Players 'dropping down' teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleem Dar

Striker
Article of sorts in this months The Cricketer.

A player in Hampshire - who had played 12 first class games - played for the 2nd team after the 1sts had been called off. He went on to score 330 in 160 balls, out of his teams 412.

Fair play, or taking the piss?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWPg8gzDGk[/ame]

Taking the piss, I remember whe GFCC 2 XI played Eppleton in a play off. It was a week after the regular season had finished. During the season we had stuffed them twice home and away but due to the weather we had more games called off than them.

WE turned up at their place for the game and 80% of their first team was playing including Jimmy Daley who had just been playing for Durham.

Needless to say we got stuffed out of site.

Cheating Pityacker bastards!!

Article of sorts in this months The Cricketer.

A player in Hampshire - who had played 12 first class games - played for the 2nd team after the 1sts had been called off. He went on to score 330 in 160 balls, out of his teams 412.

Fair play, or taking the piss?

he'd only palyed 12 first class games like, i'd say thats fairplay, but it is hardly a crime is it, playing seconds?

diva played for ours recently to prove his fitness and scored 170 odd off 110 balls or summut like that. so what? its not like they count towards your career average

Twisted said:
he'd only palyed 12 first class games like, i'd say thats fairplay, but it is hardly a crime is it, playing seconds?

diva played for ours recently to prove his fitness and scored 170 odd off 110 balls or summut like that. so what? its not like they count towards your career average

Ruins the match completely if someones too good, goes against the spirit of the game too.

Ruins the match completely if someones too good, goes against the spirit of the game too.

i see your points of course, but you could counter that by saying it will be great for the specators to see such a talented performer in an arena they normally wouldnt and it will be great for the teams, those getting to play with such a alented individual and those getting to face them.

say youre a 2nds player who's faced durham this year and you bowl diva or blacky, or bat and make a decent score against steve harmison and liam plunkett, do you think you'd trade that for anything?

it would be the best moment of your cricketing career

All depends on the specifics of the situation I reckon.

A 2nd XI should generally be there to produce players for the 1st XI (whole can of worms here as in most clubs it gets very political with some people "choosing" to only play at a certain level but we won't get into that).

I am fine with players using it on return from a spell out (ie. Injury) but simply dropping down a level because the 1st XI is off is unacceptable.

Really needs clubs to act within the spirit of the game. Not much you can do rules wise as by imposing restrictions on players who have played a certain % of first team games could ultimately mean a lad who has played half the season in the 1st XI would not be allowed to play 2nd team games, even if he is dropped.

The Leinster League here have a "starring" system in that 8 players are starred as 1.1 and therefore cannot play in a second eleven match. The remaining 3 players are starred as 1.2 and only one of those can play in a second eleven match.
It seems to be a fair system but very confusing as the starrings are changed on a fortnightly (i think) basis.
Problems can occur when a first teamer has been away for 2 weeks and is not starred and can then play second team as well as first. With our club we only have a first and second eleven and both teams don't play on the same day. Other clubs have upto 7 or 8 teams which is why the starring system came in to stop players playing below their level!

We had a team in the midweek league few years ago travel miles for a couple of first teamers to batter our team of bar lads and kids it became a farce

Our midweeks consist of bar lads kids 3rd teamers and a couple of proper cricketers all get involved. The VH league is played in good spirit that's what it's about at that level

We had a team in the midweek league few years ago travel miles for a couple of first teamers to batter our team of bar lads and kids it became a farce

Our midweeks consist of bar lads kids 3rd teamers and a couple of proper cricketers all get involved. The VH league is played in good spirit that's what it's about at that level

That's what I love about the midweek XIs, if it's played in the proper spirit where winning is very much secondary to playing the game, it's great fun. Our midweek XI has a couple of old farts, couple of kids, couple of lasses (no) and a few lads who are either crap (me) or just fancy a bit of midweek hit and giggle.

It's a pity when you get teams turning up with half the first team in their midweek XI for a friendly, but it serves them right when the game is over after an hour and a half tops.

chelt_mackem said:
That's what I love about the midweek XIs, if it's played in the proper spirit where winning is very much secondary to playing the game, it's great fun. Our midweek XI has a couple of old farts, couple of kids, couple of lasses (no) and a few lads who are either crap (me) or just fancy a bit of midweek hit and giggle.

It's a pity when you get teams turning up with half the first team in their midweek XI for a friendly, but it serves them right when the game is over after an hour and a half tops.

The VH league has a decent spirit of competitiveness enough to make the games have a bit edge every team has a few cricketers that can lift the team if needed but none are in it for personal glory ( to my knowledge)

Taking the piss, I remember whe GFCC 2 XI played Eppleton in a play off. It was a week after the regular season had finished. During the season we had stuffed them twice home and away but due to the weather we had more games called off than them.

WE turned up at their place for the game and 80% of their first team was playing including Jimmy Daley who had just been playing for Durham.

Needless to say we got stuffed out of site.

Cheating Pityacker bastards!!

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back