Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
5x5 is the best program for squats, I would give that a go for at least 12 weeks then you can reassess. It got a little much for me in the end though, my workouts were too long and I couldn't put as much intensity into bench/press after going all out on the squats. I switched to 531 which I must say I prefer but my stint with 5x5 was invaluable.
Cheers man.

Yes I have used stronglifts 5x5 on 2 separate occasions but it’s difficult continuing on a linear progression programme without hitting failures.

I preferred rippetoe’s starting strength 3x5 as the 5x5 takes up more time.

I’m now doing a periodisation programme, one week 3x8, next week 3x7, then 3rd week 3x6. 4th week deload then add 2.5kg onto lifts and start again.

If you are shite at squats then replace it, I use an upright hack squat machine.

I want to improve otherwise I would. I've spent a year not wanting to do them, decided I should just get on with it and give it a real go.

About 18 months but my lifts have really stalled recently because I've slipped out of a proper plan. Was speaking to a lad in work today and he's recommended me the 5-3-1 so I'm going to give that a go I think having read a bit. I really want to improve my squat because it's f***ing rubbish right now.
531 is a good routine but I'd wait and do 5x5 for another 6 months before you started on that.

Fairy nuff but there isn’t any advantage in being decent at squats unless you want to do powerlifting.

Your body may just not be suited to doing them.

I’m sorry, Stevie, but that’s utter rubbish!

About 18 months but my lifts have really stalled recently because I've slipped out of a proper plan. Was speaking to a lad in work today and he's recommended me the 5-3-1 so I'm going to give that a go I think having read a bit. I really want to improve my squat because it's f***ing rubbish right now.

5/3/1 is an intermediate programme which increments the weight you use in 3 week cycles. Whilst 5x5 can be used with less rapid weight increases, at its heart it’s a session by session linear progression programme.

In your opinion, if you stuck to it do you reckon you’d still be making progress in a linear fashion every session? If yes then do 5x5 or similar.

My biggest problem with 5/3/1 is that the basis of it is lacking in enough frequency for squat and bench. It can work really well if you’re smart in programming them as accessory work, because I think most healthy adults can and should squat 3 times per week if their goal is to get stronger.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, Stevie, but that’s utter rubbish!
Why is it? What do squats do that is so important? Is there any evidence that doing barbell squats are more useful to an amateur than using a machine?
Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs. « My Body Structure My Body Structure

Answer: First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is norequirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength). I know that this contradicts everything that has ever been written on the Internet but the idea that someone must squat to get big is mainly a lot of macho nonsense.

Last edited:
Why is it? What do squats do that is so important? Is there any evidence that doing barbell squats are more useful to an amateur than using a machine?
Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs. « My Body Structure My Body Structure

Answer: First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is norequirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength). I know that this contradicts everything that has ever been written on the Internet but the idea that someone must squat to get big is mainly a lot of macho nonsense.

Who is talking about ‘big legs’?

You said ‘unless you want to get good at powerlifting’. There are lots of other things squats are the best leg exercise for (including getting big legs actually).

Also - @Titus!

Who is talking about ‘big legs’?

You said ‘unless you want to get good at powerlifting’. There are lots of other things squats are the best leg exercise for (including getting big legs actually).

Also - @Titus!
@Idlewild Mackem has been trying squats for a while so if he hasn’t improved then he can do other exercises.

I’d also said, either on this thread or elsewhere, is that not everyone is going to be suited to doing squats and that there are alternatives.

Last edited:
@Idlewild Mackem has been trying squats for a while so if he hasn’t improved then he can do other exercises.

I’d also said, either on this thread or elsewhere, is that not everyone is going to be suited to doing squats and that there are alternatives.
Sorry, I've maybe misled you a bit as I have been doing squats intermittently but never committing to them for a while and have never given them a real go because I wasn't enjoying them/felt shite when doing them. I did enjoy last week however for the first time in ages doing them so I'm going to try and stick at it.

I finally reached what I think is my optimal weight and wanted some advice on diet for putting on muscle from those who have more experience than me. I currently lift on two days a week, mostly focusing on compound moves but also some additional triceps and biceps work. In addition to this I do kickboxing once a week and a conditioning circuit probably twice a week (sometimes three times) so I think I burn enough calories to up my intake to try and increase muscle size, but I've read so many conflicting things now that I'm not sure what to do next. I've done an estimate of my BMR and it's 1600cal, so when I was losing weight I was eating about 1900cal a day. I've upped it to 3000cal a day now and trying to get those from protein, fresh vegetables and fats (nuts, avocados, feta). Does that sound about right?

I finally reached what I think is my optimal weight and wanted some advice on diet for putting on muscle from those who have more experience than me. I currently lift on two days a week, mostly focusing on compound moves but also some additional triceps and biceps work. In addition to this I do kickboxing once a week and a conditioning circuit probably twice a week (sometimes three times) so I think I burn enough calories to up my intake to try and increase muscle size, but I've read so many conflicting things now that I'm not sure what to do next. I've done an estimate of my BMR and it's 1600cal, so when I was losing weight I was eating about 1900cal a day. I've upped it to 3000cal a day now and trying to get those from protein, fresh vegetables and fats (nuts, avocados, feta). Does that sound about right?

Eat a small enough surplus that you only gain a couple pounds per month

Bench is up to 117.5kg, a new 1RM for me this morning. Made it 7lbs lighter than when I got my last PB of 115kg...just better programming. I felt there may have been 120kg in me but I was without spotter and it would have been a really gritty lift if I didn't get buried under it.

First time I've went for a heavy single in months today, back to 100kg 3 sets of 6, twice per week, adding 2.5kg to the bar each week.

Really enjoying my training at the moment :cool:

I’ve done something untoward to my back whilst squatting last weekend

Didn’t feel a problem at the time but it got worse as Sunday wore on and it’s still not quite better. Had to just take some light squats today to keep doing the movement then use some leg machines to actually train them under some weight. Could barely deadlift during the week and can’t really arch on bench.

Probably not helped by me now being in a job where I’m on my arse all day.

I’ve done something untoward to my back whilst squatting last weekend

Didn’t feel a problem at the time but it got worse as Sunday wore on and it’s still not quite better. Had to just take some light squats today to keep doing the movement then use some leg machines to actually train them under some weight. Could barely deadlift during the week and can’t really arch on bench.

Probably not helped by me now being in a job where I’m on my arse all day.
Fat ****

Back