Pontins - scratters delight?

Anyone ever been to a pontins site before? I’ve never been but I always thought they were on a par with butlins etc. A bit naff but very family geared and a bit cheaper than center parcs with the added bonus of entertainment for the kids.

The reviews suggest otherwise!

Sure I went to the one that used to be Butlin's Filey about ten years ago. Its all caravans now, I went as a kid about 1980 and it was chalets then. Might be known as Blue Dolphin these days. Class in the caravans, as long as the weather is good. Kids can just fart about playing outside, get your barbie on, few cold uns, spot of sunbathing. On the night head over to the clubhouse, meet up with fellow scratters and enjoy the entertainment.
Has a good size indoor pool iirc, sure we got them as one of those £10 Sun holidays which end up costing you about £300 once all the hidden extras are added

Went to camber sands about 20 years ago for a laugh at Christmas. It was chaos. Pikeys, scraps, drugs were the order of the day. To make it worse the weather was shite and we came back with flu and couldn't turn out for new year.

We looked at the one in Southport
I went there in 1972 when I was 10. Nice big beaches there I seem to recall. Southport were in the football league then I think.

Sounds delightful.
It was. Coke being openly used. They had a blue comedian on late one night. He couldn't do his act owing to the number of very young kids still there. All being allowed to sit and watch at the front by their parents. Some class brawls mind.

Last edited:
I used to go as a bairn in the 70's, we went at least 4 times.

Pakefield near Great Yarmouth (very young I can't remember) Southport, Brean Sands in the West Country and Prestatyn. A quick look on the website and all 4 are still open.

About 10 years ago I was working in Western Super Mare so I drove past Brean Sands, it looked canny for the outside. I also drove past Prestatyn when I was working in Rhyl, it looked like a prison camp :)

I also worked inside Butlins Bognor Regis for a couple of days 11 years ago. It was fairly up market compared to the Pontins I remembered and I stopped in a chalet for a night.

I enjoyed our holidays there, cheap and cheerful and a load to do. We all entered the competitions and had a laugh. These days it's probably as cheap or cheaper to go abroad and you are guaranteed better weather.

Went to Middleton Towers near Morecambe in the summer of 1993, turned 15 while I was there.

Had a great time, stayed in chalets, won the teen darts competition, loads of nice looking lassies knocking about, my cousin got chucked out of the arcade for shaking one of them 10p falls machines, got stuck in the middle of the boating pond as the water was only ankle deep, the crocodile song, star trekkin by the firm... good memories haha.

Just googled it and apparently it was the biggest Pontins but then went on to close at the end of 1993, 5 months after I was there :eek:

Last edited:
We would go to Butlins Filey the 1st week of shipyard fortnight, really enjoyed it. 1974 last time i was there, just had a look at some photo's online brought back some good memories, especially this. :oops::lol:

Butlins was always better than Pontins.

I used to go as a bairn in the 70's, we went at least 4 times.

Pakefield near Great Yarmouth (very young I can't remember) Southport, Brean Sands in the West Country and Prestatyn. A quick look on the website and all 4 are still open.

About 10 years ago I was working in Western Super Mare so I drove past Brean Sands, it looked canny for the outside. I also drove past Prestatyn when I was working in Rhyl, it looked like a prison camp :)

I also worked inside Butlins Bognor Regis for a couple of days 11 years ago. It was fairly up market compared to the Pontins I remembered and I stopped in a chalet for a night.

I enjoyed our holidays there, cheap and cheerful and a load to do. We all entered the competitions and had a laugh. These days it's probably as cheap or cheaper to go abroad and you are guaranteed better weather.

9 days in a eurocamp chalet in holland cost us a few hundred quid less than the quote we got for 5 days in butlins.

Back