#PlayersTogether statement...

Perfect.
players can donate what they feel they can and can see where it’s going.
imo the hold up was that they didn’t want a cut in wages to be swallowed up by the clubs.
I’d like the pot reviewed at certain points aswell so if it can be used elsewhere eventually like grass roots footy that would be even better.
help for those who need it now and anything else filtered down to the place where it started for them.

In the long term, we shouldn’t need to rely on these lads or any volunteers, ex workers or other big donators etc to bail the government out of a tight spot. However glad they’ve decided to stand up and do the right thing. Let’s hope the majority do. I’m sure they will.
Let’s hope we get a similar Public outcry and as a consequence, a tweet from Footy club owners and board members, top agents, top actors, golfers, tennis players, formula 1 drivers and anyone else earning fortunate enough to earn millions for doing something they love.
not to mention billionaire, millionaire business people, bankers, stockbrokers and general rich rich people who could easily give a small percentage of their fortune to help out at this horrendous time while not really making a dent in their personal fortune.
( I’m aware some probably already have )
My rant is at the twats who won’t.
daniel levy for example got a 3 million bonus for spurs stadium. Could he not donate a good chunk of that ??? Think I read he made 7 million last year. Could he not chop 2 million quid off and come out looking and feeling a lot better ????
Perfect.
imo the hold up was that they didn’t want a cut in wages to be swallowed up by the clubs.
I’d like the pot reviewed at certain points aswell so if it can be used elsewhere eventually like grass roots footy that would be even better.
help for those who need it now and anything else filtered down to the place where it started for them.

In the long term, we shouldn’t need to rely on these lads or any volunteers, ex workers or other big donators etc to bail the government out of a tight spot. However glad they’ve decided to stand up and do the right thing. Let’s hope the majority do. I’m sure they will.
Let’s hope we get a similar Public outcry and as a consequence, a tweet from Footy club owners and board members, top agents, top actors, golfers, tennis players, formula 1 drivers and anyone else earning fortunate enough to earn millions for doing something they love.
not to mention billionaire, millionaire business people, bankers, stockbrokers and general rich rich people who could easily give a small percentage of their fortune to help out at this horrendous time while not really making a dent in their personal fortune.
daniel levy for example got a 3 million bonus for spurs stadium. Could he not donate a good chunk of that ??? Think I read he made 7 million last year. Could he not chop 2 million quid off and come out looking and feeling a lot better ????
Don’t get me started in Richard Branson an all.
Perfect.

Don’t get me started in Richard Branson an all.
Fuck me man. Replying to my own comments 😂
Time to go.
Stay safe peeps.

Last edited:

Just to play devils advocate for a second, there's no mention of how many players are taking part, or how much they're contributing here.
Of course, its great overall and I'm sure its not this ---> But if its about 30 players, and 10 bob each, it's not quite the same as how people are thinking it will be.
Tin hat on, I'm just making a point.
I expected a lot of grief for this post, but hardly got any.

Then I just read this:
>"Donations to the initiative will be anonymous and depend on what players are "comfortable with donating". "

Its actually is starting to look like a situation where it could very well be a smokescreen to deflect from the original idea of 30% of wages. Now its "whatever you like, if you like, and nobody will take a record of your name - so nobody knows".
Which is very similar to "about 30 players, and 10 bob each"

By the way, I don't think this is Henderson's fault whatsoever, he's trying to do something great of his own back - I'm certainly not having a go at him - there's only so much one player can do on his own.

What has been agreed could end up being tantamount to very little whilst doing a perfect job of making people stop talking about footballers sat at home, earning a fortune while there's no football on (whether that's actually true or not, that has been a strong narrative recently).

Or am I being cynical?

I expected a lot of grief for this post, but hardly got any.

Then I just read this:
>"Donations to the initiative will be anonymous and depend on what players are "comfortable with donating". "

Its actually is starting to look like a situation where it could very well be a smokescreen to deflect from the original idea of 30% of wages. Now its "whatever you like, if you like, and nobody will take a record of your name - so nobody knows".
Which is very similar to "about 30 players, and 10 bob each"

By the way, I don't think this is Henderson's fault whatsoever, he's trying to do something great of his own back - I'm certainly not having a go at him - there's only so much one player can do on his own.

What has been agreed could end up being tantamount to very little whilst doing a perfect job of making people stop talking about footballers sat at home, earning a fortune while there's no football on (whether that's actually true or not, that has been a strong narrative recently).

Or am I being cynical?

'...so I better lay it on a bit thicker'

My point still stands tbh. No-one needs to know figures, what would be the benefit?

Good lad.

Maybe Matt Hancock can stop trying to score cheap political points now.

He'll probably try to take the plaudits for it, saying it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him. Even though JH had started the ball rolling earlier.

Got to say I couldn't be more proud of our Jordan. I imagine he will be getting a great reception around the country when normality returns.

Last edited:
'...so I better lay it on a bit thicker'

My point still stands tbh. No-one needs to know figures, what would be the benefit?
After the initial media noise, a figure of 30% was pushed forward and the media instantly backed off.
Then the players said "no, we don't think this would help as that money wouldn't go to the places it is needed".
There was no talk of the 30% figure being unpallatable. This was a perfectly reasonable response; wanting to know where that sizeable chunk of money was going is absolutely their right.

But what's actually happened is that the 30% figure has been completely thrown out of the window in favour of a number that will not be disclosed & will only be given by players who decide they want to give away their cash. Its fundamentally different, and without any question, its a fraction of what was first envisioned.

If they'd said originally "nah, we're not all giving away 30% of our money", I think there'd have been a massive backlash - yet this is exactly what is going to happen. Its actually a classic bait and switch.

He'll probably try to take the plaudits for it, saying it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him. Even though JH had started the ball rolling earlier.

Got to say I couldn't be more proud of our Jordan.

Populist open goal for him. For years we've had the Facebook 'GIVE SOLJAZ FOOTBALLAZ WAJIZ' shite and he just repeated similar on national TV. f***ing dweeb that he is.
After the initial media noise, a figure of 30% was pushed forward and the media instantly backed off.
Then the players said "no, we don't think this would help as that money wouldn't go to the places it is needed".
There was no talk of the 30% figure being unpallatable. This was a perfectly reasonable response; wanting to know where that sizeable chunk of money was going is absolutely their right.

But what's actually happened is that the 30% figure has been completely thrown out of the window in favour of a number that will not be disclosed & will only be given by players who decide they want to give away their cash. Its fundamentally different, and without any question, its a fraction of what was first envisioned.

If they'd said originally "nah, we're not all giving away 30% of our money", I think there'd have been a massive backlash - yet this is exactly what is going to happen. Its actually a classic bait and switch.

How do you know?

Last edited:
Populist open goal for him. For years we've had the Facebook 'GIVE SOLJAZ FOOTBALLAZ WAJIZ' shite and he just repeated similar on national TV. f***ing dweeb that he is.
See, I'm totally against that. Football generates its own money, and that money has to go somewhere. The players deserve the lion's share of that money (what's the alternative, a handful of owners pocket the lot?)
The TV rights are sold to the highest bidder, nobody forces them to bid. Footballers wages are entirely fine by me.

Just a thought, wonder if he appeals to MP's to donate the £10k they've just been gifted, for working from home, to NHS charities?

I just always feel a bit uncomfortable when people start targeting "Premier league footballers" because it's such an easy, populist target. As mentioned the vast majority of their pay is PAYE so these are people taking private money and contributing vast sums in tax. The owners of the clubs should be doing more to ensure lower paid staff aren't suffering financially imo, rather than expecting the players to pay for it. The thing that really annoys me is that the amounts we're talking about will be absolutely dwarfed by the amounts that, imo, the likes of amazon should be paying for all their sales in the UK. If they really want to get more money into the system to help support the NHS and those who need it, targeting these companies seems a much more sensible place to start

Burnley defender Ben Mee.
“Jordan Henderson might be the captain of the European champions but he is also a working-class lad from Sunderland who deserves full credit for bringing us all together, showing what makes a true leader.”
“From the moment Jordan called me, the Premier League captains have worked tirelessly to ensure we could get #PlayersTogether in place in such a short time.”

Bournemouth skipper Simon Francis: “Henderson called each of us captains individually last week to explain his donation plan and everyone quickly got on board.
“He led our Zoom conference calls, has been active on the group chat and got his point across superbly.
“It has given those of us who have not played alongside him a great insight into his leadership skills.
“He’s effectively been the captain of this group of players involved in the initiative.”

Wolves captain Conor Coady also heaped praise on Henderson, saying: “The initiative he’s done is fantastic, he spoke to us a lot about what he wants to do and how he wants to bring everyone together.”
“Henderson came up with it a few weeks ago and spoke to all the players.”
“I’ve seen people saying it was something that could’ve been done sooner, but it’s tough, you’ve got to speak to all of the players in the Premier League.
“The initiative he’s done is fantastic, he spoke to us a lot about what he wants to do and how he wants to bring everyone together.
“And everyone is coming together, it’s a massive thing and something we’re all willing to be a part of.”

Burnley defender Ben Mee.
“Jordan Henderson might be the captain of the European champions but he is also a working-class lad from Sunderland who deserves full credit for bringing us all together, showing what makes a true leader.”
“From the moment Jordan called me, the Premier League captains have worked tirelessly to ensure we could get #PlayersTogether in place in such a short time.”

Bournemouth skipper Simon Francis: “Henderson called each of us captains individually last week to explain his donation plan and everyone quickly got on board.
“He led our Zoom conference calls, has been active on the group chat and got his point across superbly.
“It has given those of us who have not played alongside him a great insight into his leadership skills.
“He’s effectively been the captain of this group of players involved in the initiative.”

Wolves captain Conor Coady also heaped praise on Henderson, saying: “The initiative he’s done is fantastic, he spoke to us a lot about what he wants to do and how he wants to bring everyone together.”
“Henderson came up with it a few weeks ago and spoke to all the players.”
“I’ve seen people saying it was something that could’ve been done sooner, but it’s tough, you’ve got to speak to all of the players in the Premier League.
“The initiative he’s done is fantastic, he spoke to us a lot about what he wants to do and how he wants to bring everyone together.
“And everyone is coming together, it’s a massive thing and something we’re all willing to be a part of.”
Superb that.
U can’t just expect people to give the money they earn to whatever cause is the most needy at any given time.
the fact premier league footballers get paid ridiculously isn’t they’re problem.
they do however pay an awful lot of tax back because of the money they earn.
There are plenty other people in this country we could go after for donations but don’t for whatever reason.
the fact one of our own has led a group that will no doubt be giving substantial amounts is brilliant.
There will be a lot of foreign players wanting to contribute to their own countries aswell so fair play to each and everyone of them who does.
End of the day it’s their money and they should do as they feel with it.
I’d be amazed though if the vast majority weren’t giving vast sums to help out.

Last edited:

Most Premiership players are mega-rich compared to the likes of Sunderland supporters. Wouldn't it be nice to have unanimity between the players like at Barcelona?

Most Premiership players are mega-rich compared to the likes of Sunderland supporters. Wouldn't it be nice to have unanimity between the players like at Barcelona?

Why have a blanket 70% cut when a few players might give a few quid and nobody will ever know?

It did the trick though, the media have moved on - the players are largely sitting at home, coining it in, and doing nowt. Yeah, a few are doing some really great things, but the majority aren't.

Back