Police love travellers.

Are there any bins in the SOL?

Few travellers in the prison, uneducated (cant read write or tell the time) not sure what chance they have born into that
You don’t need to be educated to know how to break the law, they have all the skills they need for their way of life.

Its not at all though is it

Would a group of 100 football fans - or any group of 100 people - get to break into a brewery, threaten staff, smash windows and cause all other kinds of damage including flooding part of it, stripping out copper wires and stealing computers, take over the place for a whole weekend, cause £100,000 of damage/financial loss...and then have the police 'talk to them' and 'negotiate their departure' and be allowed to leave without a single arrest on site? I think, what, four people have since been arrested and charged but nothing was done at the time - there was a significant public order issue and the criminals were left unchecked to rampage around destroying what they wanted until they could be 'negotiated' out. Who else gets treated with kid gloves like that?

That was absolutely shameful, and I agree with one of the brewers: "Personally, and I speak for I think everyone in the company, I think it is absolutely disgusting... that not one person has been arrested."

Same in 2015 when there was that massive gathering in Seaham, and they were doing things like taking over the Ryhope McDonalds and threatening to rape the lasses that worked there, and pubs and shops were forced to close rather than risk their staff and their stock (didn't the Crow's Nest close for much of the week? Why do they have to do that?). Same as in Norfolk when an entire village pretty much had to lock its doors and shutter up. Why are communities having to do that to protect themselves from theft, damage, assault and threats of violence? Where are the police? Why do they always seem more interested in 'moving on' or 'negotiating' rather than going in and dealing with criminality?

Its not at all though is it
put it like this , its not a minority of em.

Would a group of 100 football fans - or any group of 100 people - get to break into a brewery, threaten staff, smash windows and cause all other kinds of damage including flooding part of it, stripping out copper wires and stealing computers, take over the place for a whole weekend, cause £100,000 of damage/financial loss...and then have the police 'talk to them' and 'negotiate their departure' and be allowed to leave without a single arrest on site? I think, what, four people have since been arrested and charged but nothing was done at the time - there was a significant public order issue and the criminals were left unchecked to rampage around destroying what they wanted until they could be 'negotiated' out. Who else gets treated with kid gloves like that?

That was absolutely shameful, and I agree with one of the brewers: "Personally, and I speak for I think everyone in the company, I think it is absolutely disgusting... that not one person has been arrested."

Same in 2015 when there was that massive gathering in Seaham, and they were doing things like taking over the Ryhope McDonalds and threatening to rape the lasses that worked there, and pubs and shops were forced to close rather than risk their staff and their stock (didn't the Crow's Nest close for much of the week? Why do they have to do that?). Same as in Norfolk when an entire village pretty much had to lock its doors and shutter up. Why are communities having to do that to protect themselves from theft, damage, assault and threats of violence? Where are the police? Why do they always seem more interested in 'moving on' or 'negotiating' rather than going in and dealing with criminality?
These aren't isolated incidents , this is how they behave.
20 yrs ago , a fella i know ( in his late 50s) made the mistake of asking one of em to refrain from swearing in front of his wife in a pub , the offending scumbag left and returned with 2 pals , they then set about the gentleman in front of his Mrs. He was so badly injured he spent 9 weeks in hospital and subsequently never returned to work and died within a year.The police response at the time was to say that there is no point pursuing the case because the assailants will have moved to some nondescript gypsy site down south and it will be impossible to trace em.
Brother in law had his car driven into by one of em a few years ago , when they exchanged phone numbers and and insurance details m his turned out to be false.
After contacting plod he was told the car was registered to a an address at a travellers site in Darlington and that the there was no point in trying to find the guilty party as he would have no tax , insurance etc and would just move to a different site .

Last edited:
They seem to me very cult like in their approach to fighting, marriage and religion. It’s forced upon kids it seems to become fighters from an early age, which is respectable until a kid is forced to do something he doesn’t really want to do. They have gender roles, the women do housework, stay at home, cooking and cleaning, they live a few years in the past in that regard.

Religion is such a wonderful tool, they do some pretty nasty shit to each other and outsiders but then preach the bible and god.

There’s good and bad I suppose, but it seems a very oppressive way of life for many.

I think you only have to look as far as Tyson Fury and Billy Joe Saunders to see the good and bad. They’ve both said some controversial stuff, that is frowned upon, they say somethings that make many others respect them for their balls.

It’s half 4 in the morning, I’m not prejudice, I think judging different parts of society is only natural.
The boot is obviously on a fishing trip with his macky on gypsy roots but he has a valid point in that it's quite acceptable to stereo type on here about "travellers" but as soon as others do it about Muslims they get pelters.

It seems quite in vogue ATM

They seem to me very cult like in their approach to fighting, marriage and religion. It’s forced upon kids it seems to become fighters from an early age, which is respectable until a kid is forced to do something he doesn’t really want to do. They have gender roles, the women do housework, stay at home, cooking and cleaning, they live a few years in the past in that regard.

Religion is such a wonderful tool, they do some pretty nasty shit to each other and outsiders but then preach the bible and god.

There’s good and bad I suppose, but it seems a very oppressive way of life for many.

I think you only have to look as far as Tyson Fury and Billy Joe Saunders to see the good and bad. They’ve both said some controversial stuff, that is frowned upon, they say somethings that make many others respect them for their balls.

It’s half 4 in the morning, I’m not prejudice, I think judging different parts of society is only natural.
Exactly mate. Good post, everyone is there to be judged these days. Even us in the north east are still regarded as cap wearing whippet racing thick heeds by some other parts of the country. My only issue is when some other posters say that ‘all’ travellers are this and that. When we ‘all’ know that this ain’t true. Maybe ‘all’ they have encountered or heard about on here more like. Using the words like ‘all’ or ‘everyone of them’ or the ‘whole lot’ is pretty much out and out prejudice and extremism at its worse. If this thread was about any other culture and these extremists views were posted, it would have been pulled imo. Like I have said to anyone on here show me a trait of the traveller that exists only in that culture and is not a problem for the rest of society and I will happily admit I’m wrong. Just as an example.
Littering ‘gypsy scum’ seems to be a big issue for some posters. Even though it’s repeated over and over again on here about the litter problem in Sunderland, not just the country lanes. The city centre. There are clean up campaigns on going throughout the city year on year but if someone from sheels came on this forum and said ‘all you mackems are littering dirty scum’ am sure they would be banned.

put it like this , its not a minority of em.

These aren't isolated incidents , this is how they behave.
20 yrs ago , a fella i know ( in his late 50s) made the mistake of asking one of em to refrain from swearing in front of his wife in a pub , the offending scumbag left and returned with 2 pals , they then set about the gentleman in front of his Mrs. He was so badly injured he spent 9 weeks in hospital and subsequently never returned to work and died within a year.The police response at the time was to say that there is no point pursuing the case because the assailants will have moved to some nondescript gypsy site down south and it will be impossible to trace em.
Brother in law had his car driven into by one of em a few years ago , when they exchanged phone numbers and and insurance details m his turned out to be false.
After contacting plod he was told the car was registered to a an address at a travellers site in Darlington and that the there was no point in trying to find the guilty party as he would have no tax , insurance etc and would just move to a different site .
This happens outside the travelling community though.

The boot is obviously on a fishing trip with his macky on gypsy roots but he has a valid point in that it's quite acceptable to stereo type on here about "travellers" but as soon as others do it about Muslims they get pelters.

It seems quite in vogue ATM
100% true.

Exactly mate. Good post, everyone is there to be judged these days. Even us in the north east are still regarded as cap wearing whippet racing thick heeds by some other parts of the country. My only issue is when some other posters say that ‘all’ travellers are this and that. When we ‘all’ know that this ain’t true. Maybe ‘all’ they have encountered or heard about on here more like. Using the words like ‘all’ or ‘everyone of them’ or the ‘whole lot’ is pretty much out and out prejudice and extremism at its worse. If this thread was about any other culture and these extremists views were posted, it would have been pulled imo. Like I have said to anyone on here show me a trait of the traveller that exists only in that culture and is not a problem for the rest of society and I will happily admit I’m wrong. Just as an example.
Littering ‘gypsy scum’ seems to be a big issue for some posters. Even though it’s repeated over and over again on here about the litter problem in Sunderland, not just the country lanes. The city centre. There are clean up campaigns on going throughout the city year on year but if someone from sheels came on this forum and said ‘all you mackems are littering dirty scum’ am sure they would be banned.

This happens outside the travelling community though.

100% true.
As usual you're missing the point. Yes these things happen outside of the gyppo community but there is a far higher incidence of these things occurring within the gyppo community.

As usual you're missing the point. Yes these things happen outside of the gyppo community but there is a far higher incidence of these things occurring within the gyppo community.

This. In the 70’s and 80’s when the far right infiltrated the terraces should the police/ clubs/ government just say ‘well, not everybody is a racist and you get racists in other groups so just stop complaining?’. There is a problem with how the traveller community as a whole makes money and treat their temporary surroundings and there doesn’t seem to be any official approach to tackle it.

Every traveller to a man, woman and child is scum.

Can’t stand the bastards me

Right I will try this way mate. Give me a chance. Terrorism extremism and hatered to infedels are far higher with Isis than the Muslim community as a whole. I think we can all agree on that. We can all agree that attitudes to every day Muslims even if they don’t agree with all of our traditions and customs and vice verse is one of tolerance. If we treated everyday Muslims with the attitude we treat Isis well my friend we would all be trump supporting Americans. Therefore can you not accept the fact that some travellers pay there way as in council tax in a house then travel during the summer months in fitting with their tradition and custom, clean up after themselves and cause no trouble.

He is stating that police officers are scared of travellers. Doesnt matter what case you olace up which may question the decision making of a high ranking officer where there are other mitigating factors but to state officers are scared of travellers is wrong. Then make a slight back track of 'well most of them are'.
I can say first hand... you are both wrong and i stand in a better position to say so.

This. In the 70’s and 80’s when the far right infiltrated the terraces should the police/ clubs/ government just say ‘well, not everybody is a racist and you get racists in other groups so just stop complaining?’. There is a problem with how the traveller community as a whole makes money and treat their temporary surroundings and there doesn’t seem to be any official approach to tackle it.
So did they stop fans who never caused trouble on the terraces? Or just the trouble makers?

He is stating that police officers are scared of travellers. Doesnt matter what case you olace up which may question the decision making of a high ranking officer where there are other mitigating factors but to state officers are scared of travellers is wrong. Then make a slight back track of 'well most of them are'.
I can say first hand... you are both wrong and i stand in a better position to say so.

To be fair, I think when most of us are saying 'the police are scared to' it doesn't mean individual officer X is scared to confront traveller Y. It's talking about the force as a whole, and whether its policy or poor operational command, to the people who being confronted with this criminality it is immaterial: they are not being supported or made safe and the police are making decisions about the criminals which seem different to just about every other group. There are no mitigating factors which justify standing back while a group rampage for a whole weekend destroying other people's livelihoods.

I don't really care what your inside knowledge is, or even what the reasons are - people are being let down over and over because the police aren't dealing with this in the way they would almost anything else.

Back