Potential dismissal at work legal help

This is an actual quote from the health and safety executive webpage

Training
You should have received training on the correct safety procedures for any of the following tasks for which you are responsible:

• Operating dispensing equipment, and recognising and reporting faults;
  • Recording tank contents and meter readings;
  • Using other site equipment, and recognising and reporting faults;
  • Dealing with potential danger, including the use of firefighting equipment, dealing with leakages and spillages, notifying the emergency services and recording accident damage;
  • Procedures when delivery of petrol takes place - only people appointed and trained as 'competent persons' under the appropriate Regulations may receive deliveries;
  • Procedures for dispenser switch-off, tanker parking, tanker and tank dip checks or gauge readings, petroleum certification, and completion of fuel stock control records;
  • Site opening and closing procedures;
  • Dealing with customer queries regarding safety.
A record of this training should be maintained by your employer.
Have you had that training? Was it recorded? Did the manager record it even though you haven't had it?

Let’s look for excuses whilst ignoring five years experience in the job ? , you know what you did was wrong , admit it like a man.
The company have a responsibility to provide the right training, they haven't and in my view it is their fault.

I'm aghast that a company is knowingly allowing untrained staff to man a petrol station.

If I was him, I would suggest a compromise agreement, where the pay him the equivalent of his pay till September OR if they won't go for that then inform them that he'll see them in an ET1 and will ensure the correct authorities are informed about the companys illegal H&S.

Last edited:

That's not how unions work. The lad's in one so he can go to them for help but people thinking they only need to join when they get in bother is the reason why union strength has been weakened and employees are regularly shat on.

Agreed, I would advise everyone to be in a union not only as an insurance in case they find themselves in a situation but also to strengthen the collective bargaining position. But I don’t know a single TU official who would turn someone away that needed assistance.

This post reminds me why I f***ing hate unions. Someone acts like a halfwit and endangers safety and these fuckers need to find a way to blame someone else. Boils my piss.

Man the fuck up, take some responsibility for you actions, resign before you get sacked and realise if you were prepared to let someone do that on a petrol forecourt you were in the wrong job and move on

Each to their own mate, but I guarantee you an employer will use everything it can in a dispute with an employee including legal department/HR professionals. So why should the employee just take it on the chin? Especially when there’s wider politics going on like they clearly is with the OP and his manager.

You wouldn’t go to court without a lawyer.

Last edited:
Have you had that training? Was it recorded? Did the manager record it even though you haven't had it?

The company have a responsibility to provide the right training, they haven't and in my view it is their fault.

I'm aghast that a company is knowingly allowing untrained staff to man a petrol station.

If I was him, I would suggest a compromise agreement, where the pay him the equivalent of his pay till September OR if they won't go for that then inform them that he'll see them in an ET1 and will ensure the correct authorities are informed about the companys illegal H&S.

Never im afraid.

I've rang the union offices and they've said they'll get the rep in contact asap, until then don't go in to talk to my manager.

If the situation somehow continues down the disciplinary path I'll follow @Hep advice.

If he was in the RMT they would be on strike then not only would he keep his job but his manager would lose theirs and the OP promoted into his, every member of the union would get a pay rise on safety grounds despite no extra training being given
Only right.

Never im afraid.

I've rang the union offices and they've said they'll get the rep in contact asap, until then don't go in to talk to my manager.

If the situation somehow continues down the disciplinary path I'll follow @Hep advice.

To be honest after buncefield i am sure the HSE would take a fairly dim view of fuel depots without adequately trained staff.

Any updates on this case?

I was told by my manager that it was going to investigatory, and I told her that I was advised by the union to tell her I had received no fuel training, and that they'd sit in on any investigatory.

She said there was nothing she could do because the area manager and HR knew about it etc etc, but funny enough since we talked she hasn't mentioned anything about the investigation.

I dont know if their weighing up whether it's worth following up or not or whether shes just shitting me up one last time before I leave, but personally I have no idea at the moment

I was told by my manager that it was going to investigatory, and I told her that I was advised by the union to tell her I had received no fuel training, and that they'd sit in on any investigatory.

She said there was nothing she could do because the area manager and HR knew about it etc etc, but funny enough since we talked she hasn't mentioned anything about the investigation.

I dont know if their weighing up whether it's worth following up or not or whether shes just shitting me up one last time before I leave, but personally I have no idea at the moment
Hopefully, no news is good news.

That's not how unions work. The lad's in one so he can go to them for help but people thinking they only need to join when they get in bother is the reason why union strength has been weakened and employees are regularly shat on.
Many are disappointed when they hit bother and try to join. My union has a 4 week rule, they don't represent on any issue arising less than 4 weeks before joining.

I reckon their arse has fell out .

Last edited:
The company has a absolute duty of care to you and the public it beggar believe they have not trained you, if they start disciplinary procedure you can draw it out with your union rep. If it looks like they are going to be sacked you could have a case of unfair dismissal at a Tribunal or you could negotiate a settlement agreement employer do not like Tribunal this could cover your pay till September. Best of luck it not the end of the world and there are lot of crap job you get to you over till September

Hopefully, no news is good news.

Yeah im hoping if I just keep me head down and don't talk about it, it'll just blow over

Many are disappointed when they hit bother and try to join. My union has a 4 week rule, they don't represent on any issue arising less than 4 weeks before joining.

I reckon their arse has fell out .

Really hope so

Back