Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Progressing my bench on that programme I mentioned earlier in the thread - managed ten sets of 3 at 97.5kg today. It was a bit of a struggle, do it again in a few days and then try 100kg...I think I’ll have to start lowering sets on that but that’s part of the progression plan

Progressing my bench on that programme I mentioned earlier in the thread - managed ten sets of 3 at 97.5kg today. It was a bit of a struggle, do it again in a few days and then try 100kg...I think I’ll have to start lowering sets on that but that’s part of the progression plan

I’m dead popular in my gym when I do ten sets on bench, seeing as there’s only one fixed bench :lol:

I prefer to bench in the squat rack as I can adjust it to a better height for me, and I don’t have a spotter. I move if anyone actually wants to squat though.

Aye, we have plenty of racks to use if I’m hogging the actual bench. They’ve also just put a new free standing rack (the type with two separate adjustable pillars for squatting or pressing) with a bench under it in as well.

Think I'll give this a go once I get through my current programme. Sounds f***ing awful to do on deadlifting though :lol:
It's clearly having a positive influence in my bench, I'd recommend. I only did it a few times on deadlifting...too time consuming and demanding.

Deadlifting tonight, went well, I've had a lot of back and sciatica problems but on the mend. Work sets of 150kg which is not what I used to be at obviously, but I've got to here a lot quicker than it took when I started the first time

It's clearly having a positive influence in my bench, I'd recommend. I only did it a few times on deadlifting...too time consuming and demanding.

Deadlifting tonight, went well, I've had a lot of back and sciatica problems but on the mend. Work sets of 150kg which is not what I used to be at obviously, but I've got to here a lot quicker than it took when I started the first time
How did you go about increasing your deadlift? I'm at 120kg at the moment and would like to get it up to 150 by summer I think. Reckon that's possible?

How did you go about increasing your deadlift? I'm at 120kg at the moment and would like to get it up to 150 by summer I think. Reckon that's possible?
It depends to what extent you've trained and practised it already, if you're a relative "noob" in deadlifting then yes it's definitely possible..if you are experienced and have found it hard to progress pass 120 then it might take longer.

its difficult to give advice without context of the above and also what your current training volume and routine is..

Is the 120kg a 1RM or can you do e.g. 5 reps?

If you have stalled at linear progression then you’ll have to suss what your weakness is I.e. initial pull, straightening up, grip, etc.

I increased my bench press 1RM by 5kg over 6 weeks by following a programme that built in paused lifts to overcome weakness off the chest, and I also trained my triceps more. I’m going to repeat this method throughout the year to see what the 1RM will be.

You’ll have to find the equivalents for deadlifting.

Is the 120kg a 1RM or can you do e.g. 5 reps?

If you have stalled at linear progression then you’ll have to suss what your weakness is I.e. initial pull, straightening up, grip, etc.

I increased my bench press 1RM by 5kg over 6 weeks by following a programme that built in paused lifts to overcome weakness off the chest, and I also trained my triceps more. I’m going to repeat this method throughout the year to see what the 1RM will be.

You’ll have to find the equivalents for deadlifting.
I sent you that link daft lad. Steroids rotting yr brain? But aye, my 120kg is 1RM. I've found a program to try once I'm done with my current one - https://www.t-nation.com/training/simple-deadlift-program

It depends to what extent you've trained and practised it already, if you're a relative "noob" in deadlifting then yes it's definitely possible..if you are experienced and have found it hard to progress pass 120 then it might take longer.

its difficult to give advice without context of the above and also what your current training volume and routine is..
Been deadlifting about 8 months or so, but had a break of a month too when I got a knee at kickboxing and couldn't feel my left thigh properly. I've progressed up to 120kg fairly quickly but have been stuck there for a while. Decided to back off from it for a bit and do some full-body workouts to get myself back into shape post-Christmas but I'm going to concentrate on my deadlift once I've finished that plan in 5 weeks or so.

My piriformis on the right hand side is fucked and I can barely squat or deadlift.

Literally screaming my way through beltless sets of 150kg x 7 on the safety bar. Had hoped to go quite a bit higher for my ‘hypertrophy’ day.

Any tips for dealing with the pain?

My piriformis on the right hand side is fucked and I can barely squat or deadlift.

Literally screaming my way through beltless sets of 150kg x 7 on the safety bar. Had hoped to go quite a bit higher for my ‘hypertrophy’ day.

Any tips for dealing with the pain?
Have you got a foam roller? Can't say I've ever had what you have but if it's muscular then one of those ones with the lumps on might help with the deep massage. It's definitely helped pain I've had elsewhere previously. Other than that, physio or sports massage mate to get it checked properly. Diclofenac helps with muscular pain too.

Roughly how many calories do people eat a day? I'm currently on about 1900 which feels like a lot of food to me, it's great.

Have you got a foam roller? Can't say I've ever had what you have but if it's muscular then one of those ones with the lumps on might help with the deep massage. It's definitely helped pain I've had elsewhere previously. Other than that, physio or sports massage mate to get it checked properly. Diclofenac helps with muscular pain too.

Roughly how many calories do people eat a day? I'm currently on about 1900 which feels like a lot of food to me, it's great.

About 3500, give or take.

:lol:

Haway then, what's yr calorie intake Arnie?
I haven’t monitored it for about 2 years. If I want to add muscle I eat whenever I’m hungry, at the moment I’m a bit chubby but it’s winter and nobody can see it.

After about April I might drop down to about 2000 but do more cardio, so that I look fab in my speedos. I probably won’t use myfitnesspal I will just cut down on beer, chocolate, lard etc.

:eek::eek: I'm currently on 2222 due to never having time to exercise and shifting the christmas mince pies and I feel like I could keel owa at any point.

Back