Pod style coffee machines

Forget the coffee bag type ones - tassimo etc.

For what you ask for, I would go for a nespresso-based machine, then get the 3rd party pods. They make a cracking shot of espresso. @jedi_toaster runs a branch of Costa IIRC, and yet he has one of these things at home!
First I would go into somewhere like currys though and have a look at the size of bean to cup machines, they aren't all massive.
I sold my massive one, and bought a slimline one instead. Delonghi Authentica Plus - Its barely bigger than some of the nespresso machines:
Only issues I have with it are the steam wand isn't all that powerful - but it was the same with my last machine. Also, the "tea" button - i.e. hot water - isn't boiling water, it comes out at 80C. So its useless for tea (unless green)

Wait till black friday if you can - there will be massive discounts.

Last edited:

Forget the coffee bag type ones - tassimo etc.

For what you ask for, I would go for a nespresso-based machine, then get the 3rd party pods. They make a cracking shot of espresso. @jedi_toaster runs a branch of Costa IIRC, and yet he has one of these things at home!

I sold my massive one, and bought a slimline one instead. Delonghi Authentica Plus - Its barely bigger than some of the nespresso machines:

Thats the thing, they've come a long way now - they aren't all huge beats which takeover a kitchen bench and you still get that amazing coffee

Had a dolce gusto for years now, loads of different flavours to suit your taste.
I only use it for lattes and the advantage is that every one tastes exactly the same, basically if you like it then its spot on.

I've had one of these for about six years and not let me down. Loads of different pods out there and just about finding which ones you like. Some are terrible but you can get some very good ones. For value for money, I tend to wait until the L'Or ones are on sale on Amazon.

Personally I grind my beans and use a gaggia classic - have done for years

if I was looking now I’d get a bean to cup setup

nespresso is good though

have got a dolce gusto at work and it just seems weird especially the milk pods

Delonghi magnifica bean to cup we have, million times better than the pods. I have my old dolce gusto on my desk at work cos it's better than the vending machine or instant coffee

Push the boat out and get a bean to cup machine. You'll save in the long run as beans are cheaper than pods. My parents have a nespresso and only get the nespresso pods so it works out 35-40p a cup. Tried loads of cheaper pods and eventually realised the proper ones were worth the extra.

As noted, Nespresso is great, I've tried a lot if the 3rd party capsules, in my experience they rate as lifting to shit, stick with the original pods.
Also got a wilfa brewer and grinder, really simple to make consistently great filter coffee, no barista training required!

Back