Police Officer Killed

We are regularly told when requesting LAS that they are holding over 200 calls.

Do you think part of that is a lack of responsibility on the patients part in some cases where they ring 999 and demand an ambulance unnecessarily?
We get some calls that are clearly not for us to deal, a few weeks back a couple of teenagers were locked in a park so they rang us, I refused to send anyone as all we would have done is went then contacted LFB, why didn’t they do it to begin with or the call taker refer them, they drive around with huge f***ing ladders on the roof for fucks sake!!
The biggest failure is the nhs itself. 111 and the inability to triage from all angles of demand pushes things beyond limits. Whilst ambulances attend calls that belong to someone else, the real stuff waits and suffers. This then knocks on to the staff and they break.
Risk avoidance rather than managing the risk, Human Resources ( this phrase boils my piss) and the opinion of so many employers when “this ones broke , pass me another” just compounds the feeling that so many people don’t feel valued. Why send anyone to the jobs where people were locked in a park? It’s not an emergency, lives arnt at risk so send a parky as and when as in the balance of probabilities, a couple of hours isn’t going to hurt. It’s a defendable decision

The biggest failure is the nhs itself. 111 and the inability to triage from all angles of demand pushes things beyond limits. Whilst ambulances attend calls that belong to someone else, the real stuff waits and suffers. This then knocks on to the staff and they break.
Risk avoidance rather than managing the risk, Human Resources ( this phrase boils my piss) and the opinion of so many employers when “this ones broke , pass me another” just compounds the feeling that so many people don’t feel valued. Why send anyone to the jobs where people were locked in a park? It’s not an emergency, lives arnt at risk so send a parky as and when as in the balance of probabilities, a couple of hours isn’t going to hurt. It’s a defendable decision

Exactly, that was my opinion. At that same time there were another 6 or 7 calls all waiting for police, a couple if which needed police there sooner rather than later. I had a huge argument with the control room staff as apparently I wasn’t considering the fact they might be there overnight and might get hypothermia, in f***ing august just after the hottest august bank holiday on record was my reply.

Speaking to some of the LAS crews I speak to and some of the shit they get sent to is unbelievable. The public really do need educating about what emergency services are there for.

Exactly, that was my opinion. At that same time there were another 6 or 7 calls all waiting for police, a couple if which needed police there sooner rather than later. I had a huge argument with the control room staff as apparently I wasn’t considering the fact they might be there overnight and might get hypothermia, in f***ing august just after the hottest august bank holiday on record was my reply.

Speaking to some of the LAS crews I speak to and some of the shit they get sent to is unbelievable. The public really do need educating about what emergency services are there for.
Many of them shite calls have tried to access services but the nhs is it’s own worst enemy and avoid the risk rather than manage it. My last year, I left 60% of the calls I went too at home. It’s mentally draining driving 30-40 miles on blue lights only to be told that the shortness of breath has been seen by a gp that day and the prescription wasn’t ready so the patient dials 111 for advice. They then send an ambulance...... I got so annoyed at this abuse by the nhs I left and went to work in a GP surgery. After all, 60% of the calls I went too were theirs anyway.
Listening to general broadcasts for people who arnt breathing when you are tied up with someone else’s work does get to you. This shite isn’t what we signed up for and getting home 3 hrs late for absolute failures nearly daily takes its toll too.

This is why people should be fined for wasting the emergency services time.
Yes I know that's draconian, but maybe it's the only way some people will learn. It should be common sense, but unfortunately, it ain't that common these days

Just to be clear, Henry Long is not a traveller and has never lived on a traveller site.

His mum is a traveller but she hooked up with his non traveller dad and moved into a council house where he was brought up. He has lived mostly with his dad the last few years in a council flat. He is cousins with one of the 17 year olds charged today and that cousin grew up on a traveller site until 3 years ago when almost the whole site were moved out into council houses.

Just to be clear, Henry Long is not a traveller and has never lived on a traveller site.

His mum is a traveller but she hooked up with his non traveller dad and moved into a council house where he was brought up. He has lived mostly with his dad the last few years in a council flat. He is cousins with one of the 17 year olds charged today and that cousin grew up on a traveller site until 3 years ago when almost the whole site were moved out into council houses.

So does that make them "former travellers" then?

A lot of the travelling community live in houses and contrary to belief have never actually travelled

A lot of the travelling community live in houses and contrary to belief have never actually travelled

Yep. The mother of one of the 17 year olds was brought up in a house but is very much a traveller. She moved to the site when she married another.
Jed Foster released after murder charges are dropped
Jed Foster released after murder charges are dropped

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine Q - what sort of compensation scheme is there in place, if any, for people held for a period of time who are then let off or found not guilty?

I imagine some can go back to their old job, have some banter about it and even wear it as a badge of honor and something to boast about. Others could be close to having their lives destroyed by the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine Q - what sort of compensation scheme is there in place, if any, for people held for a period of time who are then let off or found not guilty?

I imagine some can go back to their old job, have some banter about it and even wear it as a badge of honor and something to boast about. Others could be close to having their lives destroyed by the experience.

From what I can gather, fuck all.
They can potentially sue for defamation of character but I'm not sure

What happens if someone is held for months resulting in them losing their job and property only to have charges dropped later? I just assumed there would be some kind of compensation on offer.

Being held for months inside could destroy someone mentally too.

To be clear- I am talking in general and not about this lad being let out

What happens if someone is held for months resulting in them losing their job and property only to have charges dropped later? I just assumed there would be some kind of compensation on offer.

Being held for months inside could destroy someone mentally too.

To be clear- I am talking in general and not about this lad being let out

To be held for months they would need to be charged and remanded which means there would need to be a decent amount of evidence.
Held in police custody, which is a maximum of 96 hours for non terrorism offences, entitled to nothing so long as the detention was lawful. Not being charged does not make detention unlawful though.

Last edited:
It’s a shame they got the wrong lad but I’m sure he will get over it, good job they never executed him.
Unfortunately for the policeman and his family there is no “getting released”

Back