Plumbing advice

EcosseMackem

Striker
Looking for some advice for a plumbing problem

We had a cistern replaced last week but afterwards the flush is very weak in comparison to the old cistern

What is noticeably different is that the old cistern flushed from the back of the bowl whereas the new one swirls clockwise from the RHS of the bowl and is as weak as piss (excuse pun) in comparison

I've compared the flush mechanism to the other bathroom and the new one is at a right angle to the position of the other loo

2 questions

Would it make a difference to the flush if I was able to place the new one in the same position as the old one

How difficult would it be turning it round, would I be likely to break the seal at the bottom of the cistern

Thanks in advance guys

Looking for some advice for a plumbing problem

We had a cistern replaced last week but afterwards the flush is very weak in comparison to the old cistern

What is noticeably different is that the old cistern flushed from the back of the bowl whereas the new one swirls clockwise from the RHS of the bowl and is as weak as piss (excuse pun) in comparison

I've compared the flush mechanism to the other bathroom and the new one is at a right angle to the position of the other loo

2 questions

Would it make a difference to the flush if I was able to place the new one in the same position as the old one

How difficult would it be turning it round, would I be likely to break the seal at the bottom of the cistern

Thanks in advance guys
Leave it alone. Old cistern, age dependant, will have been a 7 or 9l flush new one will be circa 5l .Increase the level slightly and it should improve. Dont start f***ing round with syphons or flushes cos you`ll only bugger the seals up and be crying that your flooded

Leave it alone. Old cistern, age dependant, will have been a 7 or 9l flush new one will be circa 5l .Increase the level slightly and it should improve. Dont start f***ing round with syphons or flushes cos you`ll only bugger the seals up and be crying that your flooded
it was a new cistern replacing a new cistern

Is the cistern filling up near to the top after being flushed?
All the settings are the same as in the other loo and it fills to the same level
The only difference is that the flapper is turned to the right whereas the old one was straight on if that makes sense

Last edited:
I have the old style but found there is a plastic screw that when turned can make it fill up more because that big red ball thing has more leeway. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hijack a thread but anybody roughly what it would cost to move a radiator 2 foot forward. I have a small radiator in a bay window and i want to box the bottom of the bay and fit a new much larger radiator.

It's best to just take that little screw out all together for a stronger flush.
:lol: f***ing hell man Teed

it was a new cistern replacing a new cistern

All the settings are the same as in the other loo and it fills to the same level
The only difference is that the flapper is turned to the right whereas the old one was straight on if that makes sense
wont make a difference matey it`ll still operate the same

just a thought op but the flush isnt different to the old one is it? ie hold it down for a full flush on the new one rather than press and let go for a full flush? or Vice versa

My toilet seems to flush itself every so often, the water doesn't flush out, but it makes the noise.

There's a constant dripping noise aswell which I can't find, not leaking onto the floor but a dripping some where.

Anyone know how to fix it. Sorry for the hijack

My toilet seems to flush itself every so often, the water doesn't flush out, but it makes the noise.

Its just the ghost taking a shit.

There's a constant dripping noise aswell which I can't find, not leaking onto the floor but a dripping some where.

Try turning the screw, it fixed the dripping noise on mine.

just a thought op but the flush isnt different to the old one is it? ie hold it down for a full flush on the new one rather than press and let go for a full flush? or Vice versa

It's a like for like swap mate - he changed the cistern but put the existing flush etc back in
The whole thing is only a few months old
it's a brand new house

However the flush does not work the same way as it did
now when you press it does the full flush without the option for a half flush

:lol: f***ing hell man Teed

wont make a difference matey it`ll still operate the same

There definitely does not seem to be the same volume of water

Last edited:
It's a like for like swap mate - he changed the cistern but put the existing flush etc back in
The whole thing is only a few months old
it's a brand new house

However the flush does not work the same way as it did
now when you press it does the full flush without the option for a half flush

There definitely does not seem to be the same volume of water
then adjust the fill valve unless you mean the volume entering the pan. he may have knocked the peg out for a half flush depends what valve is in or he may have even cropped summat into the pan and restricted it

Last edited:
This! Messed about with mine and then while resting it in the sink it smashed along with the sink! Thought fuck it and knocked down a wall and did my whole bathroom over the next few weeks. (I was going to do it anyway but was hoping to leave it till next year) my butter fingers forced my hand:lol:

Back