RAWA Poll: Name The South Stand

New South Stand Name

• Total voters
Raich Carter for me, however, need the West Stand to be named Bob Murray as testament to who got us the stadium at the price in the first place. imo

I find it strange that we are going to end up naming a stand at a new ground after a stand at an old ground instead of honouring one of Sunderland's finest sons if not the finest. The Roker end was great but it should be left where it was. It never kicked a ball for us or won a tackle or scored a goal or won the League Title and FA Cup in consecutive years.

Sadly I think the numerous years that have past since Mr Carter was strutting his stuff at Roker Park, means not many of our fans realise just what a colossus he was for us. If only we had named the Roker End the Raich Carter End in the 50's then maybe we would end up with the right result here.
Most definitely this.

We are missing a huge opportunity to shine the media's light on a period of our history that many outside the club know nothing about. Calling the South Stand the Roker End is both geographically incorrect and a massive missed opportunity to promote the proud history of our club for once.

Every time they mention the Raich Carter end they will then need to explain who he was an what he did for us. That can only be a good thing for us a brand if you look at things that way.

You can't vote for a man who has born in Sunderland and won both the league and the cup for us and was a massive celebrity in his day?

Why can't you vote for him exactly? Or did you just not check what he actually achieved like many others?

Raich is on that list because of all the players who have ever represented this great club, his achievements stand proud against pretty much everyone else. T

There is a very good reason they never put Quinny or Monty on the options as neither achieved anything near what Raich Carter did for Sunderland AFC. The daft thing is I thing if they had put Monty on he probably would have won. We concentrate far too much on 1973 which portrays our club as a plucky underdog. When Raich was strutting his stuff we were anything but. We were the big boys back in those days.
And this. Well said. The Roker End option makes no sense at all.

Back