Pogba up there with the greatest of all time

Imagine thinking Pogba is one of the greatest of all time :lol:

I don't personally believe that. But the rule is well established. Pele and Maradona have won a world cup and Messi and Ronaldo haven't that's why they can't be called the best ever.
Now Pogba is a world cup winner he must be automatically better than anybody who hasn't won it.
Can only judge a player on international performance once every four years, and only if they win it

Using the Maradona Rule then Paul Pogba is clearly one of the best of all time.
Scored in a world cup final.
Won the world cup.
Won 4 league titles.
Won a European trophy.

Also excellent at Euro 2016 but finished runner up.
Pogba is nowhere near up there with the best, I might be in minority but I struggle to see what all the fuss is about. He does a couple of good things in a game then dissapears

Pogba is nowhere near up there with the best, I might be in minority but I struggle to see what all the fuss is about. He does a couple of good things in a game then dissapears

I don't make the rules mate. I agree with you. Football wisdom by people who don't like modern things. World cup win is more valued than a decade of consistency winning trophies year after year scoring over 40 goals a year. Messi and Ronaldo must be seething that somebody like Pogba has now done more than them in the game.

Using the Maradona Rule then Paul Pogba is clearly one of the best of all time.
Scored in a world cup final.
Won the world cup.
Won 4 league titles.
Won a European trophy.

Also excellent at Euro 2016 but finished runner up.

But Pogba hasn't got the individual records that Messi and Maradona have at club level. They're not comparable for this reason alone. Messi and Maradona are compared because they've consistenly proven themselves to be two of the best players ever. For Messi to elevate himself further, the argument is he needs to do more in major international tournaments, ie the World Cup. But of course you know all this, and are just being deliberately awkward.

Fwiw, Pogba is a fantastic midfielder.

Pogba better than Best in that case
He’s undoubtedly a better central midfielder than George Best, who played his career as a winger, yes.

If you just want to look at this as whether trophies give some indication as to whether to someone was good, though, then Best who won a couple of league titles and the European Cup wasn’t a bad player at all in his day.

I mean seriously, though, this thread is f***ing stupid.

Not seen anything to suggest he’s anything but a top half midefielder. Rarely contributes much is neither prolific, strong on the ball or an excellent passer. Just another fashionable footballer. Big, has stupid haircuts, does crraaazy pop culture celebrations and has a good marketing team. Nothing about him as a footballer excites me.
As he’s a 25 year old who has been involved in a winning a number of league titles, a World Cup, was runner up at the Euros, a Champions League runner up, and pivotal in winning a number of domestic trophies, that would certainly suggest that his level is above ‘top half midfielder’ and you’re talking bollocks, here.

Last edited:
He’s undoubtedly a better central midfielder than George Best, who played his career as a winger, yes.

If you just want to look at this as whether trophies give some indication as to whether to someone was good, though, then Best who won a couple of league titles and the European Cup wasn’t a bad player at all in his day.

I mean seriously, though, this thread is f***ing stupid.

As he’s a 25 year old who has been involved in a winning a number of league titles, a World Cup, was runner up at the Euros, a Champions League runner up, and pivotal in winning a number of domestic trophies, that would certainly suggest that his level is above ‘top half midfielder’ and you’re talking bollocks, here.

No I’m not. Why can other people spout shit about players they don’t know yet because I’m unimpressed by a “football icon” I’m talking bollocks. Maybe he is brilliant in the times I haven’t seen him play which is many times I’m not wrong in my own opinion that he never impressed me. Not once have I seen a game he has been involved in and thought he controlled it or won it by some sheer brilliance because for the money he cost and how highly he is spoken of that is what I would expect.

Agree with this. One very overated player.....good but not in the grade 1 list.

No I’m not. Why can other people spout shit about players they don’t know yet because I’m unimpressed by a “football icon” I’m talking bollocks. Maybe he is brilliant in the times I haven’t seen him play which is many times I’m not wrong in my own opinion that he never impressed me. Not once have I seen a game he has been involved in and thought he controlled it or won it by some sheer brilliance because for the money he cost and how highly he is spoken of that is what I would expect.
I mean you’d only have to have watched the World Cup final on Sunday to have seen how him and Kante stopped Modric and Rakitic - who’d been for me the best midfield pairing in the tournament - playing and scored in the final. The point is, as a general guideline, for his age he’s consistently playing at, scoring and often winning at the highest levels of his profession, to say he isn’t anything better than a ‘top half midfielder’ is a bit of a ridiculous comment. Basically, he’s a good step above playing for the likes of f***ing Everton.

I mean you’d only have to have watched the World Cup final on Sunday to have seen how him and Kante stopped Modric and Rakitic - who’d been for me the best midfield pairing in the tournament - playing and scored in the final. The point is, as a general guideline, for his age he’s consistently playing at, scoring and often winning at the highest levels of his profession, to say he isn’t anything better than a ‘top half midfielder’ is a bit of a ridiculous comment. Basically, he’s a good step above playing for the likes of f***ing Everton.

Okay hands up his record suggests he deserves to be at a Chapions league club, my point is for the hype I have never seen him live up to it. Maybe I’m underestimating his role on Sunday just didn’t really notice him apart from the goal.

Messi isn't as good as Maradona because Maradona was the best player in the World wether he was playing for Napoli or Argentina, Messi has done it at club level with the best supporting cast but was nowhere near the best in a World Cup

Pogba has never been the best in the world at any point
Yet

There’s a gap about to open up. Ronaldo and Messi are both on the edge to start their declines. Only a year or 2 and they’ll be replaced at the top. It’s just who will replace them

Pogba is only 25

Back