Portsmouth (A) Tickets

I don't think so. We'll be the underdogs regardless of league position, and we have a cracking atmosphere when we're the underdogs.

Disagree. The impetus will be on you as the home team.

We are obliged to give you 1950 tickets as per FL rules (10 percent of capacity). After you’ve sold your 1500th ticket, we can’t segregate the ME. You will therefore be given the whole thing providing you sell 1500.

The ME technically holds nigh on 3000 seats. The capacity in that end is down to about 2500 these days though because of health and safety. So one or two sections at either side are normally unavailable for sale when an away team gets the whole thing, again for health and safety reasons.

We will have fans that will want ME tickets but because of the absolute state that end is in, and the neglect it has suffered bar one roof put over it, they are 2nd in the queue. It’s an issue that badly needs sorting and goes far beyond a top of the table clash with yourselves.

:lol:

Last edited:
Disagree. The impetus will be on you as the home team.
Think the onus will be on yourselves. You will come down as favourites considering the wages you are paying.

There’s a reason why you are odds on for promotion. We know that. We are looking forward to what will be a tough test for us.

Only just spotted the original reply! No secrets to be had tbf, we'll know all about you and vice versa.

Think Chave has probably named what most fans would consider to be our starting team at the moment.

MacGillivray from Shrewsbury has been an unbelievable signing in goal. He was their number 2 last year to Henderson who now is the Sheff Utd keeper on loan from Man Utd. I didn't mind Luke McGee last year who is our number 2 but he was a bit cross shy. MacGillivray is for me the best keeper we've had since James and Begovic. We've had a few 'okay to decent' keepers since then, and a couple of shitters, but this is the first one where I've thought he's the dogs bollocks since 2010.

Back 4 is class. Nathan Thompson at RB...if there is a bigger shit house in League 1, I've not seen him. Quality in the tackle as well, and gets forward surprisingly well. Him and Maguire have history dating back to Swindon v Oxford too apparently. Brown at LB is a character and is a proper left back. A few don't rate his delivery, but I'm not sure that's fair. He's getting forward much better as time goes on, and was one of his big strengths for Bristol Rovers. Been a massive part of the success this season.

Whatmough and Clarke at centre half are still babies at 22, but have 200 Pompey appearances between them near enough. Whatmough is solid, and strong in the air...maybe not quite as good on the ball as he was before his knee injuries and with the step up from L2 to L1, but someone you would always back in a tackle and challenge - he'd still walk into most defences in this league. Matt Clarke is a £5-6m centre half already, playing in League One. There are some good centre backs in this league, and I know I'm saying this through blue tinted specs, but even still he's the best of them by a long long way. Think of a left footed Harry Maguire. I genuinely think he would improve some of the bottom end teams in the PL, let alone the Championship.

Weakness in the back 4 is perhaps the coverage, and if there is one area of weakness in our defence it is what is behind them. Only really got Walkes (RB), Burgess (CB) and Haunstrup (LB), none of whom are particularly convincing for a top end job. Walkes is your modern RB, all about the physical game, but lacks a brain, Burgess is like a sort of budget version of David Luiz in that he looks excellent, but then will cost one big chance a game, and Haunstrup is improving, but still a baby in terms of experience if not age at 22.

Midfield...that's probably in technical terms our most obvious weakness, but one of the big differences to last year is that it is one powerful thing. Tom Naylor (CDM) has been an excellent signing. With the exception of a poor first day of the season where Luton got the better of us in there (we still won 1-0), there's not been a game that he's played where we've not out-attritioned the opposition, and he's been a huge part of that. Already been through his 5 bookings barrier for the season. Ben Thompson on loan from Millwall adds dynamism, and has become a fans favourite particularly at FP, whereas Ben Close can offer us some control but seems better suited to the away games. Not sure KJ sides have ever been the most technically gifted in midfield, so I'm gradually coming round to the idea it's not a big concern if one or two passes go astray in there this year, but we will have to improve in there for the Championship.

Gareth Evans has converted himself from RW, to RB, to CM, to now a number 10 in our side. Lacks some technical quality but has that all important habit of scoring goals. 10 years from now, he'll be regarded as one of the club greats, even considering our time in the lower leagues. He's probably the next Linvoy Primus for us in being somebody who keeps getting written off, and just improving his game each season. His energy is infectious and he's rightly a fans favourite.

Upfront...Curtis and Lowe wide. I've already said there won't be a pair of wingers who touch these two for output this season in way of goals and assists. Curtis oozes confidence and is a cocky little git, who we love and fans hate. Lowe is the better of the two for me though. His all round contribution is excellent, and reminds me of an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain kind of player. Consistently been ruining left backs for the last 18 months now.

Through the middle...Hawkins or Pitman. Hawkins gets more out of Curtis and Lowe and plays as a target man. He's found a bit of goalscoring form recently too, so he needs to keep that going. Pitman scored 25 last season, but this year has been reduced to a 10 minute sub in games. Some fans can't understand that, but plenty get why. Doesn't matter who scores the goals, as long as the team do. I think that for me is the biggest area we lack this year though. Someone with a bit of pace through the middle, which is why we chased so hard for Eisa.

Great thanks, I'm bricking it now !

Think the onus will be on yourselves. You will come down as favourites considering the wages you are paying.

There’s a reason why you are odds on for promotion. We know that. We are looking forward to what will be a tough test for us.
Rodwell was on 60k a week and is worse than any midfielder yous have. Wage bills don't win games, so very much disagree. It'll be a tough game for both, but with us away and if we are above you in league by then, a draw would be ok for us. Few games ahead still to say who the "onus' will be on. I get you trying to play it down saying we're favourites etc, but yous have been top of the league most the season for a reason, so doesn't wash with us.

Rodwell was on 60k a week and is worse than any midfielder yous have. Wage bills don't win games, so very much disagree. It'll be a tough game for both, but with us away and if we are above you in league by then, a draw would be ok for us. Few games ahead still to say who the "onus' will be on. I get you trying to play it down saying we're favourites etc, but yous have been top of the league most the season for a reason, so doesn't wash with us.
Don’t disagree with you at all. Saw Rodwell play for you. Shocking player who was hyped up on the back of a 20 min cameo and goal v Man Utd when at Everton as a kid.

I also do not think that we are favourites though for the reasons I’ve said. Wages tend to mean better players. It’s just a reality...Rodwell and Gibson have found themselves CH clubs at the end of the day, so despite my own opinion of them, Mowbray and Cook clearly see something there. All I’ll say is when two sets of fans are almost ‘hot potatoing’ the favourites tag onto the other, it normally means:

1) Mutual respect for the other team
2) A quiet confidence that they will win the game.

It will be a good game. We’ve both got very tough games before then.

You have Barnsley and Accrington whilst we have Charlton and Barnsley. Table could look very different by the 22nd Dec.

The wages we're paying? We also have by far the biggest overheads in the league, so it sort of evens itself out

You've only lost one game. Your fans will be expecting to win, you'll have to come at us and open up.

You've only lost one game. Your fans will be expecting to win, you'll have to come at us and open up.
We will be confident. Not expecting. You’ve only lost one game too, I’m not for one second having it that you are going to sit in and look for a draw. I don’t believe your manager operates that way.

This is the best we've performed in at least 7 seasons. There's a new generation of fans who have mainly seen us as a League 2 club. I really don't think any of our fans will be expecting a win, although we'll definitely be hoping for one.

Think it will be a 50/50 game personally. Few games to go before then, and form going into it could be important. We've sides give that extra 10% against us so far this season and a few games that has been enough to make life very difficult. Pompy are probably up there with us and Barnsley in terms of ability so if they give that extra push on the day then it'll be very very difficult. Personally would take a point and be happy with that at the moment

Back