Podcast Recommendations

L

Lexingtongue

Just really starting to get into these after download the BBC Sounds app. I'm looking for recommendations for Science, History, and maybe some audiobook/short story type stuff if available. Any suggestions?

Do a search, this has been done a few times before but:

On bbc sounds app:
13 minutes to the Moon
The Missing Cryptoqueen
Paradise
50 things that changed the modern economy
Friday night comedy
You’re Dead To Me

Not BBC but still good (not necessarily history or science)
Serial
S-town
Richard Herrings Leicester Sq theatre podcast
Science(ish)
Sawbones (medical history)
No Such Thing as a Fish

more votes here for

Dan Snows History Hit
TFTM
Life Goals

I'd also recommend Tunnel 29 on BBC Sounds.......excellent
Tunnel 29 is the reason I got the Sounds app. It was great. Listened to it in one go while I soaked in the bath. :lol:
Do a search, this has been done a few times before but:

On bbc sounds app:
13 minutes to the Moon
The Missing Cryptoqueen
Paradise
50 things that changed the modern economy
Friday night comedy
You’re Dead To Me

Not BBC but still good (not necessarily history or science)
Serial
S-town
Richard Herrings Leicester Sq theatre podcast
Science(ish)
Sawbones (medical history)
No Such Thing as a Fish
Really tried You're Dead to Me but I just didn't enjoy it. The comedian I find usually ruins things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science - Infinite Monkey Cage
History - Our Fake History, Dan Snow
Interesting - Serial Killers, Swindled
Comedy - Friday Night Comedy
SAFC - Wise Men Say, The Roar, Roker Rapport
Non-SAFC footy - Undr The Cosh, Lineker & Baker Behind Closed Doors

Just really starting to get into these after download the BBC Sounds app. I'm looking for recommendations for Science, History, and maybe some audiobook/short story type stuff if available. Any suggestions?
History:

Found this fascinating although I would maybe pick and choose things you are interested in unless you literally want to learn the entire history of our isle

General:

Joe rogan has the biggest podcast in the world with some famous guests such as elon musk, bryan cox, louis theroux, mel gibson etc.

He also has a lot of comedians who don't often get the spotlight particularly over here, Joey Diaz for instance is one of the best storytellers id never heard of till he was on this podcast.

And the ricky gervais show from years ago for out and out comedy. If you've never listened to them. Utterly fantastic.

History:

Found this fascinating although I would maybe pick and choose things you are interested in unless you literally want to learn the entire history of our isle

General:

Joe rogan has the biggest podcast in the world with some famous guests such as elon musk, bryan cox, louis theroux, mel gibson etc.

He also has a lot of comedians who don't often get the spotlight particularly over here, Joey Diaz for instance is one of the best storytellers id never heard of till he was on this podcast.

And the ricky gervais show from years ago for out and out comedy. If you've never listened to them. Utterly fantastic.
Listened to all the Gervais podcasts many years ago while in my first ever job. I hated him at the time but my mate had them on all the time and I kinda grew to enjoy them. Marchant is underrated, IMHO.

I listen to Ridiculous History, it’s American so wont be to everyone’s taste but they have some good tales from all around the world.

Also Disgraceland. Another American one with stories about high jinks from the music industry. Quite literally sex, drugs & rock’n’roll with a bit of murder and violence thrown in.

I was subscribed to History Hit but couldn’t keep up with them all so pick & choose now.

For footy - Roker Rapport, Wise Men Say & Undr the Cosh.

Horse racing - Final Furlong and #Racehour

Listened to all the Gervais podcasts many years ago while in my first ever job. I hated him at the time but my mate had them on all the time and I kinda grew to enjoy them. Marchant is underrated, IMHO.
He is unbelievably so!

The annoying thing was the podcasts weren't even them at their best. Before that they were on a show on XFM (now radio X) back when it was a tiny alternative station with next to no listeners, it's where they met Karl and all of the stories that come out were heard for the first time.

Honestly they are twice if not more times as good as the podcasts because its not scripted in any way, there's no set up at all, its completely off the cuff and they are finding stuff out about each other for the first time.

Series 1 is a little rough cos karl is just meant to be the producer so he speaks slowly more and more as they realise he's a little gem of comedy but by series 2 hes a host aswell and honestly some of the funniest moments I've ever heard on radio come out of nowhere and because they know its just london listening and they are still relatively small fry at the time are willing to say a lot more and slag off loads of people.

All of them are here and can be downloaded to listen to like a podcast aswell

If you like a combination of true crime and comedy, I can’t recommend Last Podcast on the Left highly enough.

Currently listening to a 5 part series on Jonestown

Back