Post Pandemic Customer Service

Prey tell?
Whilst I think some people WFH are clearly doing so with impunity, i’ve seen just as much bad customer service either face to face or in office environments. People seem lazy, they can’t be arsed anymore, just tipping away in 2nd gear wanting their money for very little (Furlough Culture maybe).
Im referring to trying to get an appointment to see a GP face to face

Pandemic was an excuse. We kept the same service levels for our customers who hardly noticed a difference. Only difference is the dog or kids may heard by customers on calls but hardly impacting customers in a bad way.

Why is it so shit? Or is that just my perception?

Is it down to people being allowed to WFH or have companies lowered the bar? Or is it just that customers are actually becoming more intollerant (we frequently hear that abuse of shop workers is up % Post pandemic etc despite the fact we were clapping for supermarket workers at one point).

I’ve got a theory that as the pandemic hit, people were making allowances for customer service issues, many staff couldnt take calls whilst WFH, we had the Furloughed lot chilling in their gardens on 80% pay, people were anxious & many customers were probably just happy to be ‘safe’ & riding the pandemic out. It seems to me that a lot of organisations and businesses (including some that are customer facing on the high street) just can’t snap out of that mindset?

It’s as simple as this.

Young people who tend to do these jobs have actually woken up. They’ve realised that doing these jobs is absolute horseshit and you don’t need to take the abuse or give a fuck.

I say this as a former; chugger, ASDA worker and retail phone lacky.

Aye when the job meant you could afford basics and a night out of a weekend, fine, but not now.

Managed to get my mattress sorted thanks to Amex and a section 75 claim. The retailer has been told to refund me and Amex are refunding me the charges for the independent reports 👍

Ordered a new one elsewhere but it's being handmade to order so I'm stuck with sleeping on my sons old single mattress for a few weeks yet.

Santander.
No BOH staff returned yet so unable to open my youngest an account.
I said its ok ive got your direct line ill try in a few weeks. “The phones upstairs and nobody works there now”.
Jesus wept.

Santander.
No BOH staff returned yet so unable to open my youngest an account.
I said its ok ive got your direct line ill try in a few weeks. “The phones upstairs and nobody works there now”.
Jesus wept.
Pathetic that like. I keep hearing the same from Durham Council. These organisations need calling out.

Today I tried to contact the company that manufactures my garden fairy lights. Yes. Fairy lights. They are actually called 'festoon lights' and are solar powered. I need some replacement bulbs.

Well actually, Mrs Kaplan does. I don't particularly like the buggers. She's bought what she thought were the right ones, but they didn't work. She's searched the internet with no luck. So I identified the company that makes the brand she wants to replace and looked up their 'contact us' info.

I tried to phone but the voicemail greeting said that 'due to unprecedented demand' they'd closed the phone lines down. So I left an online enquiry via their system. I got an e-mail saying much the same thing as the voicemail about the phoneline. So I doubled up with an e-mail to their 'info@...' address

"Please note that we are currently experiencing an exceptionally high number of orders and enquiries which is resulting in lengthy delays to email replies.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and we thank you in advance for your patience and understanding."

I'm sorry but on what planet is there a sudden unprecedented spike in demand for garden fairy lights?

Today I tried to contact the company that manufactures my garden fairy lights. Yes. Fairy lights. They are actually called 'festoon lights' and are solar powered. I need some replacement bulbs.

Well actually, Mrs Kaplan does. I don't particularly like the buggers. She's bought what she thought were the right ones, but they didn't work. She's searched the internet with no luck. So I identified the company that makes the brand she wants to replace and looked up their 'contact us' info.

I tried to phone but the voicemail greeting said that 'due to unprecedented demand' they'd closed the phone lines down. So I left an online enquiry via their system. I got an e-mail saying much the same thing as the voicemail about the phoneline. So I doubled up with an e-mail to their 'info@...' address

"Please note that we are currently experiencing an exceptionally high number of orders and enquiries which is resulting in lengthy delays to email replies.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and we thank you in advance for your patience and understanding."

I'm sorry but on what planet is there a sudden unprecedented spike in demand for garden fairy lights?

See if you can find the product on an amazon style website and ask the question in the questions section, I always seem to get good responses from them and in good time.

They’re used at festivals, pubs, outdoor events etc etc, and I know there’s massive demand on other related gear in that field like portaloos, heras fencing, so I’d not be in the slightest bit surprised that they’d be the same.

See if you can find the product on an amazon style website and ask the question in the questions section, I always seem to get good responses from them and in good time.
I looked at that, ta. After seeing that somebody hadn't had a response to the same question, and that they'd asked in 2021 I thought I might be unsuccessful too.

I'm now assuming I'd have to buy a whole new £50 ish set - including all the fittings and the solar charger - just to get some replacement bulbs. But I thought I'd just try the manufacturer before I advise the missus to sack 'em off and go for something different.
Anyone trying to get a passport? :lol:
All WFH i’ve heard
Nope but I was required to apply for a new driving license. I read horror stories and heard on tv etc that it was taking months and people were losing their driving jobs for lack of a driving license. I got mine in about 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
A combination of cut workforces, more people working from home and difficult to get hold of.

Multiply the effects of the above and other factors through multiple layers of a supply chain and everything just adds to delays.

Why is it so shit? Or is that just my perception?

Is it down to people being allowed to WFH or have companies lowered the bar? Or is it just that customers are actually becoming more intollerant (we frequently hear that abuse of shop workers is up % Post pandemic etc despite the fact we were clapping for supermarket workers at one point).

I’ve got a theory that as the pandemic hit, people were making allowances for customer service issues, many staff couldnt take calls whilst WFH, we had the Furloughed lot chilling in their gardens on 80% pay, people were anxious & many customers were probably just happy to be ‘safe’ & riding the pandemic out. It seems to me that a lot of organisations and businesses (including some that are customer facing on the high street) just can’t snap out of that mindset?
Found customer service in shops to be on the whole shite lately. Can clearly see a lot of places haven't got enough staff on.

Back