Post a pic of your axe

I think it depends on dates and the factories they cam out of. The Japanese ones can be better than the US Les Paul version and are excellent guitars but kind of hard to get. My local store had a Orville Les Paul in and it was a cracking guitar.

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/orvillegibsoninfopage.html

Thanks for that. Haven't seen that table before. From reading forums I gathered you just need one with "by Gibson" on the headstock. Wondering if an Orville by Gibson LP would be a better guitar than the Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute HP that they do. The Orvilles go for between £800-£1,200 and the LP Tribute is around £800.

Orvilles are more available on the internet so would be a case of paying a lot of money for something I wouldn't have played.

Thanks for that. Haven't seen that table before. From reading forums I gathered you just need one with "by Gibson" on the headstock. Wondering if an Orville by Gibson LP would be a better guitar than the Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute HP that they do. The Orvilles go for between £800-£1,200 and the LP Tribute is around £800.

Orvilles are more available on the internet so would be a case of paying a lot of money for something I wouldn't have played.
Depends what you want in a Les Paul to be honest.

Personally I wouldn't buy one without playing it, unless it was cheap. I think an Orville by Gibson may or may not be better than the 50's tribute but you wouldn't know unless you played it. The old Tokai lawsuit ones are supposed to be the best of the lot.

Fuck off yay. Clapton used a cherry red ES335 when he was in Cream, which was in 1966 onwards clivva shite.

Fuck off yay. Clapton used a cherry red ES335 when he was in Cream, which was in 1966 onwards clivva shite.

Logon or register to see this image
[/IMG]

Last edited:

[/IMG]

:lol: The clip of this post.

The ES-335 he used was actually during his stint in The Yardbirds. The guitar that is most synonymous with his days in Cream would be 'The Fool'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(guitar)

:lol: He still had the 335 like - kept it donkeys years, so he'll have probably used it in Cream as well. But it's the SG that you'd most associate with Cream and his 'woman' tone.
believe it or not ive just watched a vid with him paying a firebird.

Just to confuse the issue. I think he`s one of many later years strat players mor players who have come back to strats, Pete Townshend is associated with them but played gibsons during the Tommy period. Dave Gilmour is a former SG player and Scott Gorham went back to strats when Thin Lizzy broke up

believe it or not ive just watched a vid with him paying a firebird.

Just to confuse the issue. I think he`s one of many later years strat players mor players who have come back to strats, Pete Townshend is associated with them but played gibsons during the Tommy period. Dave Gilmour is a former SG player and Scott Gorham went back to strats when Thin Lizzy broke up
Aye I knew he had one of them anarl.

Gilmour's used Les Pauls throughout his career mind. The solo to Another Brick Pt.2 was recorded with his Goldtop with P90s in it (it's probably a '55/'56 model).

Gorham moved to Strats during the later years in Thin Lizzy - he liked the trem arm on them (I think it was probably a Floyd Rose like). He's more recently gone back to Les Pauls, though they're the modern access models what are a lot lighter and have the trem.

Last edited:
As we are on a Clapton debate, this is another interesting read......Also adds some credence / questions to some of the dates mentioned above. It's Clapton maaaannn, he was famous for acquiring and keeping many guitars often them being used during overlapping periods.....

You can quite easily associate him with numerous iconic guitars: ES335 (cherry), SG (Fool), Strats (Blackie and Brownie)....the list goes on. At the time electric guitars were still in their infancy and music was changing rapidly in terms of style.

https://www.groundguitar.com/eric-clapton-gear/

Aye I knew he had one of them anarl.

Gilmour's used Les Pauls throughout his career mind. The solo to Another Brick Pt.2 was recorded with his Goldtop with P90s in it (it's probably a '55/'56 model).

Gorham moved to Strats during the later years in Thin Lizzy - he liked the trem arm on them (I think it was probably a Floyd Rose like). He's more recently gone back to Les Pauls, though they're the modern access models what are a lot lighter and have the trem.
I know I read an interview with him and he basically said Phil chucked a Les Paul in his hands and said Lizzy play these. Mind I think that was around the time of the statue and one night in Dublin show with Gary Moore/Eric Bell and Brian Toopissedtoplay now :lol:
LP`s are chambered now though arent they? most of the guts routered away so more or less a semi hollowbody with a solid top on? mind I had an early Tanglewood Les Paul type, and the difference between that and this newer one I have is something daft like 7kg. This ones about 5 and that barsteward was 12!!! Lovely tone mind with all that wood but a bugger to lug round

I know I read an interview with him and he basically said Phil chucked a Les Paul in his hands and said Lizzy play these. Mind I think that was around the time of the statue and one night in Dublin show with Gary Moore/Eric Bell and Brian Toopissedtoplay now :lol:
LP`s are chambered now though arent they? most of the guts routered away so more or less a semi hollowbody with a solid top on? mind I had an early Tanglewood Les Paul type, and the difference between that and this newer one I have is something daft like 7kg. This ones about 5 and that barsteward was 12!!! Lovely tone mind with all that wood but a bugger to lug round

I have a 57 (R7) Goldtop that is a beast of a Les Paul.

I think what basically happened was their management went out and bought a pair of Les Paul Deluxes for Robbo and Gorham and that was that. Eric Bell was a Strat man. Robbo ended up getting his Deluxe routed so he could fit some proper PAF humbuckers (the Deluxe came with mini humbuckers), whilst Gorham eventually upgraded to a '59 Les Paul - a really bonny one anarl with a tobacco sunburst.

Some are chambered - the ones Gorham uses now certainly are. The Traditionals are weight relieved (like a block of cheese) like the Standard Les Pauls throughout the '80s and '90s were (Gibson never let on about this for many years - some people still aren't aware). Custom shop Les Paul's are proper solid bodied unless it states otherwise. I'm not sure what mine weighs to be honest.

Last edited:
As we are on a Clapton debate, this is another interesting read......Also adds some credence / questions to some of the dates mentioned above. It's Clapton maaaannn, he was famous for acquiring and keeping many guitars often them being used during overlapping periods.....

You can quite easily associate him with numerous iconic guitars: ES335 (cherry), SG (Fool), Strats (Blackie and Brownie)....the list goes on. At the time electric guitars were still in their infancy and music was changing rapidly in terms of style.

https://www.groundguitar.com/eric-clapton-gear/
You can't come on this thread with common sense like that. It flies in the face of Wallace's lame attempts to be a clivva shite.

Back