Pompey up next - fond memories

I can literally throw a stone against side of jolly sailor from my lounge. Not a cosy pub. Bit of a touristy pub. Remember mucky duck. Lived near the festing. Good city for random pubs

I’ve got an apartment in Old Portsmouth now. Used to live on Elm Grove and then had a pad in Gunwharf. I got lashed up in Gunwharf on Wednesday at a works do and got the last train to my Mrs and kids in Smogland...had to carry a coffin the next day. She wasn’t impressed

Love Pompey marra, been going down there since I was a baby in arms, uncle ex Navy. Married a Pompey girl....didn't last long! Lived in Buckland, Cosham and North End. Local used to be The Clarence and Thatched House. Clarence was a f***ing great boozer but some reet dodgy lads used to get in there, same lot that used to drink in the Mother Shipton
lived in Cosham when I first went down there. Remember the Railway pub not much else

That’s right , corner flag was a couple of yards too the box, changing rooms were a barn
must've been 12 pitches there - crammed in next to each other

Last edited:
Played at Great Salterns for my University side, there were 1, possibly 2 full sized pitches, the rest were suited to midget football. Fond memories of the Sailing Centre where the temperature never felt higher than -10 and it always blew an absolute gale.
ever play up at Paulsgrove? flippin rough up there

Jolly Sailor, another great pub. Used to be another one, about 200 yards from there, heading east. Massive boozer, right opposite the common. Pretty sure its not there now (may be flats) but cannot remember its name. You remember the Horseshoe, Festing and in the city, Mighty Fine, Park Tavern, Mucky Duck and many more
Used to live in Pompey, Telephone Road. Lovely house, moved to Kent now. One of the best pubs in Pompey was the Pickwick, so many shady characters in there! Also loved the Fawcett Inn, many a good band on and some ok beer. Last time I was in Pompey it had all become overpriced and somewhat gentrified near Albert road, lost a lot of the charm that made me reminisce about being back home.

Everyone welcome up the Pompey PO club next week anyway. Ran by a MLF, food put on by myself and a free jukebox. Open officially from 11 but if you ring the buzzer at 10 we won't turn you away.

Back