Pork Dip

I am shocked, truly shocked, to see the variations on a theme for a pork dip. Each to their own of course but I could never allow brown sauce, apple sauce, horseradish, mustard or gravy to be placed within the substance of the dip. I enjoyed Harry Hillam's pork dips from Dawdon and Coopers in Church Street Seaham. They were magnificent. They did not have mustard, brown sauce etc but what they did have was pork, crackling, pease pudding, stuffing and the bun was dipped in the goodness from the pork being kept hot on the cooker top - 2 bob and then 10p each. Luxury.

Last edited:
Thin slice of pork. Baps dipped in gravy. Stuffing and pease pudding.
Theres a shop called greggs on forebondgate in bishop that basically sells not much else other than pork dips. Think its all people go in for. Lurvely

Nee mustard on a saveloy dip mind, just the saveloy, pease pudding, stuffing and of course the top dipped. 😎
you are letting a lot of people down mind - mustard is an essential.
Spot on.
Gravy and mustard....yukk
you arent from Sunderland are you? Yukk ?!?!? FFS
I’m sure back in the 80’s, Stans angels from fulwell pork stores used to dip the buns in whatever they were boiling the savaloys in. Sounds rank but they were f***ing epic.

gaylord

gaylord
all correct- However, i saw Stan filling the aformentioned saveloy boiler with saveloys from Dicksons. Suppose he buys them wholesale from them.

Last edited:
The dip of my childhood in the fifties was bought at a little shop opposite the Londonderry on High St. West, I think it was called Crawfords, but others can correct me. They only sold dips and mince pies. The lady in the shop was a bottle blonde with bright red lipstick ( she obviously made an impression, as I was just a bairn in short trousers with a snake belt). I would buy one of three dips depending on how much pocket money I had after buying my comics at Summersides across the road.
Bread bun dipped in the gravy cooking the saveloys was 3d (about 1 1/2 p)
Bread bun dipped as above with sage and onion stuffing and pease pudding was 6d (about 2 1/2p)
Bread bun dipped as above with sage and onion stuffing, pease pudding and a red saveloy was 9d (about 4p)
I can still taste them now.

Back