bit less intense with.

Legs should be based around squats. Again, 4x6 is a good starting point.

Then base your accessory movements around them.

Leg press may well be the one I'm referring to mate. Barbell squat no reason why I can't do I'll add that to the list.

Usually do 25 mins bike or treadmill as a cardio warm up but I'll give it a go in reverse order this week.

Day 1 Push any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Cable Pushdowns 3x12
Shoulder Press 3x12
Pec Fly 3x12

Day 2 Pull any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Dumbbell 7.5kg 3x12
Cable Row 50lbs 3x12
Deadlift 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x12
Lateral Raise 3x12
Rear Delt Fly 3x12

Day 3 Legs:
30 mins bike
Leg Extension 3x12
Squat Rack 3x12

Knock the high reps on the head. Lift heavy for less reps.

Cheers mate.

As others have suggested if you're starting out I'd reduce the number of exercises, sets and reps. I'd suggest looking at Stronglifts or something similar to get you into it.

Think I'm sorted with my bench @Charmless Man - having watched a couple of videos I had my feet too far back - meant I had the biggest arch I could but glutes were fully engaged throughout, meaning I couldn't engage them to kick in the leg drive. Thanks for the advice.

Leg press may well be the one I'm referring to mate. Barbell squat no reason why I can't do I'll add that to the list.

Usually do 25 mins bike or treadmill as a cardio warm up but I'll give it a go in reverse order this week.

Your warm up for lifting weights should focus more on mobility and stretching tbh. Particularly getting your shoulders and hips loose.

Day 1 Push any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Cable Pushdowns 3x12
Shoulder Press 3x12
Pec Fly 3x12

Day 2 Pull any 5:
30 mins treadmill
Dumbbell 7.5kg 3x12
Cable Row 50lbs 3x12
Deadlift 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x12
Lateral Raise 3x12
Rear Delt Fly 3x12

Day 3 Legs:
30 mins bike
Leg Extension 3x12
Squat Rack 3x12

Just stick to compound lifts too. Way too much shite that you don't need there

Haven’t posted for a few weeks since I said I was going for the last week of my 6 week deadlift programme, had Kendal calling and then a week abroad. Approached the final set, with a goal of a 1rm of 160kg, and f***ing failed. Couldn’t get the bar past my shins, went for a 155kg instead and it was sound. Bit pissed off with it, but I’m gonna reassess and do the cycle again- with a bit of Geoff capes eating thrown in

Haven’t posted for a few weeks since I said I was going for the last week of my 6 week deadlift programme, had Kendal calling and then a week abroad. Approached the final set, with a goal of a 1rm of 160kg, and f***ing failed. Couldn’t get the bar past my shins, went for a 155kg instead and it was sound. Bit pissed off with it, but I’m gonna reassess and do the cycle again- with a bit of Geoff capes eating thrown in

Absolute wounder when that happens like, still, getting the bar off the ground and smoking the 155kg suggests it's not far off. What did you do prior to attempting the 160kg by the way (in terms of other lifts [squat etc.] and then weights, volume and rest between sets for your other deadlift sets)? I'm going to be attempting the same number in about three weeks and interested in what you did for the warm up.

No other lifts. Done my warm up and stretches, then deadlifted as follows
70x8
85x6
100x5
115x3
130x2
140x1
145x1
150x1
160 Fail
155x1

Done some wide grip pull ups afterwards 4x7
Went home and hoofed the cat

Appreciate everyone's different but that seems an awful lot of volume before trying your 1rm. I've used the link below before (apologies it's in lbs) to work out roughly what I need to do, someone on here recommended it for me.

I'm planning on:

60x5
80x5
100x3
3 minute rest
130x1
5 minute rest
160x1

If it's just pulling 160 you're interested in it may be worth having another session where you try something like the above, rather than going through another six week cycle before testing your 1rm again?

Back