POLL - Anonymous versus named competition entries

Competition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

• Both have their merits.

But perhaps as we've had a year or so of anonymous, maybe from January do a revamp* of the comp, with two months to enter but have the board the place where you enter so you can see entries being added over the two months ie have an "entries only" thread .

ideas for revamp:
  • perhaps allow three photos per month? though two is fine imo.
  • maybe have the six winning photos in an end of year vote
  • let entrants choose the photo they like best (of their own) be put forward to an end of year vote (this gives novices, new entrants, non professionals etc a chance to put a photo forward to end of year vote too).

• quite like the idea of the themes being decided earlier in the year
  • how about a couple of technique months? or theme and technique combined?

Could we look at including settings with the entries, like they do at proper photo exhibitions and that?

I always like learning how people have taken the photo, ISO, shutter speed, f, etc. For novices like me it's really useful.

Could we look at including settings with the entries, like they do at proper photo exhibitions and that?

I always like learning how people have taken the photo, ISO, shutter speed, f, etc. For novices like me it's really useful.
Not everyone records them, particularly if they just using a phone

I think if we revert to having the entries named so we can see who took them, then we can also ask people to post the EXIF data. That sounds like a good idea to me and will help with learning.

Aye, but software can pull that no issue.

I haven't got a clue how I shoot (and not really too fussed either) but you can get the data no issue.
I think it'll just put people off, has to be optional

FWIW, I liked the "Entries only" thread format, though I understand it may have made some a little nervous about posting for the first time, and I do think the comp has become somewhat elitist - or viewed that way by the rest of the board. So I'd prefer to keep the shots anonymous. I don''t see a need for a small cap on the number of entries by a single poster. Perhaps up to five would be better.

I find posting EXIF data useful, and would like it to be included, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

When we started this, the winner of the annual competition (polled from the monthly winners) got to spend a day with some professional photographer bloke. Perhaps if anyone can remember his name and contact details then he may be willing to do that again. For anyone just getting into photography this could be a big deal.

Just an idea, but how about a "my favorite shot" thread every month on the main photo board, open to all, no competition, but inviting comments and critique (or specifically asking not to be critiqued) - each poster posting as many shots as they want, with no theme. We could sticky the thread and put a note on the main board the "day in the life" goes down very well, I suspect that we may get more interest in the board, and therefore the competition, if we had something along those lines. Many posters don't even know the board exists.

As far as post processing goes, it's all part of the photographic process so shouldn't be an issue. If someone wants to add a rubber duck or even worse, HDR, then that should be allowed. The number of votes the shot gets will reflect on how much voters like this.

One final thought, maybe voters don't actually understand what they're voting for so we could impose a judging panel on the shots.

FWIW, I liked the "Entries only" thread format, though I understand it may have made some a little nervous about posting for the first time, and I do think the comp has become somewhat elitist - or viewed that way by the rest of the board. So I'd prefer to keep the shots anonymous. I don''t see a need for a small cap on the number of entries by a single poster. Perhaps up to five would be better.

I find posting EXIF data useful, and would like it to be included, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

When we started this, the winner of the annual competition (polled from the monthly winners) got to spend a day with some professional photographer bloke. Perhaps if anyone can remember his name and contact details then he may be willing to do that again. For anyone just getting into photography this could be a big deal.

Just an idea, but how about a "my favorite shot" thread every month on the main photo board, open to all, no competition, but inviting comments and critique (or specifically asking not to be critiqued) - each poster posting as many shots as they want, with no theme. We could sticky the thread and put a note on the main board the "day in the life" goes down very well, I suspect that we may get more interest in the board, and therefore the competition, if we had something along those lines. Many posters don't even know the board exists.

As far as post processing goes, it's all part of the photographic process so shouldn't be an issue. If someone wants to add a rubber duck or even worse, HDR, then that should be allowed. The number of votes the shot gets will reflect on how much voters like this.

One final thought, maybe voters don't actually understand what they're voting for so we could impose a judging panel on the shots.
Sadly my days are packed out now g
Otherwise I'd gladly offer the prize again.

As the father of this board please use your other sign on to even up the votes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re post #12 @AB22 Easy Tiger
Like your idea of "My favourite shot" a lot.

Not sure about the judging panel???? Can you explain more?
I think we need the vote/poll as usual, we can't tell people how to vote, though I remember you did tell people to think about how the photo met theme as well as the actual photo.
I think @TiredEyes should be on the panel if we have a judging panel.

If we have a panel the photos would have to be anonymous. I'd like to go back to the thread way of showing photos, I like knowing who is taking which photos .

Re post #12 @AB22 Easy Tiger
Like your idea of "My favourite shot" a lot.

Not sure about the judging panel???? Can you explain more?
I think we need the vote/poll as usual, we can't tell people how to vote, though I remember you did tell people to think about how the photo met theme as well as the actual photo.
I think @TiredEyes should be on the panel if we have a judging panel.

If we have a panel the photos would have to be anonymous. I'd like to go back to the thread way of showing photos, I like knowing who is taking which photos .
I was being facetious regarding the judging panel. Letting the masses vote on stuff they don't understand.....

Thanks for the contributions everyone. I think I'll set the November and December thread up in the new format asking people to;
Post in the thread
Up to 5 photos each
Add EXIF data - optional

FWIW, I do worry that by showing the photos as the month (2 months) goes on, people may be scared off putting in an entry if they think it's not as valid / good as earlier already published entries. We'll give it a go though.

Can you sticky this thread - http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/favourite-shot-of-the-month-november-2016.1292651/ - onto the SMB please G?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back