Plucking Pheasants.

Just done 4. Not much better than Pheasant. Slow cooker in rich thick gravy.
These were shot Sunday thus 4 days is the longest I leave them. Been kept in the garage.
Can’t get given enough here like. Got another 2 coming Xmas day.

Anyone else like it or anyone not tried them?
Superior to chicken in my opinion.

Country bumpkin life.

Love them.... and yes, far better than flavourless chicken!! Roast them sometimes.... but when the weather's cold then a casserole with a lot of root veg is yummy!.... last couple of times I've added a haggis, chop it up a bit and then it breaks down and makes a lovely thick sauce....

Surprising amount of meat on them . Way better than chicken or fuccing turkey which is what we get every year .

Cock birds much bigger aren’t they.
We have a residential pheasant that visits our garden everyday to pick up seeds next to the bird table. The dog goes mental when he sees him mind you the daft mutt is always waging his tail.

Well worth a try mate.... don't need a huge haggis to do it either.... one of the little ones out of Tesco is enough to melt into everything...

Will try that mate just mentioned to the Mrs.
Best to chop it up and bake it or stick it in the slow cooker.

Regional specialities.
Have you heard of lardy cake up there?
Had a stottie in Blythe years back (hope spelling right).
Lardy cake is like a current bun pasted and cooked in lard. As far as I know only sold in these parts. Not recommended if you have high cholesterol or are in a diet :)

Last edited:
Cock birds much bigger aren’t they.
We have a residential pheasant that visits our garden everyday to pick up seeds next to the bird table. The dog goes mental when he sees him mind you the daft mutt is always waging his tail.

Will try that mate just mentioned to the Mrs.
Best to chop it up and bake it or stick it in the slow cooker.

Regional specialities.
Have you heard of lardy cake up there?
Had a stottie in Blythe years back (hope spelling right).
Lardy cake is like a current bun pasted and cooked in lard. As far as I know only sold in these parts. Not recommended if you have high cholesterol or are in a diet :)

For the pheasants... I tend to joint them, or just chop them in half... can flour and then brown them in a pan if you're keen..... then add all the root veg and some good stock... chop the haggis into something like 1/2"-1" cubes and add... they will soften as it cooks in the stock and then melt to make a nice thick gravy.... slow bake or slow cooker will do....

Heard of Lardy Cake before but never had one..... probably just as well with my cholesterol! :)

Just done 4. Not much better than Pheasant. Slow cooker in rich thick gravy.
These were shot Sunday thus 4 days is the longest I leave them. Been kept in the garage.
Can’t get given enough here like. Got another 2 coming Xmas day.

Anyone else like it or anyone not tried them?
Superior to chicken in my opinion.

Country bumpkin life.

Do you do game chips too?

When I was in my teens, I went up to Scotland to grouse beat for 6 weeks. The hoi polloi used to send down the unused birds to the bothie where we lived, and 1st time, thought, get in, lovely expensive food instead of soup or beans. They even used to send venison down as well. f***ing rank -hated it, and hate it still. Whisky was great, though.

Not a fan of it, got a brace last year and was really looking forward to it. We roasted them though so maybe your slow cooker suggestion will be better.

Back