Players Who Suddenly Turned Shit

Torres went from unplayable to a complete shadow of himself the second he moved to Chelsea. He was only 26 too.

65 goals in 102 games at Liverpool and then 20 in 110 for Chelsea.

He never recovered post Chelsea. In the 12 seasons from leaving Liverpool he only hit double figures in one of those seasons. Pre-Chelsea he had hit double figures 8 times out of 9 top flight seasons in Spain and England.

actually he was already on the slide when he moved, those 65 in 100 games I bet he scored about 40 in his first 50 then 25 in his next 50

Im sorry mate, but anyone outside of Bolton would likely agree with me.

We’ve all had them, players we see something in that’s not there, but we like them so wish it was so. There were plenty in here thought Cattermole should have played for England.

The simple fact is he was not good enough, and failed in even the lower leagues for the majority of his career.
They'd be wrong then.

He had it all, pace, power, good in the air and a superb finisher.

His career went rapidly down hill after he left Bolton but prior to that he was the real deal.

Matty Piper.
Injury.
I'll raise you a Kevin Davies. A poor player picked on a bit of good form when he was 33. My god.
I'll raise you a Kevin Davies. A poor player picked on a bit of good form when he was 33. My god.
Davies took Chesterfield to the FA Cup semi final when he was 17 or summit. He was a helluva prospect but Allardyce turned him into a target man but he could’ve been so much more. I suppose he won’t care when he looks at his bank account.

Last edited:
Torres went from unplayable to a complete shadow of himself the second he moved to Chelsea. He was only 26 too.

65 goals in 102 games at Liverpool and then 20 in 110 for Chelsea.

He never recovered post Chelsea. In the 12 seasons from leaving Liverpool he only hit double figures in one of those seasons. Pre-Chelsea he had hit double figures 8 times out of 9 top flight seasons in Spain and England.
He was fucked after his injury at Liverpool and they knew it, hence the sale

Brilliant till they signed for Sunderland
Jermain lens
Giaccherini
Angeleri
Scocco
Alvarez
Never checked but I’d guess that they went on to be great again when leaving us

Not Premier League level but Jordan Rhodes.

Went from banging them in for fun in the championship, seemed like a Prem team should have signed him, even had Man United linked at one point but before that happened he suddenly stopped scoring and turned shit.

Think he had 1 season in the Prem with Boro and did fuck all.

Only seen Michael Owen mentioned in passing but there's a career that didn't live up anywhere near to it's initial potential. I know hamstring injuries played a huge part in that but his attitude really didn't help either. Made the fatal mistake of getting into bed with the dark side and was then tarnished for the rest of his career.

Dead funny when he refused to play in their relegation battle though whilst simultaneously taking his wages home in a sizeable wheelbarrow.

Anyone remember that french bloke the mags signed. Golden boot winner, World cup winner with France in 98....

Played about half a dozen games.

Cant remember his name, just remember a mag I know going on and on about him after France 98

Anyone remember that french bloke the mags signed. Golden boot winner, World cup winner with France in 98....

Played about half a dozen games.

Cant remember his name, just remember a mag I know going on and on about him after France 98
TBF he was a 1 in 3 striker his whole career, and even at the Mags he scored 1 goal in 4 appearances. I think it was probably more to do with the Dalglish/Gullit situations than his performances at the Mags that he’s perceived as crap.

Scored 6 goals in 18 games for both the Mags and Rangers that season.

Alexis Sanchez is the one that immediately springs to mind. World class at Arsenal, absolutely carried Arsene Wenger for years. Then went to Man Utd and has been dog 💩 ever since

Jens Lehman fell apart all of a sudden at the start of 2007-08 for Arsenal and led to Manuel Almunia becoming number one. Almunia in that season was pretty good and I remember there was talk of him getting called up for England as he was shortly due to gain UK citizenship. Then Almunia fell apart not long later leading to Wojciech Szczęsny becoming number one and he did decent for a couple of years before ... falling apart.

Alexis Sanchez is the one that immediately springs to mind. World class at Arsenal, absolutely carried Arsene Wenger for years. Then went to Man Utd and has been dog 💩 ever since

People were talking about him suffering burn out a while ago due to the amount of games he plays for Chile alongside his club sides. It seems to have come true.

Back