Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Could you ask the owner if you would be allowed to open up the gym for them?
They've already got someone who trains there with a key mate he has Wednesday's off as he drinks on a tuesday night. Yearly subs due not sure what to do.

Spartan got a strongman comp on tomorrow 105kg category see what time I get up off night shift might have a Dodge up

Last edited:
unless you're using a womens, which is 15kg

Or the safety bar in my gym which is 30kg.

When adding your weights do you count the bar? What does an Olympic bat weigh? I only calculate my plates, I could be breaking records without knowing it (I’m not)

Is the bar weight pushing you above Eddie’s deadlift record like? :lol:

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a gumshield please? Had a quick look last night but there seems to be a massive variety of prices and not sure whether it's the type of thing worth making an investment in a better quality one. Literally ground out the last bench rep on Wednesday and teeth are still feeling uncomfortable now, so think it may be a wise investment!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gumshield please? Had a quick look last night but there seems to be a massive variety of prices and not sure whether it's the type of thing worth making an investment in a better quality one. Literally ground out the last bench rep on Wednesday and teeth are still feeling uncomfortable now, so think it may be a wise investment!
If it's just too protect your teeth you can get a cheaper one that just fits anyone, I use a 6ds mouthpiece it's more expensive but I really like it because I can breath whilst keeping my teeth clenched

If it's just too protect your teeth you can get a cheaper one that just fits anyone, I use a 6ds mouthpiece it's more expensive but I really like it because I can breath whilst keeping my teeth clenched

Thanks. Had you tried other ones before and then upgraded? I'm worried about buying something cheaper and then ending up buying twice if it's not really up to the job in a couple of months' time - a bit like with my bench, bought a flat one but now wishing I'd got one with at least an incline option...

Thanks. Had you tried other ones before and then upgraded? I'm worried about buying something cheaper and then ending up buying twice if it's not really up to the job in a couple of months' time - a bit like with my bench, bought a flat one but now wishing I'd got one with at least an incline option...
Nah I just bought that straight away, I doubt it really has any help for increasing lifts but it's lasted me about a year because I only use it for last sets or singles.

Just buy a cheap one, stick it in your kettle and then bite down and suck until it moulds to your teeth. Don't waste your money on an expensive one.

Benched to sets of RPE9 then load drop sets to RPE9 three days in a row.

Shoulders feel disgusting.

That volume & frequency combo

Just buy a cheap one, stick it in your kettle and then bite down and suck until it moulds to your teeth. Don't waste your money on an expensive one.

That volume & frequency combo

I have been benching to working sets RPE 9, then load drop to RPE9 4 days a week.

Programme now drops to one RPE9 bench day and two RPE8 days for a few weeks.

This Mike Tuscherer chap knows what he’s doing imo iirc there.

I have been benching to working sets RPE 9, then load drop to RPE9 4 days a week.

Programme now drops to one RPE9 bench day and two RPE8 days for a few weeks.

This Mike Tuscherer chap knows what he’s doing imo iirc there.

Indeed. The RTS approach is how I program a lot of people, although I find RiR works better than RPE for the bigger movements

Indeed. The RTS approach is how I program a lot of people, although I find RiR works better than RPE for the bigger movements

RiR is pretty much the way I’ve always approached RPE anyway tbf as its way easier to conceptualise “I could have done another rep there.” Than “Well that was a 9.”

Also something could feel like a 9 but you could be very aware you messed your technique up.

RiR is pretty much the way I’ve always approached RPE anyway tbf as its way easier to conceptualise “I could have done another rep there.” Than “Well that was a 9.”

Also something could feel like a 9 but you could be very aware you messed your technique up.

I think it's far more practical tbh. A lot easier to process when under the bar too. "Shit, I think I only hit RPE 7.5, I'll just do another"... *Hits RPE 10*.

The relative 'unknown' can have a negative effect on warm ups in some people I've found too. But that goes for RiR or RPE.

Are you directing the majority of your recovery capacity to bench, or hitting a few lifts with that approach atm?

I think it's far more practical tbh. A lot easier to process when under the bar too. "Shit, I think I only hit RPE 7.5, I'll just do another"... *Hits RPE 10*.

The relative 'unknown' can have a negative effect on warm ups in some people I've found too. But that goes for RiR or RPE.

Are you directing the majority of your recovery capacity to bench, or hitting a few lifts with that approach atm?

I’m pretty much following his generalised intermediate programme to the letter, save for occasionally having to bunch days up due to work schedule/midweek matches.

The only thing I’m not doing is pushing as hard on the load drop sets as he recommends. Reason being I’m progressing fairly rapidly without following that bit and I want a ‘where do I go next’ if things start sticking.

Which basically means that I’m directing a similar amount of work to the squat, but only deadlifting once a week with any great intensity, as the variations the general programme incorporates can’t be done with a similar weight to my conventional deadlift by me. With bench I think I kind of fuck it up because my close grip is about as good as my wide grip, and I can’t get as much out of touch and go sets as I can with paused reps (believe it or not).

Back