Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Right I've decided I haven't got time to compete anymore this year, got 6 months left of uni and a single person will decide if I'm fit to be signed off as a nurse so I can't risk telling them I'm a powerlifter, most people ask questions about it but occasionally it's upset my mentors bizarrely so I'm just gonna start preparing for next year now.

@Titus @Charmless Man and other bellends I want to cut my current weight down from 93kg to 86-88kg then bulk up again to a training weight of 93-95kg.

Any recommendations like....

Right I've decided I haven't got time to compete anymore this year, got 6 months left of uni and a single person will decide if I'm fit to be signed off as a nurse so I can't risk telling them I'm a powerlifter, most people ask questions about it but occasionally it's upset my mentors bizarrely so I'm just gonna start preparing for next year now.

@Titus @Charmless Man and other bellends I want to cut my current weight down from 93kg to 86-88kg then bulk up again to a training weight of 93-95kg.

No carbs before bucking iirc.

Nah with that much time I'd take it slow but not painfully slow, as that can be damaging to maintaining where you're at too. Protein slightly higher and around 0.5% bodyweight loss per week or so.

I recommend you stop guzzling horse cum.

And pics of the single person.

Do you know what rankles with me? How my rep work on deadlift just doesn’t match my ability with 1rm.

Absolutely paggered as soon as I go above 5 reps. Not an issue with squat and bench.

Can only think it’s because I wear my belt around my lungs on deadlift as opposed to round my belly on squats.

Do you know what rankles with me? How my rep work on deadlift just doesn’t match my ability with 1rm.

Absolutely paggered as soon as I go above 5 reps. Not an issue with squat and bench.

Can only think it’s because I wear my belt around my lungs on deadlift as opposed to round my belly on squats.
Which is better like?

I have done 3x5, 5x5 is a really solid starting point, how long have you trained for?
About 18 months but my lifts have really stalled recently because I've slipped out of a proper plan. Was speaking to a lad in work today and he's recommended me the 5-3-1 so I'm going to give that a go I think having read a bit. I really want to improve my squat because it's f***ing rubbish right now.

Who's done 5x5 powerlifts? Would you recommend it? Think @Stevie Freestein II might have?
Yes I have used stronglifts 5x5 on 2 separate occasions but it’s difficult continuing on a linear progression programme without hitting failures.

I preferred rippetoe’s starting strength 3x5 as the 5x5 takes up more time.

I’m now doing a periodisation programme, one week 3x8, next week 3x7, then 3rd week 3x6. 4th week deload then add 2.5kg onto lifts and start again.

If you are shite at squats then replace it, I use an upright hack squat machine.

About 18 months but my lifts have really stalled recently because I've slipped out of a proper plan. Was speaking to a lad in work today and he's recommended me the 5-3-1 so I'm going to give that a go I think having read a bit. I really want to improve my squat because it's f***ing rubbish right now.
5x5 is the best program for squats, I would give that a go for at least 12 weeks then you can reassess. It got a little much for me in the end though, my workouts were too long and I couldn't put as much intensity into bench/press after going all out on the squats. I switched to 531 which I must say I prefer but my stint with 5x5 was invaluable.

Back