Powergrid text message

I just got a text message from Powergrid to tell me they are working hard to restore my power supplies, Our power has not been off but I know it's still down in a few areas close to me, what I am wondering is how did they get my number? I've never called them and with GDPR I wouldn't think my electricity supplier would give them my number, it's a text message and does not allow replies, I can't even see the number that sent the message.
No links to any dodgy sites just "see our Twitter and Facebook pages or in an emergency call 105"
It's obviously in the legitimate interests of the supplier and the grid to process your data in this way. They don't need your consent.

It would be better if they had staff working weekends, I get that we don't get storms like that often but teams of workers could do some of the work that gets done Monday to Friday, then staff would be available when needed, I don't get why they only work Monday to Friday, it's really an out of date way to run.
This is an impossible situation for them as they cannot possibly carry enough staff to allow for one off situations every ten years or so.

I received a text yesterday from western power distribution who maintain the network in the midlands.

one tip: if you awake in the morning for work and notice that the power is off and is affecting more than your own house, then find someone else to report it.

I did the good citizen act but then I had to stay at home and wait for an engineer.

It's obviously in the legitimate interests of the supplier and the grid to process your data in this way. They don't need your consent.

I would think most of these would be broadcast information messages to all phones on a particular cell. I could be wrong though.

I am still awaiting my message and we just got our power restored last night. That said there was no mobile signal either for most of that period!

Still got no broadband. All they are saying is there are widespread outages and my fault is logged. They aim to fix it within 30 days :evil:

Still no power at my 89 year old Mams sheltered housing place. For two days She had no heat, hot water, cooking facilities or phone connection whilst she was isolating prior to cancer surgery yesterday. My brother stepped up - and a combination of constant relay of hot water bottles, hot food, flasks, blankets and battery radios and torches - plus her innate stubbornness and stoicism meant she maintained her isolation and could get to hospital for her surgery. She refused to be moved to my Brothers house because his wife is ill, sleeping downstairs and Mam couldn’t manage the stairs. She refused to be moved to a hotel.

The building residents - all aged- made special arrangements fir a door attendant Rita because the electronic doors to the building weren’t working. The emergency power cord in all the rooms didn’t work of course. She can’t work her mobile phone.

She’s in hospital now. Im trying to arrange that she’s admitted for post surgery interim care into the Residential Care Home opposite to where she lives. They have power.

Ive been on the phone and emailing so much that I feel like I’ve told everybody all this already so forgive me if I’m duplicating a post.

The management of the home are arranging emergency generators (probably come on just after the power is restored - and moving people to hotels now. Some are refusing.

I spoke to Mam about having a calor gas heater but she said it wasn’t allowed. The bloke two doors away from her is staying out. Because he has a calor gas heater.
that should have read ‘door attendant rota’ not Rita. Rita’s 92 and is excused door monitoring duties

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a few texts off them since the weekend. Don't know why cos the juice is on at mine. It's the roof that's fucked.

I just got a text message from Powergrid to tell me they are working hard to restore my power supplies, Our power has not been off but I know it's still down in a few areas close to me, what I am wondering is how did they get my number? I've never called them and with GDPR I wouldn't think my electricity supplier would give them my number, it's a text message and does not allow replies, I can't even see the number that sent the message.
No links to any dodgy sites just "see our Twitter and Facebook pages or in an emergency call 105"

They have hidden listening devices in your power sockets.

Back