Porage/porridge

Recently started having this old-fashioned breakfast as it's apparently got loads of health benefits. Have just been using Quaker Oat-So-Easy and it's nice with honey in or golden syrup, but over the weekend I picked up a box of Scott's Porage Oats which I remember from my childhood.

What a difference! The Scott's porage is lightly kilned and so in addition to being larger oats it has a slightly toasty/malty flavour that is far superior to the Quaker porridge oats. It makes me think that the Quaker stuff is actually for kids.

Anyone else start the day with a nice gloopy bowl of porage? Do you add salt, sugar, honey, golden syrup or what? Please, no comments about Ghost Chiles! ;)

Everyday slight bit of honey (little spoon sugar if nee honey indoors)
Oh and me dog loves it! (Apparently good for dogs and in most dog food anyhow)

Recently started having this old-fashioned breakfast as it's apparently got loads of health benefits. Have just been using Quaker Oat-So-Easy and it's nice with honey in or golden syrup, but over the weekend I picked up a box of Scott's Porage Oats which I remember from my childhood.

What a difference! The Scott's porage is lightly kilned and so in addition to being larger oats it has a slightly toasty/malty flavour that is far superior to the Quaker porridge oats. It makes me think that the Quaker stuff is actually for kids.

Anyone else start the day with a nice gloopy bowl of porage? Do you add salt, sugar, honey, golden syrup or what? Please, no comments about Ghost Chiles! ;)
Aye, have it a few times a week. Can get it in the work canteen for nowt but I'm not keen on it, maybe because it's proper porridge :lol: So I've got some Quaker oat-so-easy packets in my desk, just the original and then sprinkle a bit of sugar on.
Either way the bastard takes too long to cool down especially when you're starving.

I think you'll find a Scotch bonnet or two is quite enough heat for adding to a breakfast ;)

the sainsburys taste the difference oats are good. Always seems to take more cooking than stated though. Season with a tiny bit of salt. Honey, nutella, frozen berries - all good

Both Scott's and Quaker sell 'proper' porridge oats or rolled oats as they are also known. Not only do they taste better but they are also better for you than the quick cook sachets and the like which are also far more expensive. Better still just get a supermarket's own brand porridge oats which are probably indistinguishable from the branded versions.

I put all sorts on mine depending on mood: peanut butter, Nutella, jam, dried fruit, marmalade, maple syrup, cinnamon and sometimes a combination. For extra creaminess a drop of cream alongside the milk when making it, or added after.

Last edited:

Is Adrian dead? :eek:

;)

Cannit whack the stuff tbh and so easy in the Sachets. I like the Golden syrup ones but add extra cinamonn, chopped dried dates, dried bananas, Cranberries, honey and stuff.
Clever @Scimmy obviously spotted the Boxes on offer at mozzas last week £2 for 20:lol::cool:
Asda whitworths dried fruits as above 3 packets for £3 or summat like £1.40 each:D
Tbh I have as much for an easy lunch as brekkie when at home. As you say a very healthy choice anarl!

Cannit whack the stuff tbh and so easy in the Sachets. I like the Golden syrup ones but add extra cinamonn, chopped dried dates, dried bananas, Cranberries, honey and stuff.
Clever @Scimmy obviously spotted the Boxes on offer at mozzas last week £2 for 20:lol::cool:
Asda whitworths dried fruits as above 3 packets for £3 or summat like £1.40 each:D
Tbh I have as much for an easy lunch as brekkie when at home. As you say a very healthy choice anarl!
Personally I wouldn't use the sachets unless I had no choice. Apart from the cost/health/taste benefits, it's not hard to cook normal porridge in the microwave once you've got your routine sorted. I put half a cup of oats in a bowl, add nearly a full cup of milk, stick in microwave 2 mins, stir, another 2 mins, then it's done (maybe a touch longer for some kinds of oats which take longer to cook). You can even soak in the milk overnight in the fridge which softens it further too and helps flavours develop.

Love porridge me, and great if you're trying to keep a lid on weight with all the slow release carbs (esp if you avoid the quick cook variety).

I didn't know he died!

Personally I wouldn't use the sachets unless I had no choice. Apart from the cost/health/taste benefits, it's not hard to cook normal porridge in the microwave once you've got your routine sorted. I put half a cup of oats in a bowl, add nearly a full cup of milk, stick in microwave 2 mins, stir, another 2 mins, then it's done (maybe a touch longer for some kinds of oats which take longer to cook). You can even soak in the milk overnight in the fridge which softens it further too and helps flavours develop.

Love porridge me, and great if you're trying to keep a lid on weight with all the slow release carbs (esp if you avoid the quick cook variety).
guess it's laziness or portion control on my part or the missus. Tend to have it more often in a spell of poor weather and dont like having part opened boxes lying about. Maybe give a box a go at the beginning of next winter. They do have the ratios for oats and milk on the box above 1 oats to 2 milk?
Do see plenty of those overnight oats recipes about so I presume you just used the porridge for those? I guess a box emptied into a sealed container might be the way forward next year as stocked up with Sachets on offer:lol:

No Marra, I spotted the Scott's Porage Oats! I wanted to get away from the Quaker kids' porridge onto the proper stuff! But yes, it was £2 for a 1kg box.

What a difference! The Scott's porage is lightly kilned and so in addition to being larger oats it has a slightly toasty/malty flavour that is far superior to the Quaker porridge oats.
gonna try this out... i just get the bog standard tesco scottish rolled oats, which are the nicest ones i've found... nice with a shake of cinnamon.

Back