Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

I'll post here to save starting a new thread.

I have a PT but due to my work shifts I can't see him much this week.

Looking at going alone this week and training body parts. Been suggest to do back and biceps as a group.

My question is what would be the most beneficial exercises for those 2 body parts, sets, reps etc. Thanks

Dunno if it's generally right or wrong but I always train back on it's own, and do biceps with triceps as there's a lot of different muscles to hit on the back, so I try to get a good variety in, chop and changing angles. Plus unless you're completely strict you engage your biceps a bit doing back exercises so I don't feel like you can put 100% in to bicep specific ones. Especially considering back workouts are exhausting.

Dunno if it's generally right or wrong but I always train back on it's own, and do biceps with triceps as there's a lot of different muscles to hit on the back, so I try to get a good variety in, chop and changing angles. Plus unless you're completely strict you engage your biceps a bit doing back exercises so I don't feel like you can put 100% in to bicep specific ones. Especially considering back workouts are exhausting.
I'd agree with you here, Pete, from the posters query I can imagine he is fairly new to working out with weights - a solid back session will engage the biceps enough to stimulate growth.

If we were talking about a more advanced trainer who was approaching or had reached a plateau with their arms & specifically wanted bigger guns, then a series of dedicated Bicep sets on top of the back workout would be advisable

I'm back to pulling around 230kg - based on how easy singles at 225kg feel - in my usual conventional style.

Not pulled sumo in ages and fell over backwards when I locked out 140kg today :lol: forgot how much quicker the second half of a sumo deadlift is.

you turned into swiss tony :lol:, got told by physio have weak glutes

whats glute ham raises and good mornings ?

Glute ham raises involve locking your feet in place and using the front of your thighs/knees as a pivot to raise our torso until it your knees are at right angles. Facing the floor.

Good mornings are where you place a barbell on your back as if you were performing a squat but you hinge at the hips leaning forwards, then return the bar to a standing position just using your posterior chain.

Strengthening the hips and glutes is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you've got to get your lycra singlet on, you've got limber up on the floor and get yourself nice and warm, then you grasp your bar and thrust your crotch with all the force you can muster!

Sort of a week off now.

Worked up to some heavy singles on Friday to test where I’m at. Now on holiday up in Scotland. I’ve got access to the gym of a nearby hotel but I expect it’s just dumbbells and machines. So I’ll just treat it as a deload week and do some bodybuilding stuff.

So I'm thinking of including a couple of ' lifting ' routines into my weekly regimes.

I'm a beginner in that sort of exercise, the weight I lift in PT of normal gym sessions varies depending what I've already done etc.

What would people advice on the best routine to start with? I've heard stuff called 5x5, 531, etc.. I have no idea!

Back