PlayStation classic

That's probably why the won't release one for a while yet, as they probably think it isn't old enough to re-release.
It's may be less a case of being long enough and more a case of production costs.
In my experience PS2 emulation has only became manageable on an average PC over the last 3 or maybe 4 years (longer on higher end rigs obviously).

I was emulating PS1 games without issue on a £400 i3 laptop over a decade ago.

It's may be less a case of being long enough and more a case of production costs.
In my experience PS2 emulation has only became manageable on an average PC over the last 3 or maybe 4 years (longer on higher end rigs obviously).

I was emulating PS1 games without issue on a £400 i3 laptop over a decade ago.
So, they couldn't just rebuild a smaller version properly with new technology? it has to be emulated. sounds daft I know :lol:

So, they couldn't just rebuild a smaller version properly with new technology? it has to be emulated. sounds daft I know :lol:
I'm honestly not sure. You need more power to emulate because you're also running a whole host of other things in the background too (e.g. the OS on your PC).

Could you just chuck the bios for a PS2 onto a mini version and slap in a few roms?

It's just nicking the idea from Nintendo that you can re-release any old shite as "retro".
Of course they are. :lol:

If the NES and SNES mini sold nowt this wouldn't exist.

I'm honestly not sure. You need more power to emulate because you're also running a whole host of other things in the background too (e.g. the OS on your PC).
There's a definite overhead in emulating hardware - but at the same time, CPU power is VASTLY higher than it was then, and at a much smaller power demand. So the power usage today might still be smaller, despite doing 10x as much actual work.

The thing is, emulation is fine for someone at home, but its never 100% perfect. For that, you pretty much need real hardware.

Could you just chuck the bios for a PS2 onto a mini version and slap in a few roms?

Of course they are. :lol:

If the NES and SNES mini sold nowt this wouldn't exist.

It's bizare really how the human mind longs for nostalgia. If a PS1 came out now with that hardware it would be laughed off the market

Back