Podcast/music recording technical advice?

Lovemore

Midfield
Anyone?
What I’m interested in doing is recording songs, acoustic guitar and voice, and then uploading that into a podcast format.
Ideally it’d be something that could produce a great recording on its own with minimal fuss as I am not computer savvy. I have a chrome book as a laptop and am not even sure of that is suffice t to mix and upload podcasts. I also have an iPad...

Is there some kind of digital recorder that could House the recording and then just upload to the internet with minimum fuss?
Any help, as always, greatly appreciated x

Anyone?
What I’m interested in doing is recording songs, acoustic guitar and voice, and then uploading that into a podcast format.
Ideally it’d be something that could produce a great recording on its own with minimal fuss as I am not computer savvy. I have a chrome book as a laptop and am not even sure of that is suffice t to mix and upload podcasts. I also have an iPad...

Is there some kind of digital recorder that could House the recording and then just upload to the internet with minimum fuss?
Ask @Cockney Mackem he's got a pod on the go

You could use garage band or similar simple recording programme. Podcast wise, just google podcast platforms and loads come up. It’s a lot easier than you think.

Anyone?

I'd ask on FB musician forums ,lots doing good quality uploads and the question comes up a lot. Not very techy either so don't note what's said

To capture the sound your options are (and tbh I don't know what Chromebooks can and can't do) :

- USB mic, record direct into a DAW (recording software) on your laptop or iPad (you can get adaptors to get a USB mic working with a Lightning interface)
- Audio interface (XLR mic/mics plug into that, it plugs in to your laptop or iPad, like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo
- Digital recorder, like a Zoom H4n/H5 - but for best quality one you can plug an XLR mic into, rather than using the condenser mics on the Zoom.

USB mic gives you more convenience, cheaper, XLR better quality. Get a dynamic mic not a condenser unless you have an incredibly quiet room to record in. But you probably have a mic already.

Most of the DAWs I know won't work on a Chromebook, believe that includes Audacity. Soundtrap seems to be well thought of, or go for Garageband on your iPad.

To capture the sound your options are (and tbh I don't know what Chromebooks can and can't do) :

- USB mic, record direct into a DAW (recording software) on your laptop or iPad (you can get adaptors to get a USB mic working with a Lightning interface)
- Audio interface (XLR mic/mics plug into that, it plugs in to your laptop or iPad, like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo
- Digital recorder, like a Zoom H4n/H5 - but for best quality one you can plug an XLR mic into, rather than using the condenser mics on the Zoom.

USB mic gives you more convenience, cheaper, XLR better quality. Get a dynamic mic not a condenser unless you have an incredibly quiet room to record in. But you probably have a mic already.

Most of the DAWs I know won't work on a Chromebook, believe that includes Audacity. Soundtrap seems to be well thought of, or go for Garageband on your iPad.

I see I'm not needed here.

This. ^
Anyone?

The only thing I'd add to the above advice is that if you've never done any kind of computer based recording then I'd try doing that first before deciding to upload in a podcast format.

No such thing as software that can "produce a great recording on its own" so you should set aside quite some time to learn how to do it properly before you start looking into ways to publish it to the world.

Last edited:
Once you have done your recording always go through with a filter on whatever programme you’re using to finish it off, voice/instruments etc will all go above or below the decibels and need a final edit to make it a ‘final product’ always best to check and double check every part of it to make it the best you can, good luck marra hope it all goes well and link it here or in a pm im sure there’s a few on here will happily listen and give you honest feedback 👍

Bandlab is a browser based DAW. Intention is to make it easy to share and collaborate with other musicians. If you're doing simple stuff it might be enough for you. You'd still need USB mics or interface to capture your sound inputs. I'm using Reaper 6. It's a simple yet powerful DAW with 60 day evaluation period (only $60 if you want to buy it). Lots of lite/free versions of other DAWs and you usually get one included when buying an interface.

Back