Post a pic of your axe

Reading this thread is rapidly pulling me back in.

Anyone have any experience with the Harley Benton Les Paul copies? Definitely interested in one of those for around £150.
they are a cracking base to mod , pickups wiring loom etc, tuners are decent ,liked the neck it had a bit beef the vintage brand ones are nice playing and sounding but the necks are toothpick thin .

they are a cracking base to mod , pickups wiring loom etc, tuners are decent ,liked the neck it had a bit beef the vintage brand ones are nice playing and sounding but the necks are toothpick thin .

Sounds ideal for a beater. I struggle with wider necks tbh so a thin neck would likely suit me down to the ground.

Images as promised. I’ve just given it a final clean and polish in preparation for the new machine heads and restringing. Actually looks a lot better now and you wouldn’t see the dents on the front unless you were up close.

Second picture shows a chip at the top, there’s a couple like that spotted around including the headstock.

Apologies for the lighting!

Logon or register to see this image

https://ibb.co/TRKWrr5
https://ibb.co/dKzHgXB
i meant the vintagge had the thin neck which i hate ,the harley benton had the fuller neck ,not massive club like but fatter than the harley benton

Ah apologies, I get you. Still think I’ll give the Harley Benson a look.

Last edited:
Images as promised. I’ve just given it a final clean and polish in preparation for the new machine heads and restringing. Actually looks a lot better now and you wouldn’t see the dents on the front unless you were up close.

Second picture shows a chip at the top, there’s a couple like that spotted around including the headstock.

Apologies for the lighting!

https://ibb.co/TRKWrr5
https://ibb.co/dKzHgXB

Ah apologies, I get you. Still think I’ll give the Harley Benson a look.

Beautiful that man, forget about any refinishes,....... enjoy it’s lived in feel.

Beautiful that man, forget about any refinishes,....... enjoy it’s lived in feel.

Cheers. I think I was just a bit heartbroken when I took it out the case and the finish was all clouded, bringing out the dings and dents. Much happier with it after a few hours of cleaning. Hope it still plays well.

Sounds ideal for a beater. I struggle with wider necks tbh so a thin neck would likely suit me down to the ground.

The Harley Bentons are cracking value for the money, I've got a few ;) SC-450, Hb-35, SC-Custom, DC-580, TE-20 MN CA (Candy Apple) is the latest, £70 tele which beats every squier at double the cash. - disagree about the tuners tho, they're generally gash but an easy replace with wilkinsons for 20 quid or so.

The Harley Bentons are cracking value for the money, I've got a few ;) SC-450, Hb-35, SC-Custom, DC-580, TE-20 MN CA (Candy Apple) is the latest, £70 tele which beats every squier at double the cash. - disagree about the tuners tho, they're generally gash but an easy replace with wilkinsons for 20 quid or so.

Which model is that Rickenbacker 620 copy? Is it any good?

Definitely keen on one of the SC-45 Pluses. I've just cleaned and restrung my first ever guitar after getting it back from my parents loft. I'd forgotten what an absolute bastard it is to do with the floyd rose locking tremelo.

On that note, has anyone had any experience with replacing pickups? The guitar is a Squire Stagemaster with some crappy humbuckers in it, but I fancy swapping in some EMGs for something a bit different, maybe an 81 and 85, but it looks a little fiddly, Also not sure if I have the space for the battery.

Last edited:
Definitely keen on one of the SC-45 Pluses. I've just cleaned and restrung my first ever guitar after getting it back from my parents loft. I'd forgotten what an absolute bastard it is to do with the floyd rose locking tremelo.

On that note, has anyone had any experience with replacing pickups? The guitar is a Squire Stagemaster with some crappy humbuckers in it, but I fancy swapping in some EMGs for something a bit different, maybe an 81 and 85, but it looks a little fiddly, Also not sure if I have the space for the battery.

I've done a few switch outs but usually like to like, with EMG's you might need to rout a new hole for the battery compartment as I doubt there'll be enough space to fit in the existing holes. Maybe just got for a high output passive humbucker instead - if you can solder it is pretty easy.

Thumbs up for the Harley Benton's here too,I've got two of them, cherry red 335 copy and a T80 nt both good guitars.

I've done a few switch outs but usually like to like, with EMG's you might need to rout a new hole for the battery compartment as I doubt there'll be enough space to fit in the existing holes. Maybe just got for a high output passive humbucker instead - if you can solder it is pretty easy.

I think I'd be able to squeeze the battery in. I'm more confused about setting it all up as the stagemaster only has one tone and one volume dial rather than the four the EMG kit would come with.
Back to the pictures:

Schaller top locking machine heads installed, all restrung and set up. Still getting a bit of fret buzz on the 17th fret unfortunately.

The Stagemaster, not a great guitar by any means but it was my first so I can't really get rid of it!

Last edited:
harley benton l.pauls / strats are great the 335s are rubbish really cheap and nasty feeling and if you bide your time you can get an epiphone dot for £230 off e bay ,3 times the guitar the harley is ..but as i said the l.pauls and strats are spot on , theres a video on you tube harley benton strat v fender custom shop v hand built strat (both of these £2000++) its a blindfold test and you had to vote ab or c., he posted the results a few month later and i think 38% thought the £140 harley benton was one of the 2k custom models , it shows we listen with our eyes and what name is on the headstock instead of which sounds the best !

Back