Poll: so should it have been a penalty?

Was it a penalty

• Yes

Votes: 205 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 344 62.7%

• Total voters
50/50 shout and the pundits are just "look at me" wankers anyway, can't believe some people using them as some sort of proof lol.
The gifs on this thread make it look like he instinctively threw his arm, leg and hand towards the ball like.
Don't think he consciously thought "I stop this with my hand", but not the travesty many are making out imo.

Watch how his 2 hands go up together but then his left arm comes down faster and his hand then extends slightly open palmed. Now look at the way he also sticks out his left leg rather awkwardly while his head seems to follow the flight of the ball. He went for the block with both his hand and leg as a 'reflex' action in my opinion.

Logon or register to see this image

Penalty. All day long.

Look how quickly he brings his arm down to the ball man

Penalty. All day long.

Look how quickly he brings his arm down to the ball man
well explained to the clueless on here.One other observation.If it had been accidental,the speed at which the ball connected with his hand would have forced his hand back,resulting in the ball going beyond his hand.The ball actually drops down from his ' strong' hand.Clear pen.

well explained to the clueless on here.One other observation.If it had been accidental,the speed at which the ball connected with his hand would have forced his hand back,resulting in the ball going beyond his hand.The ball actually drops down from his ' strong' hand.Clear pen.
That would be because him arm is moving, I don't know if it was deliberate our not, but the explanation you have just wrote out is so wrong, of my son who is 5 shoots the ball at my hand/arm accidentally and it his it never goes backwards

So thats a no then!

His arm comes down faster as he's trying to kick out his leg - try it, its a natural movement when you try and raise your leg like that, from a high handed position.

But even then, the fact that we are having this discussion shows its not a penalty - the referee has to be SURE to give it.

Can we also talk about the first goal that was both not a free kick and offside (Pogba, standing in front of the keeper who then challenges for the header). Whats the point in VAR if they don't review things like that? There was shirt pulling for a penalty later not given or reviewed which is clear on the replay. The whole approach by FIFA is a joke as ever.

Heres the actual beak down of the laws of the game: it has to be deliberate. The "unnatural position" is a short-cut used by English refs to help them make decisions, its not the actual law.
I said the same at the time. The penalty was a total farce anarl, a shit decision by an inept referee. Croatia were very hard done by and I’m just glad it was them instead of England.

Nope. Joke decision.

I can see why people are divided on it, but it was in no way a joke decision, IMO. It comes down to probabilities, ie did the player intend it or not, which is more likely... The ref had to make a judgement, not everyone is going to agree.

VAR can’t get into a player’s head, so it’s left to the ref. It was a tough decision either way.

VAR is only supposed to be used to overturn the referee's decision if it is a clear error on his behalf. Since opinion is so vastly split then it wasn't clear enough to overturn.

In cricket when the appeal goes for review, if it is borderline then it stays with the umpire's decision - this should also apply in football. Also in both cricket and rugby the decision is made off the field, not by the umpire or referee who originally made the decision - this should also be the case in football. It is ridiculous to put the referee under pressure to review his own decision.

Watch how his 2 hands go up together but then his left arm comes down faster and his hand then extends slightly open palmed. Now look at the way he also sticks out his left leg rather awkwardly while his head seems to follow the flight of the ball. He went for the block with both his hand and leg as a 'reflex' action in my opinion.

Logon or register to see this image

I’m baffled how people can be so utterly convinced that it was ‘never a penalty’.
Maybe, maybe not. It could be accidental- but he definitely slaps the ball away. He lowers his arm towards the ball, yes - that happens when jumping, but he is watching the ball, rotates his palm towards it and slaps it away. That is not a natural movement. His arm suddenly accelerates when it’s obvious the French player was missing the header.
He smacks it nice and square on. I don’t see why the ref’s getting stick for this.

Back