Powerful earthquake in Athens

Yep. It ruined my siesta.

It came from nowhere. A huge bang and severe shaking, then subsided quickly. Still having aftershocks. A 4.4 about five minutes ago.

No damage in our street, but hear there's been quiet a lot fallen masonry elsewhere in the city. Can confirm that the Parthenon is still standing - can see it from our balcony.

Yep. It ruined my siesta.

It came from nowhere. A huge bang and severe shaking, then subsided quickly. Still having aftershocks. A 4.4 about five minutes ago.

No damage in our street, but hear there's been quiet a lot fallen masonry elsewhere in the city. Can confirm that the Parthenon is still standing - can see it from our balcony.

Zeus is angry, but not THAT angry

posting that from your mams spare bedroom really :lol:

Aye, an elaborate ruse for which I laid the groundwork last month: Athens

Still lots of sirens, and absolute gridlock on the roads. The Greeks being Greeks, they've all decided at the same time to finish work and go home to check for damage. If there's another one, you wouldn't want to be sat in a car stuck in traffic in some of the narrow streets here. Most of the damage seems to have been to cars from falling bits of buildings.

Last edited:
5.1 isn't powerful tbf it's very minor

It was shallow and close to the city. I've experienced a 6.4 before, which went on for ages. But for sheer violence, the first couple of seconds of this one were worse.

Depends if the location it hits has the infrastructure to deal with earthquakes. Does Athens? I have no real idea.

We're in the fifth floor of an old apartment block. It feels pretty solid. The trouble is, in the city centre there are a lot of derelict buildings. Difficult to know where to run to if you're on the pavement and an earthquake hits. Saw a pic a few minutes ago of a street we were on this morning covered in masonry, including the cross from the top of a church (some Greeks are saying it's because the new PM is an atheist).

Yeah i've experienced a few in california over the years which gets them regularly around the 4-6 mark and you barely notice them really it just feels like a trains going by underneath

Yeah i've experienced a few in california over the years which gets them regularly around the 4-6 mark and you barely notice them really it just feels like a trains going by underneath

One of the aftershocks was 4.4 which - like you say - feels like a train going underneath. But with the quake itself, I honestly don't know if I got out of bed or was thrown out. I was lying there, and then I was up and running for shelter in the doorway. All the furniture in the apartment went for a bit of a wander.

It was shallow and close to the city. I've experienced a 6.4 before, which went on for ages. But for sheer violence, the first couple of seconds of this one were worse.

We're in the fifth floor of an old apartment block. It feels pretty solid. The trouble is, in the city centre there are a lot of derelict buildings. Difficult to know where to run to if you're on the pavement and an earthquake hits. Saw a pic a few minutes ago of a street we were on this morning covered in masonry, including the cross from the top of a church (some Greeks are saying it's because the new PM is an atheist).
I've never experienced a real earthquake, the one we had in the UK a few years ago interrupted/joined my dream for a second or so and woke me up. A mate of mine was in Kathmandu when they had the recent big one though, his description of it and then the aftermath is horrific.

One of the aftershocks was 4.4 which - like you say - feels like a train going underneath. But with the quake itself, I honestly don't know if I got out of bed or was thrown out. I was lying there, and then I was up and running for shelter in the doorway. All the furniture in the apartment went for a bit of a wander.
My mate said the aftershocks in Nepal were constant for days afterwards, some of them were around 7 in magnitude and they had hundreds over a week or so iirc. He said they could see trees in the distance swaying and then watch the effects coming towards them before it hit. Terrifying.

Last edited:
Some lasses were Indonesia last year, from my town and were wondering around the site of a volcano which kicked off, they escaped...... but how come I knew 48 hours earlier it was going to go off and they had no idea? Makes you think ;)

Back