Portsmouth fans today

We didn’t really want to leave Roker park, but it had to be done.nigh on broke my heart walking away from that ground knowing I’d never go back there.
Do you think you’ll get a new ground in the foreseeable future? And if so , whereabouts in the city?

The new-ground-elsewhere ship sailed a long time ago. They're stuck at FP and what they can manage to squeeze on that footprint, which ain't gonna be particularly pretty. Their owners also bang a few drums about rebuilding but despite being extremely wealthy don't seem to be in too much of rush to chuck much money at the crumbling FP unless they're legally obliged to.

The new-ground-elsewhere ship sailed a long time ago. They're stuck at FP and what they can manage to squeeze on that footprint, which ain't gonna be particularly pretty. Their owners also bang a few drums about rebuilding but despite being extremely wealthy don't seem to be in too much of rush to chuck much money at the crumbling FP unless they're legally obliged to.
So they’re there for the foreseeable then. Just seems a bit odd that if they are ambitious there’s going to come a time when launching money at a decrepit stadium to keep it functioning makes less sense than biting the bullet and investing in a new one. All depends on the success of the team and how much it’s costing to keep FP open I guess.

The problem, from what I've heard, isn't so much money as the huge amount of building work needed and the impact on capacity while it happens.

The problem, from what I've heard, isn't so much money as the huge amount of building work needed and the impact on capacity while it happens.

The two are linked though, more so when a large percentage of your income is generated through the turnstiles when you're in L1.

Imho the most practical thing would be to play a season away from FP but I think the chances of Pompey playing at St Mary's is thinner than a Rizla paper, and next two nearest are about a 80-100 mile round trip.

The owners are a bit parsimonious though. They've moved one of the redundant floodlight pylons to the car park behind the North Stand for "historical reasons" cos they were "iconic". A lot of their fans reckon its to do with keeping one and the income it generates by having phone masts on top etc. It looks f***ing stupid either way.
So they’re there for the foreseeable then. Just seems a bit odd that if they are ambitious there’s going to come a time when launching money at a decrepit stadium to keep it functioning makes less sense than biting the bullet and investing in a new one. All depends on the success of the team and how much it’s costing to keep FP open I guess.

Not really anywhere left to build in the city boundaries now. Can't see either of the two neighbouring boroughs keen on having a 35k capacity stadium, especially one that (a) doesn't even have their name and (b) would need a lot of infrastructure built to support it for summat that will only be used 25 days a year at most. And Havant already have a fairly well established team of their own (Fareham Town are pretty shite tbf).

I don't honestly believe the Eisners knew how chronic the the ground situation was when they bought the club.

Last edited:
An open secret that houses around Fratton Park are being bought by the club. A new stadium won't happen, no locations with viable transport left so that ship has sailed. It will have to be a slowly, slowly piecemeal approach, starting with the away stand, then a new main stand and floodlight in the car park that Paddy mentions will form part of a new North Stand in time. Looks crap currently.

A few ITKers have said plans for the new away end were ready to be submitted this summer, but have been held up for some reason or another. Never easy doing anything on our crowded island. Paddy right about the owners underestimating it

Last edited:

Back