Portsmouth fans today

Come off it.
Why this big club bollocks with great fans etc.
Sunderland and Portsmouth both have cracking support home and away so why this constant battle?
Just look at the facts in the attendances of both clubs and the amount of support you get home and away. Both respective clubs have hit tough times but both average crowds are constant with good numbers.

It’s all relative and every club has its loyal hardcore. For someone who travels I respect both clubs and can only imagine what it is like to play in front of crowds like that week in and week out.

Saw your late equaliser at Exeter on Quest and thought SOT and his lads will be happy.
didn't plymouth fetch about 4000 up a few years back for a night game?

It wasn't 4k but it was brilliant support for a far distant night match. And our stewards made them take their GONADS banner down:)

Last edited:

Saw your late equaliser at Exeter on Quest and thought SOT and his lads will be happy.

It wasn't 4k but it was brilliant support for a far distant night match. And our stewards made them take their GONADS banner down:)

Cheers mate.
Cracking day on the train and a point thoroughly deserved.
Should have had a pen first half, hit post and had a goal disallowed.
Was thinking it was going to be one of those days when we equalised and nearly snatched a late winner.
Still need 3 in but this team look good enough to challenge.

The Somerset and Wiltshire Countryside absolutely stunning.

I keep seeing people posting that we were abject, hopeless, shocking etc.

So, how did Portsmouth only manage 1 on target effort and a series of aimless crosses in 90 minutes?

I think people are exaggerating tbh.

Portsmouth had a decent spell followed by us having a decent spell .... that happened again in the second half.
Portsmouth were the better team for the first 20 minutes.
They passed the ball around well, and looked sharper in their build up play.
We woke up, midway through the first half, and grabbed two goals, to lead 2-1 at half time.
We mainly controlled the majority, of the second half, and Charlie Wyke played his part, bullying their centre backs, and holding the ball up well, and bringing colleagues into play.
Pompey had a late spell of pressure, for the last ten minutes or so, but never looked threatening in attack.
McLaughlin's diving save, to keep out a goalward bound header from Leadbitter, was one of the rare occasions, our keeper had to make a save during the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come off it.
Why this big club bollocks with great fans etc.
Sunderland and Portsmouth both have cracking support home and away so why this constant battle?
Just look at the facts in the attendances of both clubs and the amount of support you get home and away. Both respective clubs have hit tough times but both average crowds are constant with good numbers.

It’s all relative and every club has its loyal hardcore. For someone who travels I respect both clubs and can only imagine what it is like to play in front of crowds like that week in and week out.

Honestly?

I think Portsmouth got used to being the big fish in the small ponds and didn’t like a bigger one turning up.

Honestly?

I think Portsmouth got used to being the big fish in the small ponds and didn’t like a bigger one turning up.

There's some strange illogical people get on here, claiming we're giving it the big bollocks about our support :rolleyes:

Are we going onto other clubs forums shouting the odds or are they choosing to come on here?

This is a forum for Sunderland supporters to discuss Sunderland topics, if people don't like it there's Mumsnet, etc ...
... perhaps they even have a forum of their own.

I'll guarantee there'll be some talking about who's going to Rochdale, quick someone call the police and report an expected thread.

Last edited:
but they might never see a 29k home support in their lives. They certainly won't experience 47k.
Now ... I’m just saying this to help you out but in 1949 we had a club record attendance of 51,385 at Fratton park. I’m not saying it to suggest we are bigger than you. But merely because you said the above statement.

Me neither. Then you have gimps in the media like Lineker having a go at our fans whilst conveniently forgetting why we might have felt aggrieved and frustrated.

The numbers and loyalty after suffering a double relegation and then failing to get promoted have been nothing short of amazing.

This - it’s very difficult to think of many other clubs that could get what we get having endured what we have endured

This - it’s very difficult to think of many other clubs that could get what we get having endured what we have endured
I think a big thing here though Is there are too many clubs enduring it and the real argument should be , why are the powers that be even allowing it to happen. Where’s the protection for clubs especially the likes of Bury’s where they wouldn’t have the fan power to buy it themselves

Now ... I’m just saying this to help you out but in 1949 we had a club record attendance of 51,385 at Fratton park. I’m not saying it to suggest we are bigger than you. But merely because you said the above statement.

A statement you obviously didn't understand ...
... I doubt any of you saw that attendance and you may never see one in the future.

I've seen some fabulous images of the new stadium but no sign of any foundations.

Fratton Park is an absolute shambles and wouldn't be allowed in the PL these days.

but they might never see a 29k home support in their lives.

Last edited:
A statement you obviously didn't understand ...
... I doubt any of you saw that attendance and you may never see one in the future.

I've seen some fabulous images of the new stadium but no sign of any foundations.

but they might never see a 29k home support in their lives.
Agreed but as previously quoted ... they certainly won’t experience 47k... I can categorically tell you that we have got supporters who have infact experienced it. I am just helping you out so next time you don’t need to get it wrong is all :)

Were you there to see it? Will it happen again in your lifetime? Which is sort of the points you’ve missed. By a mile. Like your new striker did on Saturday.

Agreed but as previously quoted ... they certainly won’t experience 47k... I can categorically tell you that we have got supporters who have infact experienced it. I am just helping you out so next time you don’t need to get it wrong is all :)

@gipetto was talking about the future, not the past.

We all know Portsmouth used to be well supported when the docks were heaving with me, many from the NE as it happens.

Wartimes have probably Portsmouth heydays tbh.

Were you there to see it? Will it happen again in your lifetime? Which is sort of the points you’ve missed. By a mile. Like your new striker did on Saturday.
No I haven’t missed any points .. the statement reads .. ‘they will certainly never experience 47k’. And I’m simply telling you that Portsmouth supporters have experienced. For example my grandad was there and he still goes today .. it’s one of his earliest memories from Fratton park

Back