Points records

Looks like both the premier league and league one points total and not winning league /,promotion will be smashed this year
Possibly 97 points and not winning premier league is insane really like

Looks like both the premier league and league one points total and not winning league /,promotion will be smashed this year
Two very clinical sides

This will more than likely happen now as can’t see either of them dropping a point

Surprised at our league because nobody seems miles better than anyone else, the premier on the other hand.....

Agree. Think the same but maybe something in the theory that some teams have raised their game against Safc?

Been fairly impressed with Burton, Oxford, Blackpool,Accrington and Coventry on the pitch at this level. Strange that 5 teams have pulled so far away from the rest.

Has 90 points ever missed automatic promotion in league one before?

Researched it myself.

2011-12; Sheffield United 90pts (3rd)

Only time in 20 years, can’t be bothered to go further back.

Last edited:
Agree. Think the same but maybe something in the theory that some teams have raised their game against Safc?

Been fairly impressed with Burton, Oxford, Blackpool,Accrington and Coventry on the pitch at this level. Strange that 5 teams have pulled so far away from the rest.
I think you are right to be honest, overall the standard of the league is appalling with a lot of sides gunning for us. We are in April now and we still don’t seem to have found a way to cope with it which is one of the reasons why we are where we are. It was always going to happen.

Just had a random look at 2 years

2016......87 points L1 Champions, 85 points 2nd place
2015......99 points L1 Champions, 91 points 2nd place

Researched it myself.

2011-12; Sheffield United 90pts (3rd)

Only time in 20 years, can’t be bothered to go further back.
We did the same in 1997-98 in the Championship... The best season I ever knew still

We could break 2 football league records
Failure to get promotion with the most points (90)
Failure to get promotion with the fewest losses (5)
On paper we could end being the unluckiest side in football league history BUT we shouldn’t sleepwalk into next season. Individual quality has masked how bad we’ve been, HAVE to sign at least 2 centre backs, HAVE to sign 2 full backs, HAVE to bring in pace and height through the middle of the side, HAVE to ensure we aren’t wholly reliant on McGeady.

I think you are right to be honest, overall the standard of the league is appalling with a lot of sides gunning for us. We are in April now and we still don’t seem to have found a way to cope with it which is one of the reasons why we are where we are. It was always going to happen.
Need more muscle for when it gets tough. Look at Reids championship winning team, had loads of skill but also 7 or 8 players you would want in the trenches with you.

Indeed. We currently have one less point than League Two winners Lincoln who have an 11 point gap over 4th and have played a game more. Similarly in the Championship, it is also strongly possible that we may end up with more points than the team finishing 2nd or even 1st.

I think most would agree our points tally flatters us.....we've rarely played decent football or won games easily. Yes we're resilient, yes we've got a goal in the team, but we've also got a lot of ordinary players. But ordinary is the name of the league. Having 5 such good sides in a league has to be rare - whoever comes 5th must surely have a record points total and one that might on another season have earned promotion.

We can't bemoan anything. We started the season excellently.....we've had numerous chances to pull away into the top 2, and the honest truth is that we haven't been good enough to do so.

For all our supposed "failure" that's banded about on here on a daily basis, you do have to factor in what a crazy, unique season it's been as a whole.
You've got potentially four teams finishing on +90 points, with a fifth team not far behind. Just our luck it's the f***ing season we're in it.

For all our supposed "failure" that's banded about on here on a daily basis, you do have to factor in what a crazy, unique season it's been as a whole.
You've got potentially four teams finishing on +90 points, with a fifth team not far behind. Just our luck it's the f***ing season we're in it.
When all is said and done, we're one of the numerous great chances missed away from being in a very healthy position. Grigg missing that open goal (or one of many other chances) could be the difference between automatic and play offs.

I think most would agree our points tally flatters us.....we've rarely played decent football or won games easily. Yes we're resilient, yes we've got a goal in the team, but we've also got a lot of ordinary players. But ordinary is the name of the league. Having 5 such good sides in a league has to be rare - whoever comes 5th must surely have a record points total and one that might on another season have earned promotion.

We can't bemoan anything. We started the season excellently.....we've had numerous chances to pull away into the top 2, and the honest truth is that we haven't been good enough to do so.

I don't think it flatters us at all. I think we've been a tad unlucky in some games and carried a bit of luck in others....overall, we are where we deserve to be.

Exactly everyone seems to think we have been shit all year, I dont get it
People on here sway in a breeze, are all supporters of other teams so fickle as well I wonder? very rarely contribute to the match thread but I sometimes randomly look back on them and they are weirdly bipolar, normally all about the result and whatever contributory factors might arise are thrown out with the dummies!

Back