Poll: so should it have been a penalty?

Was it a penalty

• Yes

Votes: 205 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 344 62.7%

• Total voters

That would be because him arm is moving, I don't know if it was deliberate our not, but the explanation you have just wrote out is so wrong, of my son who is 5 shoots the ball at my hand/arm accidentally and it his it never goes backwards
Can your 5 years old son boot the ball 30 yards,and if he can,try it again,with your left hand limp.The pace of the ball,with your hand limp,would knock your hand backwards,resulting in the ball going beyond you.

Surely it comes from the movement of the hand towards the ball rule below rather than the position of the hand rule? If the arm follow a natural movement (depending on what the player is doing ) when the ball hits the hand then surely you'd simply say the hand/arm will be in a natural position rather than moving towards the ball on purpose.

Persic was bringing his arm down and it's debatable how to interpret this movement of the hand towards the ball. However I take most of what I've said back as I think he was expecting Matuidi to flick the header down towards the goal and Perisic made an attempt to block it on purpose. As you can see in the gif below he brings his left leg right up very high hanging and this certainly isn't what you'd expect given his initial jump. So now I could possibly agree there was intention there as he certainly tries to block it with his leg and therefore also knows he will be blocking it with his arm by bringing his arm and leg together in the way he did.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this about his leg movement, certainly not on TV but could this be what VAR also saw? This gif angle is also the replay that was showing for the ref's screen 5 times just before he walked away and then back again to watch it again while talking to VAR. If you watch it faster then it looks even more obvious as to how he was trying to attempt a block in that area.

Logon or register to see this image
he doesn't straighten his left arm,which looks a natural movement.He straightens his right arm to make contact with ball .Clear pen.

Can your 5 years old son boot the ball 30 yards,and if he can,try it again,with your left hand limp.The pace of the ball,with your hand limp,would knock your hand backwards,resulting in the ball going beyond you.

Can your 5 years old son boot the ball 30 yards,and if he can,try it again,with your left hand limp.The pace of the ball,with your hand limp,would knock your hand backwards,resulting in the ball going beyond yo

Last edited:
Intention not clear.
If it doesn't hit hand there is a croation player just behind.
Not goal chance.
Award a penalty in such a game has to be when a blatant goal chance is averted.

he doesn't straighten his left arm,which looks a natural movement.He straightens his right arm to make contact with ball .Clear pen.

Going to be like fanstasy football league recreation I will give it a go

So you don't think it was deliberate, you know the rule states that it must be deliberate, yet you think it was a penalty?
In reality only the player knows what is deliberate and what is accidental. Shite wording of the law. I'm sure that's what @Slow joe was hinting at...and what I meant when earlier I used the phrase "imputing motivation".

VAR struggled with the handballs, I think it’s a massive gray area. And I understood deliberate handball was a yellow card, so does that not mean every handball is a yellow?

Two penalties had been awarded for what seemed ball to hand in previous games. By going to VAR the referee had to award a penalty. As you say, a grey area, one that VAR was supposed to resolve. It has only muddied the waters.

Was it a penalty? Harsh, no team would like to concede a penalty for a ball to hand.

So its 62-38 in favour of no pen after a few hundred votes, can we say that VAR and the ref helped screw the final up yet? our is VAR still not to blame and just the ref?

How can VAR be blamed?... it’s basically just a slow mo video replay?...

The ref is to blame... solely his decision at the end of the day

That said I do think it’s a freekick anywhere else on the park...

To give a penalty for handball, the player must have intentionally handled the ball.

Some people on here have given their opinion that in their view it wasn't deliberate, but they still believe a penalty was correct.

In other words, "He didn't mean it, but that's a penalty".

Once you know the rule, how can you justify coming to this conclusion? Can you see how it defies logic?

The bloke either meant to handle the ball or he didn't. Only he knows for certain, but the rest of us (including the ref) can make our minds up. Saying he didn't mean it, but then in the same breath saying it's a penalty, is just nonsense.

We all make judgments about players' intentions all the time. Did he mean that as a shot, or did he mean to cross the ball and it ended up in the goal? Was that elbow in the face deliberate, or was it accidental? We make our minds up about these things all the time.

Back