Post a pic of your axe

Been looking at getting myself a 3/4 size acoustic and getting more into into fingerpicking as I have up to now been more of a rhythm guitarist (just playing around strumming chords). I am pretty much down to either a Taylor GS Mini or a Martin LX1. Will probably go mahogany rather than rosewood.

Interested to know your thoughts on whether to get an electric acoustic or just acoustic one? I only ever play at home to myself and the cheap dreadnought acoustic I bash away on these days has no electric on and that has always been fine. I have a couple of electrics and even with those I often don't plug them in and instead use them unplugged simply because the action is lower and its more comfortable to mess around with.

I guess my question is whether playing it through an amp will change the sound (outside of using pedals etc) or just amplify the acoustic sound?

also interested to hear from anyone that has either of these on the action. I want an acoustic with fairly low action as I have only played with high action and would rather the new guitar was easier to play
If you only play in the house don’t bother with an electro.

Just keep it simple and play loads 👍

If you only play in the house don’t bother with an electro.

Just keep it simple and play loads 👍
Thanks. that is the advice I was looking for I think. I research everything way too much and end up becoming indecisive as I give myself too many things to think about.

I wondered about having it electric so I have the option of messing about with pedals in the future, but I have pedals now with my electrics and I rarely ever use them!

Thanks. that is the advice I was looking for I think. I research everything way too much and end up becoming indecisive as I give myself too many things to think about.

I wondered about having it electric so I have the option of messing about with pedals in the future, but I have pedals now with my electrics and I rarely ever use them!
If you make it as easy as possible to pick up and play you will play more.

No cables, no amps, no issues with noise levels for family and neighbours just playing tunes.

I use a Yamaha THR10 in the house as it will produce a great sound with acoustics and electrics but most of the time I can’t be arsed to get it out the bag, plug it in, plug leads in, it’s easier just to grab an acoustic and start playing

If you make it as easy as possible to pick up and play you will play more.

No cables, no amps, no issues with noise levels for family and neighbours just playing tunes.

I use a Yamaha THR10 in the house as it will produce a great sound with acoustics and electrics but most of the time I can’t be arsed to get it out the bag, plug it in, plug leads in, it’s easier just to grab an acoustic and start playing
Having one where you lurk is handy
Kitchen,waiting for kettles to boil or food cooking
Landing,looking out the window for your mate coming to pick you up
Next to pc,pluck while its loading,printing etc

I put my guitars in the corners of our rooms I am currently looking at a Telecaster, a Gretsch, a Yamaha and a Crafter acoustic bass. But instead of playing them I am watching “when big things go wrong”

It’s been a busy day!

Purchase made! Was going to go to a shop to play it first but just ordered a Martin LX1 from Guitar Village online instead. Always wanted to visit Guitar Village and this means I miss out on it, but they are very highly thought of and the online guitars do come from their shop and are checked over by the staff there first. and this means I will have it tomorrow for the new year weekend 😀😀😀

I've got a Fender F35 acoustic which I got at Windows when I was 16 in 1982 for around £95. It is the guitar I play all of the time. I keep looking at getting a new acoustic but only play in the house so it feels a bit excessive. I have it down to virtually no action with light strings as arthritis is causing more problems in my hands. Rarely use a plectrum now.. The guitar is bashed, bumped and needs new machine heads but still sounds canny to my ears and I idle time away with it.

I have an Antoria ES175 copy which I got secondhand in 1984. It needs rewiring so only works acoustically now. I love it and need to invest in a full repair with new pots and pickups.

This isn't mine but is the model, with different pick ups

Antoria ES-175N copy 1970s Natural | Graham's Gear Bazaar | Reverb
A couple of years ago I got a Gretsch Electromatic Jet with a Bigsby to have a working electric. A nice guitar, though heavy, and I play it far less than my acoustic, as getting the cables and amp out is a carry on.

I probably should have just got the Antoria sorted but it just seemed a lot of hassle to find someone to do the work near me in London so I took the line of least resistance. I also wondered if the expense of sorting the old guitar would be worth it.

Got a 5 string Gold Tone banjo and a Tonewood Tar 10 mandolin too.

I play for my own enjoyment, not played with anyone else in years, but a guitar would be my desert island luxury.

Purchase made! Was going to go to a shop to play it first but just ordered a Martin LX1 from Guitar Village online instead. Always wanted to visit Guitar Village and this means I miss out on it, but they are very highly thought of and the online guitars do come from their shop and are checked over by the staff there first. and this means I will have it tomorrow for the new year weekend 😀😀😀
Brilliant I hope you love it 👍

Oh god no - not another guitar shop I have book marked. I feel some GAS coming on.
I have never been in there, which is a crying shame as I know Farnham pretty well. Its a lovely little market town with some good surrounding areas (if you can ignore Aldershot) you could make a day of it

If you don't know Guitar Village (which you northern folk most likely don't) its a bit if a mecca in the south (outside of London) for guitarists

Here are some of their customers - Celebrity Customers
A fellow Sunderland fan lives about 75 metres from that shop, whenever I visit I call in. It is a phenomenal place.

I’m in the Uk at the moment and there has been flooding in Kuwait. Most of my collection are in the basement in Kuwait, God knows what I will return to........
A Firebird VII, still have it.

Last edited:
A fellow Sunderland fan lives about 75 metres from that shop, whenever I visit I call in. It is a phenomenal place.

I’m in the Uk at the moment and there has been flooding in Kuwait. Most of my collection are in the basement in Kuwait, God knows what I will return to........

Oh no I hope your guitars are ok. Let us know on your return.

Been looking at getting myself a 3/4 size acoustic and getting more into into fingerpicking as I have up to now been more of a rhythm guitarist (just playing around strumming chords). I am pretty much down to either a Taylor GS Mini or a Martin LX1. Will probably go mahogany rather than rosewood.

Interested to know your thoughts on whether to get an electric acoustic or just acoustic one? I only ever play at home to myself and the cheap dreadnought acoustic I bash away on these days has no electric on and that has always been fine. I have a couple of electrics and even with those I often don't plug them in and instead use them unplugged simply because the action is lower and its more comfortable to mess around with.

I guess my question is whether playing it through an amp will change the sound (outside of using pedals etc) or just amplify the acoustic sound?

also interested to hear from anyone that has either of these on the action. I want an acoustic with fairly low action as I have only played with high action and would rather the new guitar was easier to play
I've got a couple of little plug in amps with headphones which do a great job of reproducing a full size amp sound without the bother of a big amp taking up space. Have a look at "AC30 mini amp" most of the big makers now have small emulators to cater for your taste.

Bad news Pea tar, hope there's no damage. 🤞

Just read the new issue of Guitarist magazine and there is a feature and review of Robson Guitars which are built in Sunderland (they even have a 73 designated guitar and appear to be very high end with prices to match as well as being things of beauty) - the workshop is 0.5 mile from Penshaw Monument apparently. The bloke who runs the outfit also makes machineheads for the very high end acoustic guitar market (Lowden etc.) and his pickups are made by a bloke in Peterlee. Hopefully he does really well great so see proper craftsman doing well

Nightmare.

Had my Aria Nashville Tele a couple of weeks, once I got it set up right it sounds sweet, but I'm a born fiddler & like to put my stamp on things so I'm swapping the bridge & neck pickups for a set of Bare Knuckle Boot Camp, True Grits, on for £88 for the set at Gak, bargain. The stock pickups aren't bad Alnico 5's, decent sound, I'll pass them onto my mate who does guitar mods & builds in his shed. Next stop is some locking tuners, then I'll decide if I need to swop out the middle strat rwrp pickup, not sure on that yet, going to see how it goes with the Bare Knuckle's. 🤔

Back