Pontins - scratters delight?

Used to goto the one at Blackpool every year growing up. Long gone now I believe, used to love it as a bairn. Since becoming an adult I’ve alwaus gone abroad and since becoming a parent I’ve always gone abroad.

I went to Butlins a couple of times when I was 8 or 9 ish. So 1964 ish.

Which means I was Iieing on the other holiday thread when I said I’d never been on an all inclusive holiday. :)

I wouldn’t be seen dead in one of those places now but I suppose they’re good for families. Must have been why my parents took four kids to Butlins.

We were dedicated Butlins goers throughout the 70s and 80s (never went abroad) and looked down on Pontins as the low rent version. We always had a great time and all the activities were free. We joined in the footy school every day, leaving the parents free to relax while we got coached off the likes of Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Colin Todd and erm Barry Bennell.
Nowadays, in true rip off Britain style, it’s more expensive than going abroad and you have to pay extra for half of the stuff.

I went to Butlins a couple of times when I was 8 or 9 ish. So 1964 ish.

Which means I was Iieing on the other holiday thread when I said I’d never been on an all inclusive holiday. :)

I wouldn’t be seen dead in one of those places now but I suppose they’re good for families. Must have been why my parents took four kids to Butlins.

Butlins were never all inclusive man. Half the holiday makers would have gone home in a coffin.

Butlins Pontins and the like always seem quite pricey whenever ive looked.

its almost always the same or cheaper to go abroad

I've been to the one in Southport many times. It's fairly shabby. Although, I haven't been there for about 8 or 9 years, so it may have gotten a makeover.

We went there around the same time and the accommodation was the worst ive ever experienced by some quite distance (and ive stayed in some shithole B&B's in Blackpool). Mould all over, stains on bed sheets, broken window. And what was even more unbelievable that in this day & age, that electricity & bed sheets dont come as standard. I reckon i'd get better staying in a 3rd world country.

It was sold onto Britannia hotels a few years so might have had a bit of modernisation since.

We went to Pontins at Brixham in Devon 50 years ago when I was 8.
From what I remember it was canny, little chalets and git big dining hall where everyone sat at long tables.
Juke box in a café type place had all the hits on.

I dare say that me mam & dad enjoyed it, as my youngest sister was born 9 months later!:eek:
Me mam swore down she would never go back to Pontins after that!!:lol::lol:

We went there around the same time and the accommodation was the worst ive ever experienced by some quite distance (and ive stayed in some shithole B&B's in Blackpool). Mould all over, stains on bed sheets, broken window. And what was even more unbelievable that in this day & age, that electricity & bed sheets dont come as standard. I reckon i'd get better staying in a 3rd world country.

It was sold onto Britannia hotels a few years so might have had a bit of modernisation since.

Well, I was never there on holidays really. I used to go there a couple of times a year for a music festival, so we only used the accommodation as a place to get a couple of hours kip before we were straight back out again. The grim chalets were part of the charm. Some fantastic memories from there.

Well, I was never there on holidays really. I used to go there a couple of times a year for a music festival, so we only used the accommodation as a place to get a couple of hours kip before we were straight back out again. The grim chalets were part of the charm. Some fantastic memories from there.

Ours was a few days with the lads

We have just booked up to go to the Butlins Blues/Rock weekender next January. Got discount for early booking, gold apartment with upgraded dining for £600.

Camber sands- he’ll on earth, saw two punch ups while driving about to find our room. Some cracking talent at the karaoke though. Full of single mothers and grandmothers. Didn’t see one wad the entire time (including my mrs(no))

I stayed at a few back in the early 70s when they were still fairly new.
A pleasant civilised experience back then, nee Scratters or pissheads that I can recall,
though I can well imagine they’ve gone to the dogs by now.

Back