Pork Dip

The dip of my childhood in the fifties was bought at a little shop opposite the Londonderry on High St. West, I think it was called Crawfords, but others can correct me. They only sold dips and mince pies. The lady in the shop was a bottle blonde with bright red lipstick ( she obviously made an impression, as I was just a bairn in short trousers with a snake belt). I would buy one of three dips depending on how much pocket money I had after buying my comics at Summersides across the road.
Bread bun dipped in the gravy cooking the saveloys was 3d (about 1 1/2 p)
Bread bun dipped as above with sage and onion stuffing and pease pudding was 6d (about 2 1/2p)
Bread bun dipped as above with sage and onion stuffing, pease pudding and a red saveloy was 9d (about 4p)
I can still taste them now.

What a time to be alive - sounds glorious.

I’d go option 3

Please can some explain exactly what a saveloy dip is and also what a pork dip is?

As an exile I don’t have access to pork dips locally.

Going to make one this weekend, what’s the suggested ingredients and what do you use for the dip?
Saveloys.
Bit of confusion on this thread. Some folk have gone down the saveloy cup-de-sac when this is about pork dips. Come on people, focus...
That's a dead end, mug.
Fuck off.
:lol:
I was just about to suggest that to the f***ing savage.
The register is updated
There's some f***ing right dipdivvies outed themselves on here mind. It'll be pineapple barms and cattle bucking next.
I am shocked, truly shocked, to see the variations on a theme for a pork dip. Each to their own of course but I could never allow brown sauce, apple sauce, horseradish, mustard or gravy to be placed within the substance of the dip. I enjoyed Harry Hillam's pork dips from Dawdon and Coopers in Church Street Seaham. They were magnificent. They did not have mustard, brown sauce etc but what they did have was pork, crackling, pease pudding, stuffing and the bun was dipped in the goodness from the pork being kept hot on the cooker top - 2 bob and then 10p each. Luxury.
No mustard? Bloody hell, what does your husband think about this atrocity?
If you were making one at home would you dip it in gravy due to lack of meat juices?
Impossible without the correct training and meat manipulation skills.
The mustard argument comes up fairly often, it’s a no for me
It's not an argument. It's like gravity, fact.
Please can some explain exactly what a saveloy dip is and also what a pork dip is?
:eek:

😆

Last edited:
Saveloys.
That's a dead end, mug.

:lol:
I was just about to suggest that to the f***ing savage.

There's some f***ing right dipdivvies outed themselves on here mind. It'll be pineapple barms and cattle bucking next.

No mustard? Bloody hell, what does your husband think about this atrocity?
Impossible without the correct training and meat manipulation skills.

It's not an argument. It's like gravity, fact.

:eek:

😆
Have you just been unleashed on this thread after building up your dander?

Pork or saveloy in stottie or large white bap, usually with pease pudding and stuffing and the top of the sandwich is dipped in either gravy or meat juices. You can argue about mustard if you want :lol:

Pork or saveloy in stottie or large white bap, usually with pease pudding and stuffing and the top of the sandwich is dipped in either gravy or meat juices. You can argue about mustard if you want :lol:
Thank you, both sound lush, want one! Although do you get covered in gravy eating it?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back