Pointlessly challenging yourself

Not so much a challenge but similar style weird thing. If I gan for a shite and forget my phone I go all retro and read the back of the shampoo bottles and other stuff.

I don't think it is pointless to challenge yourself.

I used to learn all the number plates of cars on my way to school.

I've never really been competitive with other people but always with myself.

Not pointless.

I don't think it is pointless to challenge yourself.

I used to learn all the number plates of cars on my way to school.

I've never really been competitive with other people but always with myself.

Not pointless.

I used to be a big fan of crimewatch as a kid.
Always some busybody with specs saying "i noticed a dark blue ford cortina going up and down the street a few times so i wrote down the number plate..."
So i used to try and remember number plates of cars in case the police needed the information.
I'm still a proper nosey Norris and instinctively know all my neighbour's routines, like when cars start in the morning or arrive home at night, doors shutting etc. Any unusual activty in the street and I've got my nose to the window upstairs watching what's happening.

Everytime I walk over a bridge I’m tempted to throw my house keys over it.
I always think about throwing my phone when walking over a bridge.

I try to click my fingers as close as I can get to the exact moment the kettle clicks off to say it's boiled.
I try to lift the kettle off at the exact time it stops same when the microwaves finishes I try and open the door just before the timer runs out.

I try and open the microwave door at the exact moment it reaches zero in an attempt to beat the beep it emits. Only done it three times successfully, but what a rush!:lol:
ah another fellow mentalist!

When I'm in the gym, (in my mind) I have to hit all reps on my last set or Sunderland are losing their next game. Good motivator but it doesn't appear to have an affect. :cry:

Also relate strongly to @Tadger having urges to do things he shouldn't, twat a gaffer with a mallett, throw myself off a bridge, drive on the pavement and lamp pensioners being some of the usuals.
I sometimes have an urge to trip over old people when walking past them.

Last edited:
Years ago, I worked in a engineering office in Newcastle and we used to go for an Italian meal the last Friday lunchtime of the month. Me and another lad had a pointless challenge we did. When your meal arrives and the waiter/waitress asks if you want black pepper, say yes then see how long you can let them them apply the black pepper for before you chicken out. The other lad did the same to see who was the winner and the game 'black pepper chicken' was born.

Last edited:
Years ago, I worked in a engineering office in Newcastle and we used to go for an Italian meal the last Friday lunchtime of the month. Me and another lad had a pointless challenge we did. When your meal arrives and the waiter/waitress asks if you want black pepper, say yes then see how long you can let them them apply the black pepper for before you chicken out. The other lad did the same to see who was the winner and the game 'black pepper chicken' was born.

No one ever does it long enough

Play chicken with boiling the kettle. Try and second guess and wait as long as possible before manually switching it off before it automatically turns itself off

I have that fear horrendously. I feel like if I stumble slightly everything will fly out my pockets. I get make sure everything is secured on bridges

Last edited:
Have recently taken to making drinks in the dark. Not hot ones. But a glass of diluted orange, or pouring a glass of pepsi. Absolute doddle.
Remember when me grandad went blind and he used to put his thumb inside the brim of the cup so when he poured tea, he knew how full it was. His thumb was all scolded like, but he managed.
I've realised I don't need the lights on to get a drink though and so far no issues.
Might have a go at doing vodka and mixers next weekend as my skills improve.

Our downstairs toilet has a fan that comes on after the light is switched on. After turning on the light I try and start pissing before the fan kicks in. That's some pressure there.

People are slagging the OP but people are always more mental then they let on and do weird stuff when they’re alone and/or have mad thoughts.

I’m quite prone to thinking about what’s the worst thing I could do at any given moment. Like if you’re at a christening you think about running over and punching the vicar and pissing in the font.
Stabbing the baby would be worse surely?

Anybody ever do stupid challenges just to see if you can do it?
Things I do are things like if there's a minute left on the microwave i try to hold my breath until it's done.
Or try and get all the shopping out the boot in one go, end up with about half a dozen carrier bags in one hand and bog rolls wedged in the armpit and pulling the boot shut trying not to drop another couple of bags in my other hand.
Absolutely no need to do it but I just like to have a go now and then.

Wouldn't dare try and challenge myself properly like trying to make something of my life or be a better person
The microwave must be a boredom thing. I always try and look at it just as the last second ticks off the clock; got quite good at it too :lol: :oops:

Back