Post a pic of your axe

I honestly dont know. I have often faniced making one myself but dont know how viable it is for someone like me who has a minimal knowledge of setting up

I built one with a dirt cheap kit I bought in China (it was less than 50 quid) I really enjoyed it and it worked suprisingly well - neck and body were actually decent but the hardware was pretty crap.

Just started learning (December) ive a beat up old Arbiter 1970 that needs repairing, Im thinking of buying a new one but dont want to push the boat out yet. Opinions welcome on Epiphone Les Paul worth buying £140? Help appreciated.

Aye nowt wrong with epiphones as very decent starter kit.

I once owned a cherry red eepiphone ES335 which had a lovely wide flat fingerboard for my sausage fingers. I traded up to a Gibson Custom Shop 336 which is a beautiful axe but I still miss that fretboard.

Aye nowt wrong with epiphones as very decent starter kit.

I once owned a cherry red eepiphone ES335 which had a lovely wide flat fingerboard for my sausage fingers. I traded up to a Gibson Custom Shop 336 which is a beautiful axe but I still miss that fretboard.

Can usually get a canny variety on Gibbo neck like.

I'd stay away from that unless you absolutely must have "Epiphone" on the headstock. Back in the day if you wanted a cut price Les Paul then you had to make sacrifices like a bolt-on rather than set neck, dot rather than block fret markers, no binding on the body or neck, etc., etc.. Nowadays you can get much better instruments for the same money. If you can get over the name on the headstock then really do consider this: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...ctric-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Spalted-Maple/1HZZ or something similar. I'm sure there are others out there, but having seen a few of these in the flesh I have no hesitation recommending one. For the price the build quality and QC is unbelievable, miles better than the Chinese "no name" brands were churning out even just a few years ago. Oh and don't forget that you'll need an amp if you haven't already got one

Ahhh, I assumed you meant a second hand Standard.

Something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-...658876?hash=item3ad7dc8dfc:g:X50AAOSwNnRYfzev
Whats the difference?

I'd stay away from that unless you absolutely must have "Epiphone" on the headstock. Back in the day if you wanted a cut price Les Paul then you had to make sacrifices like a bolt-on rather than set neck, dot rather than block fret markers, no binding on the body or neck, etc., etc.. Nowadays you can get much better instruments for the same money. If you can get over the name on the headstock then really do consider this: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...ctric-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Spalted-Maple/1HZZ or something similar. I'm sure there are others out there, but having seen a few of these in the flesh I have no hesitation recommending one. For the price the build quality and QC is unbelievable, miles better than the Chinese "no name" brands were churning out even just a few years ago. Oh and don't forget that you'll need an amp if you haven't already got one
I dont mind what its got on mate was just assuming Epiphone is connected to Gibson but cheaper? I didnt want to splash out on a top brand just to lean on but somebody told me its best to learn on something you like the look of? I like the Les Paul but as i say spending £500/£600 on a guitar to start with is pushing it (hard to justify to the missus too)

Whats the difference?

I dont mind what its got on mate was just assuming Epiphone is connected to Gibson but cheaper? I didnt want to splash out on a top brand just to lean on but somebody told me its best to learn on something you like the look of? I like the Les Paul but as i say spending £500/£600 on a guitar to start with is pushing it (hard to justify to the missus too)
PS that looks great why is that better than the Epiphone one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back